Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Check Engine light came on yesterday, said I had a problem with the O2 sensor, but before replacing that, I took it to the shop b/c it had been running loud. And, as I suspected, they told me that the flex tube was blown out...

They said that my CC is just fine, so they recommend that I have them cut out the flex tube and weld a new one in.

They estimated around 400 bucks to do this. Is that reasonable?

How much do the parts cost? How much labor is involved?

He was also saying that (since I used to live in MI), that most of my undercarriage looks good, but it is really rusty in the area of the CC, and that the bolts are rusted so much that they are nearly 'welded' in.... if that changes anything.

Thanks!!

Emily

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Find somebody else... repair section is maybe $40, and a few minutes with MIG welder... trick is to make solid bead with no holes in weld so it not leak atmosphere into the exhaust tract and foul the rear sensor values to PCM..

New front retails approx $700 due to catalyst at end of the pipe.. to replace the pipe, you need to remove the 2 nuts at inlet end of pipe at the bottom of front cat, and simply cut the bolt/nust where the front pipe mates to center pipe.. couple gaskets, and 4 of the factory exhaust nuts, all done, of course you need to move ox sensor from old pipe to the new.

Cut the cat off the old pipe, and get maybe $50-$80 at recyle place for the cat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I called the dealership, they told me that it would be 230.72 just for the pipe...

Also, they said that there were two different ways it could be set up in the '03 Elantra. They said that some had the CC and pipe combined and others had a separate CC and pipe.

I'm inclined to trust my mechanics b/c they've never done me wrong before... but I'm just trying to be sure... you know?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (EmmieKae @ Oct 15 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363723
When I called the dealership, they told me that it would be 230.72 just for the pipe...
That's funny... never sold a $230 front pipe on Elantra

Also, they said that there were two different ways it could be set up in the '03 Elantra.
Yes, there is Federal, and there is California

They said that some had the CC and pipe combined and others had a separate CC and pipe.
Yep, practically all the Elantra in USA came with the 1 piece pipe as seen in pics below, never seen the 2 piece, but it is drawn/called out on MICROCAT.

I'm inclined to trust my mechanics b/c they've never done me wrong before... but I'm just trying to be sure... you know?
Well, your independent tech likely not the in-out of our parts, I deal with it everyday.. pics below are of the common 1 piece front pipe for Elantra, and as noted previously, retail is close to $700...

Pic of front pipe :

#1 -- front pipe

#2 -- inlet side of pipe, "must" remove nuts and save studs on bottom of exhaust manifold

#3 -- outlet side that bolts to center pipe.. cut this off as seen...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts