Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just went to see if I could get a remote car starter installed in my Azera, and learned that there are no bypass solutions available for it. I then went to the dealership to see if they have one, or what they do when installing car starters in an Azera, and they informed me that they've never installed a car starter in one before, and that they don't think it's possible... Has anyone here ever had a car starter installed in their Azera, and if so have any idea how to do the bypass?? I'm really hoping it's possible, as this is kind of an important thing for my wife and I, as we live in Saskatchewan and it's not uncommon for temperatures to drop below 40 celcius...

·
Registered
747 Posts
You used to be able to get a universal bypass for the transponder from directed electronics (the maker of just about every alarm on the market), but they seem to discontinued the box.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well DmZ. Good news it is possible to have a remote starter installed as we have one on our 08 Azera. The dealership installed prior to our pickup of the car and needed the valet key as the transponder. I do not know the make of the remote starter but we did have many issues with it. The dealership has a guy that installs them. We had the car back 4-5 times. Keep replacing the module. Currently it has been almost a year without issues.

My only suggestion is to contact your dealership and have them contact someone who can install a remote starter.
The dealership here is Airport Hyundai London Ontario. Have them ask for Bob in Service. He's the man.

Our winters do not get as cold as in Saskatchewan, but cold none the less. Heated seats for a reason right!!

Good luck, Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! After talking it over with a couple of friends we've figured out how to get it done, we just end up losing one of our keys. No big deal, I'd rather risk losing my one key than having to sit in a super cold car every morning in winter. Was kind of funny though, I went into the Hyundai dealership and asked about getting a car starter. The first guy immediately says "yeah no big deal at all!", and another guy over hears this and comes over and says "yeah, we've never put a starter into an Azera before and I don't think it's possible as I've never heard of it"... With a car containing this level of luxury, you'd almost expect it to either be a standard option, or something they would've thought ahead for.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well the only problem with the transponder key is leaving it in the vehicle for the remote start to work. It defeats the entire purpose of a transponder key. Someone can just hot wire your car now. Also your insurance company will throw a fit if your car gets stolen and they find a transponder wired in with the remote start.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What a reputable installer will do is take your two original transponder keys and make a copy of it.
They take the copy and “wrap” the new transponder chip around the starter switch.
They return your two original keys intact and you’re good to go.
The transponder lets out a low level frequency and as long as you are close to the starter switch it will work.
If you should leave your key in the ignition while trying to start your vehicle remotely it will get a confusing signal and will not start. The engine will just turn over with no spark.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (boostedfc3s @ Aug 2 2010, 10:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346659
Well the only problem with the transponder key is leaving it in the vehicle for the remote start to work. It defeats the entire purpose of a transponder key. Someone can just hot wire your car now. Also your insurance company will throw a fit if your car gets stolen and they find a transponder wired in with the remote start.
That's ok, I live in Saskatchewan and our insurance is a crown corporation owned by the provincial government. They are pretty forgiving as far as insurance companies go, and around here everyone loves to buy cheap domestics (Grand Ams, G6s, etc...) that are wayy easier to steal, so I don't think that will be an issue :thumbsup:

It's just the thought of losing one of my keys that doesn't sit well with me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts