Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I posted that I created an offline version of the ETM (electrical diagram) manual. I've done the same thing with the "shop" (repair) manual. I uploaded the 2012 and 2013 manuals to the same site. Each manual is about 20meg to download, 30meg on disk. Just unzip and double-click the index.html file.

These are considerably simpler than the ETM diagrams (svg drawings with imbedded, javascript-enabled links; requirement to use your browser's zoom feature). I found no browser compatibility issues.

I made a couple of adjustments to Hyundai's way of doing things. I didn't like how Hyundai
1. Initializes the topic index (tree) completely collapsed.

I initialize the topic index with one level of sub-topic exposed. I think this helps locate areas of interest.

2. Creates a sub-topic (child node) even when there's only one. It seemed tedious to have to click a tree node just to get one item.

I rolled these occurrences up one level. There were about 80-90 of them. You can recognize these because I stuck the child's text to the parent's text, separated by a dash (--). (The "General Information" topic expanded 2 levels, and the text of each level was the same. In that case, the child nodes are deleted and the link moves to the top.).
The process is 95% automated. It's easy to create a new one. If anyone wants a "shop" manual for a different Hyundai model, let me know.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just tried the 2013 RB Manual out - Nicely Done!

I found a small glitch using IE 8 on a Dell XP box (work - no choice but IE 8. ) - if you "allow" scripting and ActiveX to run, once you drill-down through the tree a couple of times, using the back button closes the tree completely, and when opening it again it links you to the login-page on Hyundai's site instead of using the locally-cached file.

Most here will probably not have to deal with this - but if you DO, merely allow IE to block scripting, and it seems to run fine as you designed it, WITHOUT Hyundai's "features".

I will have to try it on my box at home, will let you know if anything goes awry there.

Requested Manual(s): Veloster, and Veloster Turbo (FS Body).

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when opening it again it links you to the login-page on Hyundai's site instead of using the locally-cached file.
I didn't think the files had any reference to hyundaitechinfo. I just searched the files and found a big mistake in the 2013 set. Starting at 6_1_6_1_2 (body interior, seat & power seat, front seat, repair procedures) the pages are the login page.

Evidently, my automated process timed out and I didn't notice it. I'm going to restart it now. I deleted the 2013 zip from dev-host.

I checked the 2012 files and they're ok. After I get 2013 fixed I'll ask you to see if you experience the same problem. If so, I'll download IE8 and look into it. (right now it looks like a problem with the data.).

I started building the 2013 Veloster manual. I'll probably do it Wednesday.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I uploaded the new 2013 file with the fixed pages.

I made a small style change to the 2012 pages and uploaded it too. If anyone already downloaded it, they don't need to download it again. It's nothing significant.

I may recreate both eventually since they're a product of my initial process creation. I think they're solid. But, if I automate the process further, I might apply it to those two.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Downloading...
I haven't checked out the shop manual yet, but I still would like to let you know that your work is appreciated.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
site is a bit slow for me, got a 404 for the accent folder and this error
ErrorException [ Notice ]: Undefined variable: comments

thanks for your work on both manuals! I'll give it a go a bit later

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
site is a bit slow for me, got a 404 for the accent folder ...
I tried to upload the 2013 Veloster manual an hour ago and the upload timed out. I went to the site again and even the home page returns 404.

It wasn't too bad when I uploaded the ETM manuals two weeks ago. It was slower last night. Hopefully they're upgrading/fixing something.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Requested Manual(s): Veloster, and Veloster Turbo (FS Body).
The 2013 Veloster turbo and non-turbo are uploaded.

I compare the URLs now to make sure I received the page I requested. If it ever redirects to the login page, my process will detect it.

site is a bit slow for me, got a 404
Dev host (going page to page) is faster than it was a few hours ago. The upload is about the same as it was 2 weeks ago. It takes about 15 minutes to upload 25 meg.

If anyone knows a better place to host these, I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, the site's gone "404". At least from my home box.

Sorry, I cannot yet try it again to confirm it works.
Dev Host returns promptly for me. If it continues to have issues, I'll look for another host. I don't have high hopes for any of them. I think they're all overloaded. (I thought mediafire was the best known, and it was unuseable when I tried it.).

I stopped creating manuals. I want to add a couple improvements. It should take a few days. When I'm ready, I'll recreate the ones I've already created. (The changes are minor useability issues. Nothing regarding integrity.).

When I start again it should go fast. The process required exclusive use of my laptop. But, I installed VirtualBox with a copy of Win 7. Now I can run the process within its own protected space while I use the computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally downloaded, thanks! You should link to direct download, instead of the parent folder. Once I got to the actual zip to download it was quick, but navigating there did take quite a bit of time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Major updates to manuals

I uploaded new versions of the Shop manuals. They are dated 20130514. (I have one remaining "MC" manual to replace.).

Changes:

The changes affect only style/ease-of-use, not data integrity:

1. Each page has an HTML title which will appear in the browser's title bar. (Hyundai doesn't set an HTML title.)

This will help if you have different pages open in their own browser windows (right-click, "open in new window" from the index page), giving you some context about which window contains which information.

2. Superfluous branches in the index page are eliminated.

In the first version I eliminated branches which led to only one terminating leaf. (It seemed tedious to have to click a branch only to find one page to access.). I rolled up those to the parent, identified by a double-dash ("--") separating the branch from the only-child leaf.

However, I noticed something similar higher up the tree. The 2013 Accent has

Engine Mechanical > Cylinder Block > Cylinder Block > leaf
Duplicate branches like that are eliminated now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
BOOYAH!!

That's Badazz! Thank you very much!

I hope you don't mind, but I cross-posted to the Hyundai Veloster forum (with credit going to you, not me) - the Turbo guys in particular have been chomping at the bit for a manual of their own.

Myself, I work on so many different vehicles for friends and family, that I "collect" manuals whenever and wherever I find them (paper and bit), and always try to share and pass that info along.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
az2008 none of the links work for me????
It seems to be intermittent. When I read your post I clicked a link 3-4 posts above you. It failed with "host not found." I typed "d-h.st" in my browser and it worked. Then I clicked on the link and it worked.

It feels like they updated their DNS information. During the few hours it takes to propagate across the internet, it can behave like that.

I apologize that this file hosting service isn't too stable. I'd like to give them some time before looking for a new host. It could be a temporary condition. Or, worse, other free hosts may be just as unstable.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI. I replaced the shop manuals with new versions today (2013 05 22). The change doesn't affect data integrity, just the order of the 10-16 top-level categories in the main (index) page.

My process was supposed to recreate the order of those top-level categories as hyundaitechinfo. I noticed yesterday it didn't. All the categories were present (there was no loss of information). They were just not in the same order. (Example, "Emission Control" might have been the 4th category instead of the 3rd.).

It's a small thing. I just wanted to be transparent in case anyone notices the file datestamp is newer.

PS. There are now quite a few manuals online (Accent RB & MC; Elantra HD & MD; Santa Fe NC & CM; Sonata YF; Tucson LM; Veloster LS).

Pretty soon I'll revisit the ETM manual.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts