Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS and I'm now in the process of restoring/upgrading it. I decided it would be fun to refinish some of the interior parts while I was replacing the stock AM/FM/Cassette deck with a modern MP3/Bluetooth compatible head unit.

The problem is that after taking almost everything apart to do the refinishing, I've gotten stuck on the power sockets on the lower right portion of the center fascia panel — the part that goes around the radio and climate controls.

I want to remove them for the refinishing process but there doesn't seem to be a nut or retainer on the back like a typical design. There are obvious plastic clips on the back, but even with quite a bit of force they don't want to push in to release the socket from the fascia panel. It almost seems like the metal sleeve has to come out of the center before the clips will release.

Does anyone have any experience with removing or replacing these? Any advice would be appreciated. ^_^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Still haven't been able to figure this one out though. I decided to take some photos in case it helps anyone identify the problem:

imgur.com/a/Oow3E

In the last photo you can see one of the clips I was referring to in my original post.

I tried pressing on it with the tip of a large flathead screwdriver with quite a bit of force — enough that I was afraid any more would shatter something, and far more than a plastic clip should require— but it didn't budge.

I can't even mask them off and get decent results because of how oddly shaped the power socket is with the cover. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I managed to figure it out on my own. It was as I initially suspected: There are two plastic clips that are part of the housing which you can see on the inside. I managed to use a snap ring tool to push them out just enough that the metal sleeve slid out, and from there the housing itself popped out easily with the outer clips I pointed out before.

Honestly they seem like they're not really meant to ever come apart, which is an an odd design, but there you have it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't see your post until after you managed to reply that you had figured it out...good stuff.

On a side note, your '05 Hyundai Elantra GLS will be a blast. I have an '05 that my son recently took to Texas for work but drove that thing all over Oklahoma and north Texas while in college over the last 6 years. Keep it maintained and it will last quite awhile. Normal routine maintenance goes a long way. He's got over 125,000 miles and thankfully it's been great.
:beer:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Yeah those are hard to remove, I remember in my previous car, a 2007 Ford Focus, I removed it to install an illuminated ring around it and I had a hard time to remove it. I'm glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OKBill: Not a problem, I appreciate the thought. Thanks for the encouragement! It's a five speed with a brand new clutch I had installed as part of the deal with the dealer. I expect it to last a good long time and be a lot of fun once I fix all of the cosmetic issues. :beer:

Xion: Yeah, it's kind of a weird design. I liked the old screw on retainer on the back design a lot better but that seems to have disappeared in newer cars. At least the Elantra already has an illuminated ring around the socket! :grin:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
cool, when I installed one in my Focus, at night it was way nicer, at least I did not confuse the cigarette lighter for the volume knob anymore ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts