Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the third brake light bulb on my 08 Accent Hatchback is almost dead. I guess it's a LED module. Only 2 of the whole line is still shimmering. I need to fix it before next inspection. My garage asked $200(100 for part) to replace it. They let me pass the inspection, but they said next year I need to fix it if it's totally gone.

I try to find the part online, it's all cost around $100. It's too much for me. Does anybody know if I can just replace the LED bulbs? Some instructions? I try to find some instructions on Youtube, but no luck.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
in theory its possible...

if you can get LEDs of the correct brightness and size. then you'd have to get the brake light assembly out and take that apart without damaging it...and then solder new LED's in without causing more damage...remember this is not designed to be taken apart, so may be easier said than done.

for $100 you're better off getting a new one and installing it yourself if you're short on cash. it's only $100. its not the end of the world.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
These have failed on the hatchback with some frequency over the years... Probably best to just go ahead and buy a new one (so far I have only seen them serviced as an entire unit.) They had a problem with moisture getting into the unit so if that is the case with yours, who knows what all may be damaged with it.

As zero_gravity said, you may be able to repair. Depends on what your time is worth to you, I suppose.

350 Posts
I went down this road last year.

It would take a LOT of time and effort to replace the LEDs. Not impossible to do.

I bought one online, and spent a few minutes applying some sealer to it prior to installation. It only took 20 minutes, basic tools and some patience with the adhesives to swap the part.

There are instructions on this site, search and you'll find them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts