Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let you all know that it is possible for a do it yourselfer. It took some time and patience but all went well. Basically one nut with a wire and one electrical plug that pulls apart on the solenoid. Then two bolts that go through the bell housing and in to the starter body, a little jiggle and shimmy here and there and it will come out. I found it a little easier to put the back end of the new starter up in to the empty space and then move the end with the gear in to the opening in the bell housing to seat it. It helps to have another set of hands to help start threading the bolts into the new starter while you hold it in the position needed. Anybody have any questions or need a little play by play feel free to contact me.

Jim

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Why were we removing the starter ?

Which engine we playing with ?? The 2.4 or 3.3 ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I would let you all know that it is possible for a do it yourselfer. It took some time and patience but all went well. Basically one nut with a wire and one electrical plug that pulls apart on the solenoid. Then two bolts that go through the bell housing and in to the starter body, a little jiggle and shimmy here and there and it will come out. I found it a little easier to put the back end of the new starter up in to the empty space and then move the end with the gear in to the opening in the bell housing to seat it. It helps to have another set of hands to help start threading the bolts into the new starter while you hold it in the position needed. Anybody have any questions or need a little play by play feel free to contact me.

Jim
How do you get to the starter on your 2010 GLS Sonata......I have the exact car and all the car does now is if you turn the key the starter just starts whizzing and no engine crank. I need to replace the starter also and would appreciate sort of a step by step to get to it. Thankyou so much for your time.......Jim Trimble

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
How do you get to the starter on your 2010 GLS Sonata......I have the exact car and all the car does now is if you turn the key the starter just starts whizzing and no engine crank. I need to replace the starter also and would appreciate sort of a step by step to get to it. Thankyou so much for your time.......Jim Trimble

HEHEHEHEHEHEEEE,, starter just makes spinning sound.. the arm is broken,, service part available for $8 and change, takes 10 minute tops to replace after starter on the bench.. I did someting like 2 or 3 last week or so,, 2 for sure, 1 NF, 1 YF, and 3rd was an in & out for starter bench testing

Starter a lot easier on the NF Sonata than it is the YF... YF has water piping to oil filter block that is in way, the NF dont have piping in way,, it is more open..

Remove a battery cable from battery,

Remove the 4 bolt holding intake support plate to block, move plate out of way

Remove 2 starter bolt holding starter to auto trans

Remove starter so you can easily get at cable to solenoid and solenoid trigger wire connector

Remove starter from car to table top...

Replace arm kit as called out in TSB

Put starter back in car

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 NF Starter replacement

Mine has 78K on it. First problem besides sticking rear rotor.....Does anybody know if the intake support plate that is talked about above is located on top or below the Sonata? Sorry...stupid on this car. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all, my first post, i have a 2010 sonata 149,000 miles 2.4 4 cyl

where exactly is the starter?? ive read and seen a diagram its near the bell housing, but when im under the car i can't see it,,
ive got the starter ,,just frustrated where the heck it is, ive change starters in other cars, but this has me baffled,
any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
187 Posts

Jim
Just what or was the warrenty on your 010 Sonata GLS. I gather it ran out due to miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
2010 ..? 3 years
3 years x 365days x 6 starts(cranks/ day avg)
so the plastic fork would last about 6600 cranks...
not so good..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
SBR 711..

got a pic of the plastic arm? I'm curious..
same material and design...any improvement ..

thx..
Camera been out of commissin for few month now,, it broken..

New part looks like old part, but does appear they changed mold slightly to fill void they had in previous injection mold, leaving weak spot..

Picture a slot cut down the middle of 2x4 --> I_I <---(crude interpretation), only difference I can tell is now that portion of arm is solid square, no slot down middle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts