Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything special I need to know about replacing the stock mirror with the polarizing one? Wiring? Mounting? Is there a video somehere on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
This has been covered in quite a few forums, but there are so many variations of the mirror (its called electrochromic, btw) that you need to be more specific in your request.

Basically, with your car being a 2013 you will need to get the homelink mirror that has the BlueLink buttons on it. Also, you will need the wiring harness as well as an Allen wrench (to loosen the bolt on the existing mirror and tighten the new one). Kits are easy to get on eBay or, if you want, go to the dealer parts counter (forewarning its way more expensive going there!)

Install process is fairly easy...if you are only doing the homelink mirror. If you are doing one with the lcd video screen, that is more complicated.

I did my own install on my 2011 and it was a piece of cake. 25 minutes roughly and you will be in business. Dealer will charge you 1hr labor at minimum plus marked up mirror price. Around 400 bucks all said vs 249 if you do it yourself.

Also--super jealous b/c I want a black Turbo!

·
Registered
508 Posts
About a year ago I purchased a Auto Dimming, Homelink, and Compass mirror on Ebay.

Gentex Homelink Compass Auto Dimming Mirror Kit | eBay

The same seller also offers the same mirror without the homelink and Compass features.

The install was simply replacing the mirror using an allen wrench. Once the mirror is in place, you then tap into three wires (switched positive, constant, and ground) in the overhead light console.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
About a year ago I purchased a Auto Dimming, Homelink, and Compass mirror on Ebay.

The same seller also offers the same mirror without the homelink and Compass features.

The install was simply replacing the mirror using an allen wrench. Once the mirror is in place, you then tap into three wires (switched positive, constant, and ground) in the overhead light console.
Wow, he still does that? I have bought a few from him. I had my MR2 done up in a red display with temp and direction and he was able to rummage up an amber one for my wifes 07 Rav to match the interior lighting.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
+1000 on this seller!! I also bought my mirror from him and his work is very high quality. I have the mirror with the hidden compass (no black box in the corner). The only con is that its a little harder to see vs the regular ones, but it looks awesome. I believe it came out of a Camry. Also he tinted my display to match the Sonata's blue and that also looks really nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Yea I already have the mirror, I made the dealer throw it in for free when I bought the car :)

·
Registered
88 Posts

Is this a Hyundai mirror? (probably a stupid question)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is this a Hyundai mirror? (probably a stupid question)
The mirror I purchased is a generic.

The manufacturer of this mirror (Gentex) also makes the auto dimming mirrors used by most auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Really, there is no "car specific" version of these mirrors. The models break down based on functions and what kind of mirror is being replaced. So you basically have

Gentex (Generic) HL w/compass/temp/video, Auto Dim, and HL only
GM Specific (OnStar replacement) autodim or autodim w/LCD screen (no homelink)
Hyundai Specific (BlueLink replacement) same as Gentex generic but no LCD video available

Connector harnesses are specific to the MIRROR only, not the car. So you could theoretically put a BlueLink mirror into a GM car, but the BL buttons would be useless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts