Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove a preset radio station? I know I can just replace it with another, but would like to be able to make that position vacant again.

Haven’t checked the main manual yet, but the one for the sound system does not seem to mention deletion of presets.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
Disconnect the battery for a minute or two?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOES anyone know of a way (other than disconnecting the battery and possibly throwing off other things that are more than just conveniences)?

The reason I would like to remove some of the presets (vs replacing them with other stations) is that the channel advance switch on the steering wheel stops at each preset. Today, for example, an installer was testing the radio and added a few of his stations Not blaming him... he does good work...but now they're there and I want them gone. And it shouldn't be that hard.

I HAVE looked through the manual (at least the one for the radio, which is pretty thick in its own right) and cannot find anything in there about clearing or removing a preset.

On the other hand.... if I was to disconnect the battery, would there be any adverse impact on certain electronic components on the car?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
DOES anyone know of a way (other than disconnecting the battery and possibly throwing off other things that are more than just conveniences)?

The reason I would like to remove some of the presets (vs replacing them with other stations) is that the channel advance switch on the steering wheel stops at each preset. Today, for example, an installer was testing the radio and added a few of his stations Not blaming him... he does good work...but now they're there and I want them gone. And it shouldn't be that hard.

I HAVE looked through the manual (at least the one for the radio, which is pretty thick in its own right) and cannot find anything in there about clearing or removing a preset.

On the other hand.... if I was to disconnect the battery, would there be any adverse impact on certain electronic components on the car?
You can pull the fuse for a minute. Your adaptives will be reset as well as all manual settings if you do the battery disconnect.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
Nothing wrong with disconnecting the battery and setting it back to OE settings.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So disconnecting the battery won’t do any great harm, although I’ll try the fuse first.

But what is an “adaptive”? Would it be how the car’s computer makes adjustments based on how the car is driven? Or am I way off?

And still... not having a setting on the radio to clear or skip a preset is ridiculous. There IS a setting for skipping Sirius stations. Maybe programming the preset to a Sirius station I don’t listen to and skipping it will work?

I’d prefer to clear the extraneous presets altogether, but if they’re present yet ignored when scanning (with steering wheel control), that will work too.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't believe you can change the number of presets. Only the stations they are set to.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Ok. So disconnecting the battery won’t do any great harm, although I’ll try the fuse first.

But what is an “adaptive”? Would it be how the car’s computer makes adjustments based on how the car is driven? Or am I way off?

That's what they are.

And still... not having a setting on the radio to clear or skip a preset is ridiculous. There IS a setting for skipping Sirius stations. Maybe programming the preset to a Sirius station I don’t listen to and skipping it will work?

I don't think that will work but give it a try and see.

I’d prefer to clear the extraneous presets altogether, but if they’re present yet ignored when scanning (with steering wheel control), that will work too.
Pull the fuse and set it up the way you want.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried using Sirius station and skipping it, and it did not work. Apparently it only works if it's NOT one of your presets.

I'll give the fuse a try, but probably have to wait till at least the weekend so I'll have time to re-enter all kinds of settings (like Bluetooth pairings for 3 phones, etc.). And of course the presets that I DO want.

I'll report back as to how it went when I do get around to it.

Might shoot Hyundai a quick email and ask if there is some hidden setting that will clear the presets, but not optimistic they'll be able to help.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,042 Posts
Fill all of your presets with the only stations you listen to, then no matter what you hit on the control it will stay on the same or one of the few stations you use (4 stations you listen to with 10 presets set them up station 1-2-3-4 and repeat 1-2-3-4) then you wont have anything pop up you dont listen to

And yes if you disconnect the battery you loose the clock, radio, all presets go to default (as when you bought the car new, the shift points will default and the car will "relearn" the driving style you are but this al happens in a few hundred milesor less

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds plausible. I can see entering multiple instances as you suggest. My main concern would be whether the radio would hesitate on the second preset instance of a station it was already tuned to, or if it would “know” enough to skip the 2nd identical preset and tune to the next preset for a different station (I.e. don’t want to have to scroll through multiple instances of same station). Something I can test, though.

First preference,however, is still to clear all the presets and re-enter just the ones I want. Partly cause I want vacant presets available if I decide to add a new station on the fly, without deciding which station/preset to replace.

And partly just “because”. Cause I’m a bit of a control fresk and it bugs me that you can’t clear a preset —-at least [apparently] not without clearing other stuff that you do not want to clear.

Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
That sounds plausible. I can see entering multiple instances as you suggest. My main concern would be whether the radio would hesitate on the second preset instance of a station it was already tuned to, or if it would “know” enough to skip the 2nd identical preset and tune to the next preset for a different station (I.e. don’t want to have to scroll through multiple instances of same station). Something I can test, though.

Your radio is not smart. You can set every preset to the same station and it will just go through the list.

First preference,however, is still to clear all the presets and re-enter just the ones I want. Partly cause I want vacant presets available if I decide to add a new station on the fly, without deciding which station/preset to replace.

And partly just “because”. Cause I’m a bit of a control fresk and it bugs me that you can’t clear a preset —-at least [apparently] not without clearing other stuff that you do not want to clear.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Would be nice if it were programmed to allow clearing but that is not the case. At least none that I'm aware of.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
"Your radio is not smart."

I was only hoping for "smart enough", but I see your point. :smile:
It's not really the radios fault...It's only limited by the programming that somebody gave it. So who is really 'not smart'. Hard to blame the radio...LOL:surprise:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep forgetting this IS the same radio that doesn't answer spoken navigation instructions (sent via Bluetooth phonecall) until 2-3 seconds AFTER the instructions have started. (<-- another thread).

Don't know if the same persons were responsible for the faulty functioning of that feature as for the [in my opinion] poor design of the preset function), but is the same manufacturer...whoever that is.

DOES anyone know what company makes the radios/head units with 7 inch screens in the 2018 Elantras? I'd like to share with them how enamored I am with some of the choices they made regarding features included and their performance.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Disconnecting the battery died with OBD I, 1996, all flashram now or correctly EEPROMm disconnected Elantra battery several times, only thing that change, took a bit longer to check the tire pressure, radio was the same

Only way to deal with flashram is to reflash it. Is this really a big deal

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok, so disconnecting the battery is not worth the collateral effects. Any chance removing the fuse for the radio (presuming something more critical isn't dependent on the same fuse) might still work?

And no... it's not so important that it's worth the potential disruption of various electronic systems just to get the presets cleared. But if removing a fuse will work (and is as harmless as I think it should be), then it would be worth it.

There are some major inconveniences with this car that cause me to have to adjust my behavior (like having to remove the trunk fuse to prevent much too easy accidental opening of the trunk) and this is nowhere near that bad. But still having trouble wrapping my head around it being impossible to easily reduce the number of populated presets vs having to add "filler" stations to get rid of any you don't want.

Is like having to add a couple of new passengers in order to get two of the existing ones out of your car. Or should I be forced to always have at least x number of people (or presets!) in the car? :puzzled:

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Ok, so disconnecting the battery is not worth the collateral effects. Any chance removing the fuse for the radio (presuming something more critical isn't dependent on the same fuse) might still work?

You may have a reset on that unit. If there's a little hole you can put a bent paper clip or similar in and hit the button and it'll revert to factory defaults.

And no... it's not so important that it's worth the potential disruption of various electronic systems just to get the presets cleared. But if removing a fuse will work (and is as harmless as I think it should be), then it would be worth it.

There are some major inconveniences with this car that cause me to have to adjust my behavior (like having to remove the trunk fuse to prevent much too easy accidental opening of the trunk) and this is nowhere near that bad. But still having trouble wrapping my head around it being impossible to easily reduce the number of populated presets vs having to add "filler" stations to get rid of any you don't want.

Relay the comment below to the manufacturer......They may actually feel like doing a bit of coding after a good chuckle.>:D

Is like having to add a couple of new passengers in order to get two of the existing ones out of your car. Or should I be forced to always have at least x number of people (or presets!) in the car? :puzzled:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Glad you noticed I was trying to be humorius, despite my annoyance with the situation.

I have previously put a paper clip in that hole that’s supposed to be the reset (for a different reason) and unfortunately it had no effect.

Unless I didn’t hold it in there long enough? The radio DID reboot itself. Just didn’t see any difference afterward.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts