Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post but actually I'm not "new" - I have been posting under Gigant13 but recently the login via google seems not to work so I created another account.

Back to the question: how difficult is to replace spark plugs? Anyone has a DIY guide? (maybe MrVivona? :))
I was looking at hg manual and it looks like the 3 in the front [LH] are easy but the ones on the [RH] goes like:
1. remove the battery negative terminal
2. Remove the surge tank.
went to Engine Mechanical system - Surge Tank and
2.1 Drain the coolant. (Refer to Cooling System - "Coolant")
2.2 Remove the air cleaner assembly. (Refer to Intake And Exhaust System - "Air Cleaner")
2.3 Disconnect the engine wiring connectors and harness protector on the surge tank. (Refer to Fuel System - "Engine Control System")
And I got lost, do I really need to drain the coolant in order to change a spark plug?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You failed to mention which one: Azera 2015, Genesis Coupe 2013 2.0T, Sonata 2008.
Please complete your new persona details.

·
Registered
330 Posts
he is in the azera forum so i guess its for his azera.

i am changing plugs on my next oil change too. I was planning to change coolant as well just because of that reason.

I'm not sure if it's 100% necessary but might as well change it. Looks relatively easy

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just remove plenum, and change plugs..

Dont need to touch coolant

Dont need to touch battery

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention it :) It is an Azera 2015.
P.S. What's a plenum? :(
A 2015... why are you replacing the plugs on a 2015. Are you already at 105,000 miles?

Plenum is another word for surge tank. It is the section of the intake that goes between the intake manifold and the throttle body.

Are you skilled at auto repair? Removing and replacing these parts requires proper gasket surface cleaning, gasket replacement, torque sequences, etc. Do something incorrectly and you'll have problems. Though it is not the same exact setup as an Azera, this YouTube video will give you an idea of the scope of the project:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrVivona

Nope, just 65k, but I did not check the maintenance manual thinking that at 60K they should be changed regardless... for instance Genesis require changing plugs @ 45k, Sonata @ 90k...
Now after watching that video I decided to wait until 100k, and who knows, by that time there will be a clear video about DIY :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
105k miles on the dot and yesterday got to replace all spark plugs and plenum gasket. No need to drain coolant. Not a hard job just have to know what you are doing. All in all took about 4 hours with in oil change. DIfference in performance is not huge. Just a little bit better response. Also i'm not sure if its just me trying to find more imporvements but i think it got quieter too. Another note, every single part i saw in the engine bay has hyundai/kia marks. Save some money and buy kia parts, the are the same thing. Next is coolant flush and belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts