Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I'm in Melbourne, Australia which is causing us issues with getting anything for it easily...

A little bit of history, which has now led us to this pondering question... (Sorry for the essay, but I feel the history explains a lot).

6 months ago my wife and I (mainly my wife), bought a 2001 Santa Fe which was driveable but needed some repairs. We had a mechanic do all the repairs to get it Roadworthy, we had it registered and my wife was using it. We started noticing that it wasn't accelerating very well, and it was having a problem idling when stopped at lights, so much that after a while it would stall every time we stopped at a red light. My wife became very used to shifting into neutral before applying the brake (In park & Neutral it was fine). After seeking advise from friends and a mechanic, we changed the spark plugs and leads. Once we did this, the car seemed to be not much better at all, even to the point where it would stall as soon as you shifted to drive or reverse. We took it to another mechanic, who discovered the firing order was incorrect, we find this strange as they were changed one by one to ensure the firing order would stay correct. They also found one of the coils were faulty, and suggested to replace the coil pack.

We ordered a new coil pack from the US, after about 3 weeks we received the coil pack, and I put it in that night (working by spot light isn't always the easiest thing to do). It seemed to be great. My wife took it to drop the kids off the next day, said it was great. Was leaving the daycare, went to do a U-Turn and then the whole thing went to crap (about 20 minutes after she was able to drive it again).

It started sounding like the engine is being hit with a hammer from the moment it is started! There is no acceleration (not that I have really tried as I don't want to do more damage). So back to friends & mechanics I went. Whom all said lifters and other small things. One mechanic said that there is a fault with the screws in the butterfly clips or something, and they get sucked into the pistons and that's what will be causing the noise.

I then rebuilt the entire top end of the engine, removing heads to check pistons, and everything seemed fine, dirty and carbon build up of course, but NO screws! I ended up replacing all 24 lifters with brand new ones, and of course new gaskets, head bolts, etc. I've spent a fortune on parts, and tools to do everything properly. The most annoying part is ordering parts from the US and having to wait. So, after all this I get the engine back together, thinking it's going to be great to have my wife back to her car, and not having to schedule my work around her with only having one car, yet... this whole time, money and exercise had made NO difference!

It now turns out that I may be rods or bearings or something, which a new person has popped up and said yep, that's what it is. I have then googled it and watched some you tube videos and discovered that it sounds like this is the problem. The car has done around 210,000KM and my question is can try to repair them myself, or should I ideally try to find a replacement engine?

Problems we have is, against everyones suggestion of getting rid of the car, we do love it, we don't really have the money to buy a new or refurbished engine (assuming we can find one, as they don't seem to be very common in Australia). If I do try to repair it myself, can I do this with the car on stands, and without having to take the heads off again and with the engine in the car (which I did the whole top end without taking the engine out).

Also, whilst the bottom (I guess it's just the oil pan, haven't really got under there yet to look) is off, should I replace the pistons, rings, rods and bearings, or can I find the culprit easy enough?

Out of the 6 months we've had the car it's been off the road for over 5 months! We need to get it going again.. As I said, we can't afford to get a new engine, and don't have the ability to get finance to trade it in and buy a new car (as we would have bought a new car before buying this one if we had the opportunity).

The engine code in the car is the 2.7L V6 G6BA engine. Would the G6BV or other models that may be available here in Australia also fit?

Your help and suggestions would be great, thank you in advance :) Oh, and if it helps I'm not a mechanic, just a Computer tech who has interest in all things mechanical..

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The G6BA and G6BV are versions of Hyundai Delta V6 - which was available in 2.5 and 2.7 capacities. It was used in Hyundai Coupe, Santa Fe, Sonata, Trajet and Tucson and Kia Optima and Sportage.

The following link might help if it'll translate
Hyundai KIA Delta

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Firstly, I'm in Melbourne, Australia which is causing us issues with getting anything for it easily...

A little bit of history, which has now led us to this pondering question... (Sorry for the essay, but I feel the history explains a lot).

6 months ago my wife and I (mainly my wife), bought a 2001 Santa Fe which was driveable but needed some repairs. We had a mechanic do all the repairs to get it Roadworthy, we had it registered and my wife was using it. We started noticing that it wasn't accelerating very well, and it was having a problem idling when stopped at lights, so much that after a while it would stall every time we stopped at a red light. My wife became very used to shifting into neutral before applying the brake (In park & Neutral it was fine). After seeking advise from friends and a mechanic, we changed the spark plugs and leads. Once we did this, the car seemed to be not much better at all, even to the point where it would stall as soon as you shifted to drive or reverse. We took it to another mechanic, who discovered the firing order was incorrect, we find this strange as they were changed one by one to ensure the firing order would stay correct. They also found one of the coils were faulty, and suggested to replace the coil pack.

We ordered a new coil pack from the US, after about 3 weeks we received the coil pack, and I put it in that night (working by spot light isn't always the easiest thing to do). It seemed to be great. My wife took it to drop the kids off the next day, said it was great. Was leaving the daycare, went to do a U-Turn and then the whole thing went to crap (about 20 minutes after she was able to drive it again).

It started sounding like the engine is being hit with a hammer from the moment it is started! There is no acceleration (not that I have really tried as I don't want to do more damage). So back to friends & mechanics I went. Whom all said lifters and other small things. One mechanic said that there is a fault with the screws in the butterfly clips or something, and they get sucked into the pistons and that's what will be causing the noise.

I then rebuilt the entire top end of the engine, removing heads to check pistons, and everything seemed fine, dirty and carbon build up of course, but NO screws! I ended up replacing all 24 lifters with brand new ones, and of course new gaskets, head bolts, etc. I've spent a fortune on parts, and tools to do everything properly. The most annoying part is ordering parts from the US and having to wait. So, after all this I get the engine back together, thinking it's going to be great to have my wife back to her car, and not having to schedule my work around her with only having one car, yet... this whole time, money and exercise had made NO difference!

It now turns out that I may be rods or bearings or something, which a new person has popped up and said yep, that's what it is. I have then googled it and watched some you tube videos and discovered that it sounds like this is the problem. The car has done around 210,000KM and my question is can try to repair them myself, or should I ideally try to find a replacement engine?

Problems we have is, against everyones suggestion of getting rid of the car, we do love it, we don't really have the money to buy a new or refurbished engine (assuming we can find one, as they don't seem to be very common in Australia). If I do try to repair it myself, can I do this with the car on stands, and without having to take the heads off again and with the engine in the car (which I did the whole top end without taking the engine out).

Also, whilst the bottom (I guess it's just the oil pan, haven't really got under there yet to look) is off, should I replace the pistons, rings, rods and bearings, or can I find the culprit easy enough?

Out of the 6 months we've had the car it's been off the road for over 5 months! We need to get it going again.. As I said, we can't afford to get a new engine, and don't have the ability to get finance to trade it in and buy a new car (as we would have bought a new car before buying this one if we had the opportunity).

The engine code in the car is the 2.7L V6 G6BA engine. Would the G6BV or other models that may be available here in Australia also fit?

Your help and suggestions would be great, thank you in advance :) Oh, and if it helps I'm not a mechanic, just a Computer tech who has interest in all things mechanical..
Not saying your mechanics couldn't be right, but the 2.7 is pretty much bullet proof. From the sound of your first description of the problem- it sounded like the catalytic converter might be plugged. Pull off your exhaust prior to the cat, and drive your car. See if the power is returned to it(you have to ignore the noise).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not saying your mechanics couldn't be right, but the 2.7 is pretty much bullet proof. From the sound of your first description of the problem- it sounded like the catalytic converter might be plugged. Pull off your exhaust prior to the cat, and drive your car. See if the power is returned to it(you have to ignore the noise).
Thanks, I'll give that a go during the week, I'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The G6BA and G6BV are versions of Hyundai Delta V6 - which was available in 2.5 and 2.7 capacities. It was used in Hyundai Coupe, Santa Fe, Sonata, Trajet and Tucson and Kia Optima and Sportage.

The following link might help if it'll translate
Hyundai KIA Delta
Hi, that link did provide the info about the different engines. Thanks :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the chance to inspect the bottom end of the engine.. First sign of something was the broken bolt in the bottom of the oil pan, along with quite a bit of metal shavings.... So I started pulling more apart and took the upper oil pan off (just under the crankshaft) and found the bottom of a broken con-rod.. Cylinder #2 had a nice broken con-rod. Bearings are shot, and three of the other five con-rods are loose, so I'm guessing the bearings have gone on them too. Going to order a new piston, con-rod and full set of bearings on Friday (pay day). My question now is, should I replace all 6 pistons? Or just the one that has been pulled out to replace the con-rid on (as it has a few gouges out of it now). Luckily the cylinder walls seem to be fine..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, that link did provide the info about the different engines. Thanks :)
Amcis, sorry im 7 years late Mate,please leave the names of the first lot of mechanics you went to so to warn others,im a retired mechanic whom has worked on these Santa Fe`s for many years,if your bore is clean with no ridge wear mark at top you should be able to replace big ends if the crank journals have no scoring on them.Sometimes though if its a good car and you love it then go the extra mile and remove the motor and replace everything on the bench, you will feel better knowing the job has been done right. Bob Northern Rivers NSW 2020

1 - 7 of 7 Posts