Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0, 4 cylinder. Had it from new. Time for second timing belt at 208k miles. Going to do the water pump (wasn't done the 1st time) and other stuff in the normal kit. Also cam and front crank seals. Wondering if anyone has ever done the oil pump as part of this repair. Car has a lot of miles and we have let it get way low on oil many times. Part runs from about $60 to $120 on rockauto. I'm leaning towards doing it, but wanted to see if anyone had thoughts or experience with it first. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Tucson GL 2.0
8 Posts
I am interested in this. It's an older post. Did you change the oil pump? I was going to (at ~125k miles). But then I saw that I would need to drop the oil drain pan, remove the forward flex pipe (exhaust) and exhaust manufold & catalytic converter. At least, that is my assessment. I'm not that much of a mechanic, so I opted to continue with the old oil pump for a little longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the post was mis named in regard to the oil pump.
Pretty sure he would of meant the water pump. Oil pump has not been an issue with this engine. Not doing the water on the first belt was something of risk. Pumps seem very reliable. But on the second belt change is very recomended.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oil pump failure is very rare unless oil changes are neglected.
Keep in mind the oil pump gets a steady supply of relatively cool oil from the oil pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts