Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My '07 Tucson's ABS kicks in at low speeds - I suspected an ABS sensor but after some research it seems one or more might just be corroded and misaligned. Either way, I need to remove the sensors.
I watched a tutorial working on a big Dodge truck (I couldn't find a Tucson specific one), where the guy removed the wheel, brake and disc before the one bolt that holds in the sensor, which then just pops out.
I removed my wheel, and found I can access the sensor without taking off the caliper and disc. The sensor bolt was easy enough to take out, but the sensor was really corroded in. I've finally managed to free it off, but I can't remove the sensor. It rotates within it's hole, and moves away very slightly, but will not come out.
Am I missing something? Do I have to remove something else before the sensor comes out? I don't want to force it in case I break something.
I'd really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carefully inspect your front ABS tone wheels. You'll probably find one is cracked. That's a common cause of the symptoms your experiencing.
Ok, thank you.
How do I get to that, if you don’t mind helping a little further please?
I might be an aircraft technician, but I rarely work on cars 😄
And since you seem to know the system,do you have any ideas on removing the sensor anyway? I might as well give them a clean whilst I’m in there.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
How do I get to that, if you don’t mind helping a little further please?
Jack up one of the front wheels and look behind the wheel and you should see the tone wheel where the drive shaft enters the hub. Slowly rotate the wheel while carefully checking for cracks on the tone wheel. Repeat on the other side.

Husbandofemily said:
I might be an aircraft technician, but I rarely work on cars 😄
I'm the opposite. I rarely work on planes, but I did build my own microlight...see below. The photo was taken towards the end of the build. If you look closely you might notice it still has the plastic film on the Lexan.

Husbandofemily said:
And since you seem to know the system,do you have any ideas on removing the sensor anyway?
I wouldn't mess with them if you don't have to.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
How, exactly? Is it just the one 10mm bolt, and pull?
Yeah, when the car is new that's how you remove them. But it's not likely to be that simple on a 10+ year old car. Once the hole they fit into starts to rust you usually need to take extreme measures to get them out, like drilling them or driving them out. That's why I advise not messing with them unless you know one is faulty. Then it doesn't matter if you destroy it while trying to remove it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, when the car is new that's how you remove them. But it's not likely to be that simple on a 10+ year old car. Once the hole they fit into starts to rust you usually need to take extreme measures to get them out, like drilling them or driving them out. That's why I advise not messing with them unless you know one is faulty. Then it doesn't matter if you destroy it while trying to remove it.
Fair, thanks.
I can't work out why I've freed mine off (it was a pain, but I got there), but still can't remove if from the hole even though it moves around and comes away slightly. Weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts