Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to using forums so I am giving this a shot!

I just recently got my 12 Sonata GLS. I am looking at getting a remote start on it but was wondering if anyone had pros and cons to going factory or aftermarket? I got one installed on my last car (Altima) and the guys that installed it messed up some of the factory features on the car. Please advise

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got a quote from a huyndai dealer for $700 for I believe it's called the mobi remote starter it is a stock unit replaces your original key fob. Yesterday I got a quote from a chain called Boomer McLeod for $550 that would include limo tent all around and a remote start by a company called CompuStar they were one of the remotes that was suggested to me on this forum

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
first off, does your car have the Push Button feature? or do you have an actual key that you put in ignition to turn and start it?

if it's push button, you're better off going to dealer unless you know of a reputable place that can do this. push buttons are a lot more advance to some people unless they know what they are doing.

my work deals with Compustar/Computech which make integrated alarms that will work with push button start for aftermarket remote start systems, but it is pretty extensive labor wise $$.

if it's a key. a place like best buy should be able to do it for around $400-500. it all depends on what features you want

as far as your altima, that just sounds like installer error unfortunately. if "they" knew what they were doing, EVERYTHING should have worked when your alarm install was finished

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
GLS factory remote start kits are cheap on eBay. If you have any electronics know-how I would think you can install it yourself. It does not (to my knowledge) require any dealer programming, just a few plug in connections.

I would not have Best Buy doing this type of work on my car. For one, I have the push button start and need parts they wouldn't even carry. Also, their techs are not well versed in 12 volt systems, CAN BUS, or interior disassembly. Find a good local shop near you that has testimonials on their website. The best ones won't even touch your car before they actually see it.

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
GLS factory remote start kits are cheap on eBay. If you have any electronics know-how I would think you can install it yourself. It does not (to my knowledge) require any dealer programming, just a few plug in connections.

I would not have Best Buy doing this type of work on my car. For one, I have the push button start and need parts they wouldn't even carry. Also, their techs are not well versed in 12 volt systems, CAN BUS, or interior disassembly. Find a good local shop near you that has testimonials on their website. The best ones won't even touch your car before they actually see it.
only some best buy's have really good installers...which are hard to find...i worked at best buy for 4 years and circuit city (when in business) for 2 years...best buy makes their installers take the MECP course every 2 years...but doesnt mean squat...you still have to know what you're doing...i'm definitely comfortable installing a remote start in anything, push button or not...it is true about best buy not being able to get parts, because the demand for these types (or any types of rare installs) is just that - Rare....they won't do them unless in high demand....they are the ones doing your daily $249.99 basic alarm installed no cool features added on unless you pay more $....and not every installer can do a clean install....choose wisely!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts