Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is driving 2009 Sonata GLS. Her work is a bit less than a mile from home. In the harsh NE winters the engine never ever even start to heat up before she makes it to her work. When she is off work it is a bit better because she drives around to pick up/drive the kids.
In real cold mornings she start the car about 5 minutes before she leaves (goes out, start it, and go back home).

We all know that it is bad for an engine to run cold all the time. At the same time, we all know that the best way to bring your engine to normal operating temp. is by driving it, not by letting it run on idle for a long time.

We were thinking about installing a remote start just to save her the hassle of the need to leave the house to start the car 5 minutes earlier. Here are my questions:

1. What would be "worse" for this engine - having a remote start and let it warm up by idling, or forget the remote start and go the mile every day on a cold (freezing engine)?

2. If we go with remote start - how difficult it is to install one by myself, and at the same time - would you trust Best Buy installers? Any recommendation for a trustworthy place in the Boston area to install a remote start? I know Hyundai dealers do that, but it is very expensive.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Idling is probably worse than driving a cold engine, unless she is driving it hard while cold (you are supposed to take it easy at first when cold). How much worse? Not enough for me to care, I've put remote starters in almost all my vehicles. Tons of people have remote starts, I've never heard of anyone having engine problems from it. You say yourself that you are already doing this - she goes out 5 minutes early to start the car sometimes.

And yes it is hard to do yourself. But if you are handy with a multimeter, splicing into wires, taking dash/console apart, then you can probably do it. If you are going to get one of the cheap ones they sell for $149 installed then its a no brainer to just have them do it. You'll pay at least $50 for the remote start alone so thats only $100 to have it installed. But if you want a nice unit they are about $500 installed. You can buy the nice unit yourself for $100-$150 so now you are saving $350-400 by doing it yourself.

The nice ones are really great for long range. If you are just starting it in the driveway then a cheap one is fine. I like to be able to start mine from deep inside a mall or arena, stuff like that so I get long range ones. The nicer ones will let you turn on the rear defroster from the remote too.

If you have someone install it, be aware that the advertised price does not include a bypass module, which 95% of newer cars need. So they will tell you it will be an extra $50-100 over their advertised price but the Sonata does not need a bypass module so you really should be able to get it for the advertised price.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some best buys installers are good guys, they have to be MECP certified or BBY certified but they could still be lazy and cut corners. i have the same car as your wife and i'm an installer. the installation is not hard, i can send you the wiring schematics if you want, you will need patience, wire strippers, electrical tape, razor blade, soldering gun, DMM/ power probe and a 6 pack. the wire schematics tells you what color, location and polarity and sometime amperage. all you have to do is find it, verify and connect it

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
TeamRF, agreed about the 6-pack and props for the soldering remark. :grin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both zirconx and TeamRF.

TeamRF - I think I am starting to get dizzy just from reading the last part of your response (strip wires, etc.) :unsure:.
Also, the 6 pack won't help because I don't drink :grin:

I think I am quite handy in general, but taking panels apart and splice wires in a tight place with 20 more innocent wires next to the one you need kind'a stress me out a bit. In addition I do not have a garage, so doing this before April-May is out of the question in Boston. But who knows, maybe I'll be bored one day and decide "what the hack".
If you could send this I will appreciate it. Is this for a specific model or in general?
Speaking of which - is there a recommended brand/model (nothing fancy, but switching on rear defroster would be nice) that you guys recommend?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (sbi @ Dec 8 2010, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378032
Thank you both zirconx and TeamRF.

TeamRF - I think I am starting to get dizzy just from reading the last part of your response (strip wires, etc.) :unsure:.
Also, the 6 pack won't help because I don't drink :grin:

I think I am quite handy in general, but taking panels apart and splice wires in a tight place with 20 more innocent wires next to the one you need kind'a stress me out a bit. In addition I do not have a garage, so doing this before April-May is out of the question in Boston. But who knows, maybe I'll be bored one day and decide "what the hack".
If you could send this I will appreciate it. Is this for a specific model or in general?
Speaking of which - is there a recommended brand/model (nothing fancy, but switching on rear defroster would be nice) that you guys recommend?

Thanks!!
lol i didn't say a six pack of what, but i like the way u think. don't worry about the rest of wires just be patient and double check and test every wire and connection
pm ur email i'm gonna send it directly from directwire and it works for all 09 sonata. the most popular model with alot of features are the viper 5901 and 5902 (same thing but 5902 has OLED screen and is easier to navigate).

·
Registered
168 Posts
TeamRF if you can send me the wiring guide also, I would appreciate it. I will tackling my install in a few weeks. Just got the remote starters in the mail yesterday, now just waiting for a free weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2-way long range remote start for my 2007 Sonata and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We got it installed at Best Buy, which included the installation at the price. Go look in the store and check for open-box, closeout items. My 2-way came out to $250 installed with a BB warranty, no bypass module needed. BB did a really good job IMHO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (rvv2002 @ Dec 8 2010, 09:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378094
I have a 2-way long range remote start for my 2007 Sonata and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We got it installed at Best Buy, which included the installation at the price. Go look in the store and check for open-box, closeout items. My 2-way came out to $250 installed with a BB warranty, no bypass module needed. BB did a really good job IMHO.
:liebe011: thank you for the props we try our best

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi TeamRF, I just got a Sta Fe 2010, went to Best Buy to install a remote starter and found out they request an extra key, so they can get the chip and leave it in the car all the time... does it make sense to do this instead of by passing? is it safe? an extra key is $120 on top of the starter+install...
Isn't there any bypass for the Sta Fe 2010 out there?

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (Bichito @ Dec 9 2010, 01:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378268
Hi TeamRF, I just got a Sta Fe 2010, went to Best Buy to install a remote starter and found out they request an extra key, so they can get the chip and leave it in the car all the time... does it make sense to do this instead of by passing? is it safe? an extra key is $120 on top of the starter+install...
Isn't there any bypass for the Sta Fe 2010 out there?
unfortunately since the Canadian models are not that popular in us of a they don't have a bypass module for that car as yet, when we take one of your keys or chip, we put it in a Directed 556uw and is hidden somewhere in the vehicle and it not trigger until it is fed current from the RS, so its pretty safe, also the way best buy installs remote starts is to make like factory so if somebody is to look under ur dash your would see anything strange or out of place or hinting thats the location of RS or other modules

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (TeamRF @ Dec 9 2010, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378276
unfortunately since the Canadian models are not that popular in us of a they don't have a bypass module for that car as yet, when we take one of your keys or chip, we put it in a Directed 556uw and is hidden somewhere in the vehicle and it not trigger until it is fed current from the RS, so its pretty safe, also the way best buy installs remote starts is to make like factory so if somebody is to look under ur dash your would see anything strange or out of place or hinting thats the location of RS or other modules
Hi, Thanks for your reply, one last question, despite having the chip inside the car at all the time does the immobilizer still working properly?

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE (Bichito @ Dec 9 2010, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378330
Hi, Thanks for your reply, one last question, despite having the chip inside the car at all the time does the immobilizer still working properly?
yeah 100%, the "box" "kills" the chip and only wakes it to send the signal to the car when the RS tells it to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts