Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for the life of me cannot remove the crash pads next to the center console. I left a lot of marks but the thing refuses to come off. Can someone explain how this thing is attached and/or provide pictures?
Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Oct 23 2010, 02:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365598
Crash pad is a term used to describe various parts of the dash panel, typically the parts that a passenger may come into contact with during a crash.

http://www.hmaservice.com/ describes how to remove them with illustrations.
Their instructions are far from enlightening.
"1.Using a screwdriver or remover, remove the crash pad garnish (A)."

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
The two pieces to the sides of the shifter/center console? They pry sort of up and towards the back of the car, clipped in.

I had to take mine off because I bought the car with the left one gray instead of black! Bought the manager's car, don't ask

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
When prying with a flat-tip screwdriver, wrap it with protective tape, and apply protective tape around the related parts, to prevent damage.
• Put on gloves to protect your hands.

1. Using a screwdriver or remover, remove the crash pad garnish (A).

[attachment=23845:crashpad.gif]

2. Using a screwdriver, remove the knob (A) and boots (B).

[attachment=23846:shifter.gif]

3. Using a screwdriver or remover, remove the console upper cover (A).

question I have for those of you that have removed this...do you pry/pull up on the rear of the pad...then pull it backwards (towards the rear of the car)? or something completely different? and the shifter knob....we shift to neutral (emergency brake applied and/or blocks in use for safety) and pull upwards on it. i can't find where the exact removal process is located in HMA Service.

just trying to get prepared for when my cupholder lights arrive.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Oct 22 2010, 08:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365553
I for the life of me cannot remove the crash pads next to the center console. I left a lot of marks but the thing refuses to come off. Can someone explain how this thing is attached and/or provide pictures?
Thanks
You need to use a little muscle when pulling upwards, don't worry you shouldn't break anything. At worst you may have a little silver clip come off but I doubt that will happen. If it does it will just snap back on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Mar 10 2011, 07:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=413206
When prying with a flat-tip screwdriver, wrap it with protective tape, and apply protective tape around the related parts, to prevent damage.
• Put on gloves to protect your hands.

1. Using a screwdriver or remover, remove the crash pad garnish (A).

[attachment=23845:crashpad.gif]

2. Using a screwdriver, remove the knob (A) and boots (B).

[attachment=23846:shifter.gif]

3. Using a screwdriver or remover, remove the console upper cover (A).

question I have for those of you that have removed this...do you pry/pull up on the rear of the pad...then pull it backwards (towards the rear of the car)? or something completely different? and the shifter knob....we shift to neutral (emergency brake applied and/or blocks in use for safety) and pull upwards on it. i can't find where the exact removal process is located in HMA Service.

just trying to get prepared for when my cupholder lights arrive.
Hey Fear, there's a pictorial about the removal of these "crashpads" in the same thread you and I saw, bought and are waiting for-our cupholder lights...
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?s=...st&p=331733

LOL...I remember "CRASHPADS" back in the day was where I could sleep it off...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah, i saw that....icebergs write-up. it just says remove it, same as hma service. i was waiting last nite on my kid...and while doing so, i started jacking around with the items i am going to be messing with, again. back seat removal...not so bad. found place under dash to mount the front footwell leds...popped out the 'crash pad lower switch' with no problem...and then i started to pull on and yank and twist and kick (just kidding about the kick) on the console crash pads...they didnt' budge. the main peice i need to remove...and i can't seem to get it move. maybe i am not pulling hard enough. my luck, i'll eventually pull it hard enough and my elbow or knuckles will go thru the sunroof!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I watched Joeeey take these off with just his hands when we were putting his cupholder lights in. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That guy had his console out and the lights installed in 10 minutes. I did the pry up and back method but you must do so carefully so you do not to mar the plastics. Good luck guys. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts