Hyundai Forums banner

Removing upper dash trim / center storage

17K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Papabare 
#1 ·
I generally use a RAM mount for attaching the various GPS or phones or whatever to my dash. You can see from the picture below that it bolts on, so here comes the drilling. There are some obvious locations just to the 2 o'clock of the steering wheel... if I could just get behind there. Anyone know how to pop out that center storage compartment? There are the two screws underneath the rubber mat on the inside, but there must be more than that.

Also, I'm looking at lower, the two "support struts" just in front of the gear shifter. Anyone removed the lower trim to get those open?

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome. When I saw how that top shade popped out, it was just too easy. Unlike the picture might make one think, the shade above the instrument cluster doesn't pop UP, but rather, it pops toward the rear of the vehicle, straight back toward the driver.

Project is done, here are the pictures:

Inside (minus "gauge roof")

In the upper right corner you can see the "gauge roof" that screws on with four screws. Two nuts and bolts. Threadlocker red. A couple custom thin washers made up to fit in between the reinforcement ribs.

RAM ball installed.

Here it is holding on my cell phone holder. For those unfamiliar with RAM mounts, they make holder for just about everything... GPSs, mirrors, laptops, helmet cams, tablets, cup holders, everything. I have these on my motorcycle too and can easily switch gizmo's back and forth.

Thanks internet for providing info so quickly! In return, these pictures! :D

Anders

#7 · (Edited)
Well done, glad to see how the instrument cluster top shade pops out if I ever need to do the same.
Another idea I have about monuting point option, how about in the middle facing down, so that way the phone will be in the middle of the instrument cluster, it shouldn't obstruct the gauges too much is the phone is not huge, would be in the shadow too, keeps it cool and easier to see the screen.

#12 ·
Ha! You know what's not good for resale value? Buying a new car and then driving it off the lot. :D

My car isn't an investment, it's an expense. And since I have years and years ahead of using the vehicle, I'd much rather have it work the way I want it to work than be annoyed by it NOT being as I desire.

Generally, I have 200,000+ miles on my vehicles when I sell them. At that point, a couple holes in the dash won't be the determining factor of the vehicle's value.

The stability of something that's BOLTED on is so sweet I'm not going to suffer a runner-up option.

RAM mounts are awesome. Difficult to comprehend how good they are until you've been through a load of poor mounting systems.

Cheers!
Anders

#10 ·
anders8-

Impressive adaptation with aesthetics, I'll bet the replacement panel can't be more than $ 24.95. Again, nice job of using the noggin, overcoming and adapting.

Reactions: White Whip
#13 ·
That's a great procedure write up.

I agree with you on using the vehicle for a couple 100 ks, so make it work for you as you need it! The next guy can do his own mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.