Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that you might have a problem with AWD if you need to replace one tire and the rest have less than 60% tread left.

See, e.g.:
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article...ns-on-4--all-wheel-drives?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Anyone with actual experience with the Tucson AWD?

I am contemplating the purchase of a used tire with 50% tread left as insurance against having to replace all four tires if one gets damaged.

Ken C

·
Registered
936 Posts
I researched this last month when I replaced all four of my tires. Some things just didn't make since like the use of a spare tire or not doing tire rotations. Both of which you're driving on uneven tire circumferences. Is doing any of the that going to damage the AWD system?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
one tire can be replaced, but you have to know how to go about it properly, which apparently the owner of the tire shop in Pittsburgh or the Jeep owner didn't, even worse clueless enough to drive the car after hearing grinding noises.

There is some allowed differential in wheel speeds before AWD engages and many tire mfg list per mile revolutions - you can see that on Tire Rack, and some shops can wear a new tire down to match as closely what is on the car.

But a good many tire shops will tell you they can't replace just one or two tires on an AWD car, I got around that by buying a tire elsewhere and bringing the shop the wheel removed from the car and they weren't barred from mounting my new tire.

But again it helps if one needs to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Many people replace a tire because they get a nail in it, or some sort of hole. I typically plug my tires myself, it's super easy and anyone capable enough to take a wheel off a vehicle can do it. I've driven for thousands of miles on plugs and never had an issue.

The proper way to fix a hole in a tire is with a patch. It's just as safe as a brand new tire. It's not hard either, just grind the inside of the tire a little and the patch literally sticks inside. The hard part is actually removing the tire from the rim, which most people can't do in their home for today's modern lower profile tires. You need a tire machine to do it properly, quickly and easily. Any tire shop could do it, but not all will do the patch job. My recommendation, whenever possible is to find your goto tire shop that does patch jobs, and if you ever get a flat, put the spare on and get it patched. You could also try to plug it yourself, and drive it to the shop, then have them patch it.

I think you should try a plug/patch first before getting a new tire. That way all your tire wear is is the same as if the tire was never damaged.

Keep this in the back of your car with a 12v tire inflator. Only use fix-a-flat as a last resort as it makes a mess inside the tire:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Repair-Kit-CarCoo-Insertion/dp/B01MZ0E3LD/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519652695&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tire+patch+kit&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Aren't these 4wd systems the auto-type? Basically fwd with occasional 4wd application if required. I doubt they are anywhere near as fussy as a Subaru or Audi Quattro system where tyre circumferences are near critical. Most of us probably will never actually get the rear wheels to receive power? What does the user manual say?

The other side of the coin for me is that I usually feel a tyre's wet performance dropping off at about 3mm tread depth. If we start with 7.5 or 8 mm, 50% wear is max. 4 mm left. I would probably be throwing out the set fairly soon so having to bring forward the tyre purchase a little because of an irrepairable tyre at 50% worn is not such a pain at the end of the day.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Many people replace a tire because they get a nail in it, or some sort of hole. I typically plug my tires myself, it's super easy and anyone capable enough to take a wheel off a vehicle can do it. I've driven for thousands of miles on plugs and never had an issue...
Completely agree. Plugs work great. I have used them dozens of times, and only once did it not work. Also, I have found that more often than not, I don't even have to remove the wheel from the vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts