Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Santa Fe Sport (fully loaded) had its backup camera act oddly last fall -- blue or black screens randomly but sometimes still working. Was on my list to pull apart and cleanup but then it totally failed midwinter. Black screen only. Apparently, the first couple model years (2013-2014ish) are prone to get crap inside the camera and destroy the camera. The replacement part is over $200, so that was a no-go for me. The OEM camera is a 6V unit, which is nearly impossible to find, so I had to run a hot wire from the left reverse light to power the 12V camera I bought. (The listing said 12V +/- 6V so i was optimistic and first tried the 6V feed, but it wasn't enough juice to get the camera to work properly, as it sent a jumbled picture.)

I actually used the OEM adapter to interface with the yellow (video feed) and black (ground) lines by cutting the OEM camera lines after the adapter but before the CCD on the old camera. In short, I ran the yellow and black through the original camera adapter/feed, but had to run the red over to the reverse tail light. I think there was also a white cable that I did not hook up.

In the end I bought some clear silicone and put some on the plastic trim below the rear window to keep out most of the water this time. (There's a youtube video that shows this.) I found putting it ON the trim before reinstalling was a lot easier than trying to put it on the car. I also put some around the camera itself, since it had some gaps.

By the way, the camera gets seated by sliding it into place from the REAR. The base of the camera will sit parallel to the ground if you come from the rear. It sits very securely in there.

In any event, I just wanted to share that it CAN be done with a $12 direct-from-China backup camera.

I'm attaching a few photos here that I took. I did cut the "green wire" on the camera because otherwise I had two separate red/yellow/green overlays on the video. By cutting the green, you'll only see the Santa Fe's overlay.

Ebay listing was at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-S...-Reversing-Line-Camera-20MM-IP68/112570195870

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
At $12...It will be interesting to see if this lasts......Hopefully it is truly IP68 rated as the seller indicates.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the car has 130k miles on it and, from what I read, seems likely to either catch on fire spontaneously or have the engine sieze randomly, so I’ll roll the dice. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to share that this is still going strong after one year. Resolution looks great and is decent in low-light, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts