Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Australian model has a rear reflector with an integrated fog light. There is no fog where I live, so I decided to replace the reflector with an LED retrofit model from Korea.

The two reflectors - LED on top, fog light on bottom

The replacement LED reflector is a perfect fit in the Australian bumper. The original fog light model is deeper to accommodate a globe, but otherwise the units are the same and the attachment points are a match.

It was not necessary to completely remove the bumper to do the installation. I slid out the tail lights and undid the 3 bolts on one side of the sub-frame then removed the side bumper fixings. This gave plenty of room to pull the bumper back and reach the work area. I then repeated this on the other side. Installing the lights was a simple matter of unscrewing one light and screwing in the other after the wiring connections were made. Wiring connections were made by splicing into the appropriate wires leading to the main tail lights. I connected the original fog light wire to the brake circuit on the new LED reflectors, so if there ever is a need for a fog light it will still be there.

Here is the new light in normal lighting mode

and this is the braking mode

The lenses were new Mobis, which had been opened and retrofitted with LED boards. Kits are available online to do this retrofit yourself, but it was not much extra to get the light already installed and sealed.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Very nice!! They match well. Frankly, did not know that Australian versions came with fogs in the rear!!

I have been waiting for an option to be available for the LWB, but in the following style since the surface emitting LED border style will closely match my tail lights, which have the same style when the lights are on:

This is what my tail light looks like, so you can see what I am referring to:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very nice!! They match well. Frankly, did not know that Australian versions came with fogs in the rear!!

I have been waiting for an option to be available for the LWB, but in the following style since the surface emitting LED border style will closely match my tail lights, which have the same style when the lights are on:

http://store.mancandokorea.com/image/cache/data/saewon/camily_reflector_santafe_1-500x500.jpg
I bought that one for my SFS which I am planning to install this weekend. I'll post pics when done :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Australian model has a rear reflector with an integrated fog light. There is no fog where I live, so I decided to replace the reflector with an LED retrofit model from Korea.

The two reflectors - LED on top, fog light on bottom

The replacement LED reflector is a perfect fit in the Australian bumper. The original fog light model is deeper to accommodate a globe, but otherwise the units are the same and the attachment points are a match.

It was not necessary to completely remove the bumper to do the installation. I slid out the tail lights and undid the 3 bolts on one side of the sub-frame then removed the side bumper fixings. This gave plenty of room to pull the bumper back and reach the work area. I then repeated this on the other side. Installing the lights was a simple matter of unscrewing one light and screwing in the other after the wiring connections were made. Wiring connections were made by splicing into the appropriate wires leading to the main tail lights. I connected the original fog light wire to the brake circuit on the new LED reflectors, so if there ever is a need for a fog light it will still be there.

Here is the new light in normal lighting mode

and this is the braking mode

The lenses were new Mobis, which had been opened and retrofitted with LED boards. Kits are available online to do this retrofit yourself, but it was not much extra to get the light already installed and sealed.

SWEET!!...:clap:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I bought that one for my SFS which I am planning to install this weekend. I'll post pics when done :)
I'm envious!! Please do post some pics.

Also, have always been curious if these also have the reflector built in when the lights are off. eg. parked on side of road. I'm pretty sure here it is law to have reflectors on the rear for that very reasons to avoid accidental collisions from not being seen in an unlit area, or in case lights have failed. It looks like the center may still act as a reflector, but would appreciate if you could shine a light on them to see if they still maintain their "reflector" properties.

Thx.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do we have the connectors existing where you can connect these lights, plug & play or you need to tap in with break light harness?

will appreciate your input :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice mod, I done it couple months ago and still enjoy. Added much more light on the back, look cool as **** too.
Not sure how you installed your, I could not take the rear bumper off, end up just installed through the sides of bumper.
So, your version came with OEM hid as well ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
So I tried to install mine today but failed due to lack of tools. I think I'd need angled screw driver but misplaced mine and decided to do it later as it got dark.
To all those who already had replaced the reflectors, how did you manage to unscrew the bolts that are holding the reflector? I pulled side of the rear bumper but there is so little space to work on. :mad:

Have you actually verified that these will fit the North American Santa Fe? The Asian ones look bigger.
Yes, it will fit USDM SFS. As far as I can tell, KDM and USDM share the same size. Maybe you looked at something else??

Also, have always been curious if these also have the reflector built in when the lights are off. eg. parked on side of road. I'm pretty sure here it is law to have reflectors on the rear for that very reasons to avoid accidental collisions from not being seen in an unlit area, or in case lights have failed. It looks like the center may still act as a reflector, but would appreciate if you could shine a light on them to see if they still maintain their "reflector" properties.
Yes, it has reflectors built in the middle.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, it will fit USDM SFS. As far as I can tell, KDM and USDM share the same size. Maybe you looked at something else??

Interesting... I bought the chrome frames for the rear reflectors and they were too big.

·
22,793 Posts
I've always enjoyed the mod look of LED's on the lower portion of the bumper. Any advantage I can get to make the driver behind me sit up and take notice is okay in my book.

Installed a set of these on my Elantra. I absolutely love the look when the lights are on. And the glow they provide when the brake pedal is pressed, AWESOME! I've noticed a reduction in tailgaters, too. Not an overwhelming amount, but enough to take note. Recommend them, highly!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Final got around to doing mines today, had a bit of trouble doing it without removing the bumper cover so had to gave up some pride and called the wifey for her smaller hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Final got around to doing mines today, had a bit of trouble doing it without removing the bumper cover so had to gave up some pride and called the wifey for her smaller hands.
They look nice.
Can I borrow your wife's hands? :) What did she have to do, that you couldn't?
Where did you buy these lights from?
John

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
They look fantastic!!! I want these for my XL/LWB...wish they would make them available!

·
22,793 Posts
...had to gave up some pride and called the wifey for her smaller hands.
Smart move. That is the problem I ran into. Did mine with the bumper installed. Looks great, turned out great. Had the hand cuts to prove it. Should've had the granddaughter over for an assist.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
There are reflector LEDs out there for the LWB, just, not that design...as of yet.
Yes, I am aware. But I want the surface emitting LED reflectors like YellowBox put in his SFS since the design will be an excellent match with my LED tail lights, which also have the surface emitting stripe around the perimeter.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts