Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My girlfriends 2008 Elantra just had its timing belt replaced but now it wont turn over after sitting for a day. We have replaced the battery but that has not helped, the car will turn over after a jump start but wont start on its own. We've tested the battery and everyone has said the battery is fine. I'm not sure what the problem could be and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,175 Posts
It won't crank unless you jump it? Defo something not right with the battery connections, assuming the battery isn't flat. Try removing the battery terminals and clean the posts to see if that helps. If not you'll need a voltmeter to figure out why the power from the battery isn't getting to the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Ill give that a shot after work, I'm hoping its nothing too major. Her car has "died" twice today already. Could there be a problem with the starter if its not getting power or is it gonna be a battery/battery connection issue?

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
If it was the starter that was faulty it would still be faulty when you jump it. The fact that it cranks OK with a jump suggests it's a power supply issue.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Also check the earth going to the engine. I have seen them left off after major repairs. I'm asuming your jumping the earth to the engine. Has the engine started after the timing belt replacement?

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Thank you Autospark, it turns out when they installed the battery they did not tighten the terminals enough.
Great, happy to hear it was something that simple. How could that have been missed by whoever checked the battery though. I assume you went to them complaining that the engine sometimes fails to crank. So they check the battery but don't check that the terminals are secured properly. I worry about the future of the motor trade when I hear things like that. How could such a silly mistake happen in the first place then be missed by the next guy to look at the car.

Has the engine started after the timing belt replacement?
Well, he says it died twice so I think that would be yes.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Died as in won't crank or died as in stopped running. I only try to put in my opinions based on what I read. Anyway it's good to see a simple fix. Loose battery terminals can lead to serious post damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts