Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Sonata and about 4-5 months ago I replaced the engine (2.4l) I got it from a wrecking yard and it came out of a 2004 Santa Fe. The car ran good but our neighbor needed a car so we let her borrow it and while she had it she burned up the tranny. I finally was able to come up with a tranny from a wrecking yard that had 53,000 miles on it. I put the tranny in and went out to see if it would work. The car goes in reverse fine but when I put it in drive it moves a few feet then drops out. I can put it into low and start out that way then shift it up into drive and it shifts fine. I do not have a code reader / scanner so I can't see what is happening. The engine is running like crap too... is there anything that I should have done with the ecm when replacing either the motor or tranny?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's not like the old days. Probably there is a world of difference between a '99 Sonata trans and a '04 Santa Fe trans. While they bolt up okay, the shift points are different, the gearing, the TCM, and who knows what else. Is your car build before 03-10-1999 or after... (because something was different... God only knows, but they were different somehow)?
Not having a scanner is definitely not a good thing. Do you have a CEL? Hard to say what the problem is with the motor. Did YOU put the trans in, or did a shop do it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine was out of the Santa Fe (2004) I was told the only thing different would be the crank sensor of which I used the one off of the original engine. My Sonata is the late '99 of which that is what they told me the tranny I got was.... I swapped the trannys myself but may need to take to the shop to troubleshoot. I work away from home so next weekend I will try to borrow a scanner to see what codes come up. As I said the engine was running fine until I swapped the trannys :(.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check engine light is on

So I got hold of a code reader and it comes up with no codes found.... the car runs like crap and the check engine light is on.... is there a special scanner / reader for the Hyundai? or will any OBDII work?:confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any scanner should work but not all will read transmission codes. Recheck all your connections , vacuum lines ect. Poor running engine can affect shift points. Did all the sensors look the same on the new transmission , everything a direct swap ? Just curious , what was the original transmissions symptoms ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts