Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect the timing belt in my '02 has 155K miles on it. Obviously it is a priority to replace it before turning it over to my daughter to drive off to college over 200 miles away.

But I'm stuck. I cannot get the nut on the crank to budge. I've got an 1/2" air impact wrench (older C-H model) rated at 250 ft./lbs. on a 3/8" hose on a 2HP/8Gal compressor turned up to 125 PSI. The nut is not budging.

I'd consider a breaker bar and cheater pipe, but don't know how to lock up the pulley so that I don't just turn the engine.

HELP?!?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You may know this already, but you have to go in reverse to remove the crank bolt.. It's lefty tighty righty loosey.. Hope this helps.. :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
No it isn't. It's standard direction. You loosen counter clockwise.

The easiest way to remove a crank bolt, which I have used on numerous cars and saved myself hours of headaches, is the "use the starter" method. You will need to turn the key and engage the starter to do it. Simply put a big breaker bar on the crank bolt and somehow wedge the end of the bar so it will stop on the body when you turn the key and spin the crank. Breaks that bolt every time with a minimum of effort. Not recommended for children or the accident prone. Motor will spin clockwise, set the ratchet to "loosen" mode... and BANG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I stand corrected.. Please ignore me.. I'm not sure why I thought it was reverse threaded.. Must be something in my koolaid...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
jsinton has the old tried and tested backyard method:) only thing i want to add is that you don't want the engine to start...you're looking to crack the bolt off is all. if it starts up, well....that breaker bar can get caught and cause damage. simply pull the EFI relay. disconnect plug wires at the coils (easier than pulling off the plugs) if you want to make sure you're extra careful.

another option is an electric impact. i find that although they have lower torque ratings (still over 300 ft-lbs on good ones) the electric motor provides instantaneous torque and sometimes will remove the more stubborn bolts and nuts. its not so much as it has more power (doesn't really) but that it shocks the nut a bit harder with that instant force.

no puller is required to get the crank pulley off. just wiggle it off by hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

The starter trick worked like a charm. Back out to the garage now to finish the job. Thanks guys!!!

BTW: since I'm changing the timing belt and needing to turn the engine to set the marks, I just pulled the 4 sparkplugs to keep the engine from trying to start during this. But, really, I only had to barely hit the starter to get results.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
grand old trick, isn't it? :) glad it's working out for you!

getting the nut back down with the proper torque can be difficult....i ended up just ramming it down with my electric impact. may seem out of sort for me, but my particular impact gun has a peak torque only a little higher than the spec. that's good enough in my books and its easy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
torquing bolt

I thought the bolt was spec'd to be torqued to 125? My gun is pnuematic, rated at 250. I figured I'd just run it up as tight as the gun will get it and call it good. How much danger is there that the thing would actually ever work itself loose? Could the belts be so tight that eventually overcoming the torque of turning everything on startup could cause the bolt to loosen? Should I be worried and pull the dust cover off and try to get a torque wrench in there?

·
22,793 Posts
I thought the bolt was spec'd to be torqued to 125? My gun is pneumatic, rated at 250. I figured I'd just run it up as tight as the gun will get it and call it good. How much danger is there that the thing would actually ever work itself loose?
The gun's rated torque is certainly adequate for the job. Look in the repair manual, or search online for the torque spec of the bolt. If it's 125 Lbf. ft., I'd hit it with that gun until it slows and stops. Maybe a few more "short" bursts on the trigger and call it GOOD! You don't want to shear off the head. After you're done, make sure it's in gear, ignition off, block the wheels, and check the bolt with a torque wrench if you feel you need ot. Chances are, it'll click at the 125 point if the wrench is set to that spec. Or, this: any mechanic would probably do it for $5 if you explain why you need it checked...daughter leaving, etc.

Having your daughter drive off long distance is worrisome enough. You've got a few days to test it out. I wouldn't overly worry about it. Think "CAR," right now and concentrate on making it perfect. The rest will take care of itself.

Leave the worrying about the daughter's departure for what it is: dad/daughter separation! That's a tough gig! Ask her to call you every few hundred miles if that will help put your mind to rest, dad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts