Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 SF Limited with 75k, second owner, out of warranty. The power lumbar support in my drivers seat has stopped working. I can hear the motor churning but the support is inoperable.

As someone with lower back problems, its one of the reasons I like this car so much because I was able to drive it comfortably. So my question is, anybody ever had their power seat repaired out of warranty? What did it cost you? Is DIY out of the question?

I literally just spent $1000 on a memory foam mattress for my back (arriving tomorrow) and now this happens. I don't have $ for expensive repair :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
532 Posts
I hope you didn't have anything sharp in your pockets that would puncture the bladder, other than that the connection hose may have come undone. Give me a few days and I'll try to get a schematic and diagram for you.

In the meantime roll up a hand towel as a cheap effective substitute. (speaking from experience)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks. So, it is an air bladder that fills and deflates? Not a mechanical cushion that moves its position to offer support?

No, not punctured unless something internal of the seat punctured it. Here are symptoms...Pushed button to operate it, heard a stretching, cracking noise like when inner tube infates in a bicycle tire, then started click, click, clicking. Clicking stopped, now you just the sound of the motor with no inflating or deflating.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You're getting some bad info there, Tim. The '08 Santa Fe does not use a bladder system for lumbar support. If it did, you'd have heard the pump!

The lumbar motor is on the outboard side, give or take, low inside the side bolster against the door.

Bad news: Having been after the motors under the seat, I've never tackled one in the seatback before, so can't tell you whether the seatback panel removal really goes in practice. However, it looks a boatload easier than getting to the ones (F/R height and slide) under the seat.

As I understand it, removal of the seat back panel isn't all that difficult. You disconnect the lower strap from under the seat, then 'snap out' the back panel as an assembly. Once the panel is off the back of the seat, the motors on both sides (the RH one is for the recliner) are fully exposed.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I stand corrected, guess I'm still living off my Explorer with leg and back bolsters.
Thanks canderson and apologies to others.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hey, no problem. It's a commonly used system. The Santa Fe is different is all. I'm looking forward to hearing how easily the rear panel comes off his seat. If he can get that far, the source of the problem should be pretty obvious. It sounds like the motor is still working, but I'm wondering if he's got another mechanical issue (gear, perhaps) that he'll be telling us about. Not having been into one of these, I'll be very interested to hear about it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Not a bladder that I recall.. it is a cable and web set-up that moves outward when cable pulled.. pop seat back cover off and look

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@sbr711
Have you been into a seat back yet? How difficult to remove the panel without breaking any tabs or anything? I've no idea how it is to take one apart.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Almost guaranteeeeed to break the tabs.. I think they only meant to be installed the first time, and not removed for any reason.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Crap. Was afraid of that. Will make quite a messy reinstall unless the OP can get a replacement, and that probably won't come cheap.

To the OP: Would be curious to know what a dealer writes up for parts for repairs of this sort. If he includes a new seat back, we'll know how ugly this is going to get. If he doesn't, push a tiny bit for assurance that you wouldn't have to pay for a new one if they break it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Price will be seat frame (upper), and labor to swap all the parts to new frame..

In general --

Remove seat to open workspace, seperate upper frame from lower, swap cushion, air bag, covering to new frame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a spare seat sitting in my garage, will try to post some pictures of the seat internals this weekend.

When I removed the seat back I ended up breaking a few mounting points(brakets) where the clips slide into. The mounting points are very thin and easy to break. If you do break or crack some, I was able to repair using super glue. Even with the unbroken ones I used a liberal amount of superglue along the corners just to reinforce them.

To remove the seat back.
1. Remove the clip holding an elastic strap under the seat. (Will be much easier if you remove the seat first, but not absolutely necessary)
2. Use a trim removal tool if you have one, pop out the clips holding in the seat back. Start from the bottom and work your way up.

Note: Do not pull on the map pocket, it is held in by plastic arms that are part of the map pocket and are very fragile. My map pockets were broken by the previous owner. I ended up drilling out all the arms and securing the map pocket to the seat back with rivets.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@dhuang
Many thanks for that info - in particular, that the plastic involved is one that a cyanoacrylate will grab hold of. There are a few that aren't phased by it.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I look forward to the photos as well. Won't have a chance to try to access the seat back until weekend. Now that it seems its not an air bladder, that makes sense with what I heard. A cracking sound then what sounded like the click, click, click of a slipping gear.

Just out of curiousity, I looked up replacement seats...power drivers seat is in the ballpark of $1800 :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tim,
Definitely try your local junk yard. I picked up my spare seat for under $200. I needed the leather wrap as mine was cracking on the side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No problem, I forgot to take pics of the seat back; specifically the fragile mounting points and clips mentioned before. I'll see if I can get those posted some time this week.

To remove the lumbar support.
1. First you'll need to unhook the leather seat trim/archor/hook from the bottom. It's not captured well in the pics. But it is similar to the black trim piece at the top of the first pic, just above the red arrows.

2. Push out the 4 clips marked by the yellow arrows in the first pic.

3. Next you need to get the two rods (top of third pic) out of the holes marked with the red arrows in the first pic. Nothing is securing these in, they should slide right out once you are at the proper angle.

4. You'll need to get the top part of the lumbar support past the metal bracket(marked by upper set of yellow arrows in first pic). Slowly maneuver the whole unit out of the bottom.

5. Once the top of the lumbar support unit has past the metal bracket lift the top of the unit out while feeding the bottom of the unit back into the seat.

Wasn't too difficult, took me about 5-10min. (Seat and seat back were already removed).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts