Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if anyone has removed a valve body from a 5 speed on these Santa Fes without removing the transmission. Mine is a 3.5. I have been dealing with a TCC drop issue for some time and have determined it is the TCC valve leaking in the valve body. Rebuilt ones aren't too pricey and was just seeing if it can be removed and replaced without pulling a motor mount or the tranny. It looks as though the cover may slide out if I remove the fan assy on the radiator. Anyone attempt this? Thanks

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
You drop the pan and it's right there. I'll see if I can find a video from a couple guys I trust that post on YouTube. You wont want to do it without experience, good manual or video of a competent tech. There's to many things that can go wrong. There's check balls, spacer plate and a couple other things that are critical.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I need the VIN

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a copy of the tranny manual. I am pretty handy and just was wondering on the clearances. A good vid would certainly help. thanks. KM8SC73E16U072641

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
That vin will not come up. Be sure it's typed correctly.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
That vin is good. What tranny manual do you have? Tranny model?
Are you talking about clearance between exhaust and the pan?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That vin is good. What tranny manual do you have? Tranny model?
Are you talking about clearance between exhaust and the pan?
SM chassis use a "side pan" transmission..

Royal PIA to work on in car,, though it can be done..

Dump coolant, remove lower hose.. remove misc as needed at driver side to open up work area..

Best on rack, as you can remove front frame bolts and cross bolt for roll stop mount and lower frame some to get more room

Steel side pan is RTV to trans case, lots of joy to clean up.. solenoids out in open after side pan off

Have fun putting pan back in place with fresh RTV and not smearing on way in with pan

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
SM chassis use a "side pan" transmission..

Royal PIA to work on in car,, though it can be done..

Dump coolant, remove lower hose.. remove misc as needed at driver side to open up work area..

Best on rack, as you can remove front frame bolts and cross bolt for roll stop mount and lower frame some to get more room

Steel side pan is RTV to trans case, lots of joy to clean up.. solenoids out in open after side pan off

Have fun putting pan back in place with fresh RTV and not smearing on way in with pan
I trust your experience with these. I did the cardinal sin of assuming. Thought the AWD used a bottom pan tranny. Another Hyundai engineering feat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mine looks to be an A5GF1. Manual is a ATSG (2012). I really wish these filters were servicsble without having to take the tranny apart.

Haven't decided to do this yet. I do have a strange cruise symptom I thought might be tcm or transmission related as well. When I hit "resume" from like 40 mph car will downshift and hang there in 4th gear for 30-60 seconds once it reaches the set speed which is abnormal. I wasn't sure if the issues are related. Haven't seen if this trans had a VSS sensor. Changed both speed sensor with oem and tcc/cruise issue remains. Flushed tranny 3 times

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Mine looks to be an A5GF1. Manual is a ATSG (2012). I really wish these filters were servicsble without having to take the tranny apart.

Haven't decided to do this yet. I do have a strange cruise symptom I thought might be tcm or transmission related as well. When I hit "resume" from like 40 mph car will downshift and hang there in 4th gear for 30-60 seconds once it reaches the set speed which is abnormal. I wasn't sure if the issues are related. Haven't seen if this trans had a VSS sensor. Changed both speed sensor with oem and tcc/cruise issue remains. Flushed tranny 3 times
ATSG is good. I don't think they show removal or in vehicle service as these trannys are in different models. 40 mph is a shift point and you may very well have a TCC issue. VSS is a part of the system. Should see in ATSG where it's located. Usually output shaft. A scan tool is your friend.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a very good scan tool. Two actually and can map data on my laptop. Checked VSS, map, tps signals and haven't noticed any anomalies while driving. Sonnax makes an improved tcc valve for this very issue. Your right, manual does have breakdown and disassembly "out of the vehicle". I just need to remove the pan and valve body. I am debating cleaning up mine and installing the improved valve or just picking up as reman valve body and just swapping entire assy. Think I should install a new spacer back plate? I have seen rebuild videos where the guy cleaned and reused the plate when he put the valve body back on.

To clarify, I didn't actually have the trans "flushed" I did 3 complete 9 quart drains from the cooler lines over the last year. My guess is the removing all the nasty 80k mile fluid exposed my tcc valve wear/ leakage. It will drive fine for about the first 20 minutes until fluid warms up and starts to bleed pressure to the tcc. I can actually monitor the trans clutch begin to slip right before it drops out/releases. Other than that the car drives great. No other erratic shift/ slip issues. Just the TCC not holding.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Side pan -- NGT transmission (CM Chassis with 2.7L FWD)

Attachments

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I have a very good scan tool. Two actually and can map data on my laptop. Checked VSS, map, tps signals and haven't noticed any anomalies while driving. Sonnax makes an improved tcc valve for this very issue. Your right, manual does have breakdown and disassembly "out of the vehicle". I just need to remove the pan and valve body. I am debating cleaning up mine and installing the improved valve or just picking up as reman valve body and just swapping entire assy. Think I should install a new spacer back plate? I have seen rebuild videos where the guy cleaned and reused the plate when he put the valve body back on.

To clarify, I didn't actually have the trans "flushed" I did 3 complete 9 quart drains from the cooler lines over the last year. My guess is the removing all the nasty 80k mile fluid exposed my tcc valve wear/ leakage. It will drive fine for about the first 20 minutes until fluid warms up and starts to bleed pressure to the tcc. I can actually monitor the trans clutch begin to slip right before it drops out/releases. Other than that the car drives great. No other erratic shift/ slip issues. Just the TCC not holding.
No experience with those trannys but I've done many GM and Ford. They both have problems with the bore ovaling especially if the TCC solenoid is acting up and going from apply to off a lot. Engine problems made the TCC erratic on several models.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts