Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son ran into the corner of a sewer grate as he was pulling up to a curb....and not only punctured the sidewall (2 new tires, since you have to get ’em in pairs), but also chipped the alloy rim. Question is, can it be repaired, or am I better off just replacing the wheel? I don’t know if there’s any other underlying damage, or if it affects the wheel integrity. I can get an OEM undamaged or refurbished replacement for between 170-230 shipped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got someone looking at it tomorrow - since I can get a replacement for $170-230, there's no reason to fix it if it ends up being more expensive than that. I'm just torqued that he took out the tire via the sidewall, too. Fortunately, it was just a curb, nobody was hurt, etc.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
How many kids do you have, went through ten kids with problems like this, all grown up, all history now.

One thing about these DOT required unibody cars, one hit and they are unrepairable and end up in a wrecking yard, depending on the yard, some are reasonable, others are crooks. Check for a good used wheel. Wrecking yards are loaded with unibody cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many kids do you have, went through ten kids with problems like this, all grown up, all history now.

One thing about these DOT required unibody cars, one hit and they are unrepairable and end up in a wrecking yard, depending on the yard, some are reasonable, others are crooks. Check for a good used wheel. Wrecking yards are loaded with unibody cars.
2 kids, both driving for 4+ years. Each has had a minor scrape or fender bender, but fortunately nothing serious. This was driver error - It was raining pretty hard, a metal sewer grate was sticking out close to a curb where they turned in too close and dinged the rim / sliced the tire. If the price is at all close, it's easy to find an undamaged replacement rim. I got one quote of $100, and one of $185. Unless the other quotes come in closer to the low end (meaning that it's an easy fix, lots of shops can do it and it's not a lowball or shoddy fix), I'll just get a replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the rim can be repaired....but I may make the best of the situation. I ordered a refurb OEM rim just in case the rim couldn't be repaired...and because I have to get two new tires, I'm going to move the undamaged front tire to the repaired rim....as a full-size spare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New rim arrived today. Ordered the 2 new tires, and everything gets installed on Friday. My kid isn't in school, so the car is limited to short runs of a few miles at neighborhood speeds. I had 2 shops say that a chunk like that is likely a rim integrity issue, so it'll go to the recycler, along with the dead tire. Then the car goes to the shop to check the alignment, just to make sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fun isn’t over just yet. I shopped around to see who carried the stock Kumho Solus H tires, since I didn’t want to replace all 4....and Wal-Mart’s auto center did. Despite my misgivings about WM, they had a good price, and installation was reasonable. (And besides, how hard is it to install tires?)

Evidently, they’re still refining the process. Got a notification the tires came in, so made an appointment. Once we got there. It took them a full hour to find both tires. I had to explain in detail what I wanted done (move donut spare and toolkit back to the trunk, move TPMS sensor to new wheel, put old wheel and good tire in trunk (since the wheel may repairable, and I can add a TPMS sensor when I get the tire mounted as a full size spare.)

When my son got home, took a look and both new tires are mounted in the front. (That part was right). They put the new valve stem cap on the old LF wheel, so the back wheels have silver caps, and a big black one on the front. Oh well, caps are cheap.

Went to the other side, and....they didn’t move the TPMS sensor over, didn’t install a new one, and didn’t say anything about a missing TPMS. Here’s what I have:

The TPMS sensor is still on the old wheel in the trunk. The good tire is next to the wheel, and the donut spare and tool kit/insert just thrown in the trunk on top of everything else.

I’m not even taking it back to Wal-Mart. I need to get the alignment checked anyway, so I’m dropping off @ my regular independent shop on Monday. They’ll put everything back to normal.

Lesson (hopefully) learned.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You should take it back there and complain to the manager. They should install the valve with the TPMS sensor on the new rim. You should not have to pay for the work twice.

FYI you really didn't have to match the tires--brand and model--with the other two tires, as long as you don't mind having, say, Goodyears on the front and Kumhos on the back. A few years from now when you have to replace all four, they will match again, but it wouldn't affect performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having seen the state of that shop last week, and spending an hour while they looked for the 2nd tire....I don't think 'complaining' to the manager is going to be anything new or influential at Wal-Mart. I had to get the alignment checked anyway, and I trust my local independent shop. It's not a huge amount of $, and I know the job is going to be done right. In this case, there's no additional time, and that's more valuable than going back to Wal-Mart to complain to people who aren't able (or don't care) to do anything about it.

Matching the tires was a good idea at the time. As I said, lesson learned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts