Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front rotors and front pads, as well as rear pads on my wife's 2015 Santa Fe Sport AWD yesterday and there is a faint "scraping" noise coming from the front driver's side when driving, not when braking. What could that be? Brakes work great, no squeaking or squealing, the scraping noise only happens when you're driving normally.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ne w pads dragging on existing rust rings ?? Was this a "pad slap" (new pad on old rotor faces) or a pad & machine ??

Pics of offending rotors ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced both the pads and the rotors. Both are brand new. I think it might be the dust shield rubbing on the back side of the rotor though, unfortunately I don't have pics right now and can't get under the car until I get home from work tonight.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Agree. Check the shields for contact with the rotors. Happens even in the shop at times and easier for a DIYer working on the ground.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check backing plate first, then you need to check the condition of caliper pistons before pushing in, remove any dust or rust, apply some silicone brake lube if necessary. Do the same thing for caliper guide pins

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
If it was the dust shield then it would most likely happen all the time
The scraping sounds like the pads are dragging on the surface of the rotor
Can happen with cheaper pads with no return spring
And/or slide or guide pins are rusted or sticking
Another possibility is that the caliper bracket was not cleaned and the brake hardware not replaced
This would reduce space for the ears of the pads to back away from rotors.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
scrape scrape scrape scrape scrape

Measure the runout of your new rotors.

Did you clean the hubs prior to installing the rotors? did you clean/inspect the new rotors? did you clean the caliper/bracket pins and bores, grease 'em with silicon and replace their boots? did you test the full travel of the new pads prior to installation? did you torque everything?

Reactions: avisitor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was the dust shield then it would most likely happen all the time
The scraping sounds like the pads are dragging on the surface of the rotor
Can happen with cheaper pads with no return spring
And/or slide or guide pins are rusted or sticking
Another possibility is that the caliper bracket was not cleaned and the brake hardware not replaced
This would reduce space for the ears of the pads to back away from rotors.

I cleaned the bracket and hardware pretty well before putting everything back together. The caliper pins were greased and put back in. Everything was torqued correctly. I’m thinking it’s the pads rubbing possibly or the dust shield. Because it’s a constant faint scraping sound while driving, braking doesn’t decrease or increase the sound either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
I cleaned the bracket and hardware pretty well before putting everything back together. The caliper pins were greased and put back in. Everything was torqued correctly. I’m thinking it’s the pads rubbing possibly or the dust shield. Because it’s a constant faint scraping sound while driving, braking doesn’t decrease or increase the sound either.

Because you said this ...
"Brakes work great, no squeaking or squealing, the scraping noise only happens when you're driving normally."
I had assumed that while you were braking there was no noise

Constant faint scraping and braking doesn't change the sound then it must be the dust shield.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because you said this ...

"Brakes work great, no squeaking or squealing, the scraping noise only happens when you're driving normally."

I had assumed that while you were braking there was no noise

Constant faint scraping and braking doesn't change the sound then it must be the dust shield.

Update everyone: this is now fixed. It was the dust shield rubbing on the back of the rotor. Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts