Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SantaFe Ultimate 2.0
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea as to why my remote start will not start the car if my doors are unlocked. All my other remote start vehicles locked the doors and then started the vehicle. I have a detached garage and sometimes I forget to lock the doors.
Another peeve is the 10 minute limit. The cabin is still quite cold after a 10 minute warm up on afreezing day Another 5 minutes would make a big difference in cold weather.
I just cannot figure the logic of it.
Any ideas without wise-crack comments?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Think it's a safety factor so someone can't steal it while it's running outside with doors unlocked. You can also set your cabin temp, defrost in settings so it will be toasty when you get in it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think it's a safety factor so someone can't steal it while it's running outside with doors unlocked. You can also set your cabin temp, defrost in settings so it will be toasty when you get in it.
I don't see how it's a safety feature for being stolen. The gear shft is locked and the engine turns off if you hit the brake.
As for the cabin warming up, I always have it set to warm the cabin to 73 degrees, the seats and steering wheel too. The engine desn't warm up sufficiently in 10 minutyes to warm up the cabin.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
898 Posts
...As for the cabin warming up, I always have it set to warm the cabin to 73 degrees, the seats and steering wheel too. The engine desn't warm up sufficiently in 10 minutyes to warm up the cabin.
A good incentive to just drive it while cold, if visibility permits. Drive gently for the first few minutes, luke warm air in about 3 minutes in typical Canadian winter. More efficient than the idle warm up, better for the environment, save time.

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
324 Posts
Does anyone have any idea as to why my remote start will not start the car if my doors are unlocked. All my other remote start vehicles locked the doors and then started the vehicle. I have a detached garage and sometimes I forget to lock the doors.
Another peeve is the 10 minute limit. The cabin is still quite cold after a 10 minute warm up on afreezing day Another 5 minutes would make a big difference in cold weather.
I agree it's a pain to have to remember locking prior to starting, but with an attached garage I either press a spare garage door opener remote which usually triggers my brain to lock the SF doors either with it's remote or the MyHyundai app.
Winter in SE MN is just starting so I have not used my remote start yet but probably will in the next few weeks. The Jeep GC I sold Sep 2018 to buy the SF had the remote start on the FOB and I'm pretty sure it would just start anytime but lock the doors then ... in fact at least twice it remote started itself when I bent over with coins in my pocket starting the Jeep (not good if garage door is closed but we heard the Jeep running both times).

The 10 min doesn't bother me. The SF 2.4L isn't a bad engine for warm up time, better than my Camry 2.5L but the best winter car was the 07 Jeep GC as that small 8 cyl warmed fast (& got half the city MPGs that the SF does). My question will be in over a year will I pay to renew the MyHyundai app? I'm hoping Hyundai will change their minds and offer it free like Toyota did with Entune, we'll see, but it's functions are more like GM OnStar that they've charged for all along.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you starting your car using Blue Link app. If so, I'm curious as to why you don't just use the option to remote lock the doors.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
558 Posts
Does anyone have any idea as to why my remote start will not start the car if my doors are unlocked.
So a random stranger can't get in your running car and drive it away? Or get in and lie in wait for you to get into the car?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree as it must be some sort of safety feature or something......mine has to be locked and its an aftermarket remote starter...My Ford F-150 is same way as others cars Ive had in the past with remote start..doors for whatever reason have to be locked..even though hitting the brake shuts the system down. So its just the way it is..so to speak.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
294 Posts
My "My Hyundai" app is currently updating and I noticed one of the features they highlighted is "Lock and Start". I'll test it out after my phone finishes updating.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,645 Posts
I’m amazed that anyone would want leave a running vehicle unlocked and unattended. Even if Jack the Ripper doesn’t climb inside to mug you it’s simply an unwise practice.

Also, even on the coldest day in Canada, a vehicle engine is more than ready to roll after 10 minutes of idling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My "My Hyundai" app is currently updating and I noticed one of the features they highlighted is "Lock and Start". I'll test it out after my phone finishes updating.
I just downloaded that update and I don't see that option. Im on a samsung android

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m amazed that anyone would want leave a running vehicle unlocked and unattended. Even if Jack the Ripper doesn’t climb inside to mug you it’s simply an unwise practice.

Also, even on the coldest day in Canada, a vehicle engine is more than ready to roll after 10 minutes of idling.
I don't want an unlocked car. I want the remote start to first lock the car, then start it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just downloaded that update and I don't see that option. Im on a samsung android
I just checked the settings on my newly installed app and I don't have that item on the settings. Are you on Android or Apple?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
294 Posts
I just checked the settings on my newly installed app and I don't have that item on the settings. Are you on Android or Apple?
It's an Android Phone. I'm having the same issue. I do not see that option.

I uninstalled the app from my phone and from my watch. I'm going to reload the phone app and see if the option shows up.

And yes, that did it. I'd surmise that clearing the app's cache and data may work as well.

Did a test and it works great.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm on Android. I opened the app (had to agree to new terms and conditions), and there it was in settings.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
471 Posts
I now have this feature also after allowing the app to upgrade. Was hoping that maybe we now have functionality to turn on heated seats with remote starts, but it's still not there. Grrrr!

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
324 Posts
I do not have the Settings for Remote Start to lock the doors first either. jharazin do you own a 2019 or 2020? I don't see what difference that makes other than software levels but I think the others in the past few posts appear to have 2020s and I have Android with a 2019 Limited SF. My app level is 4.2.40 Nov 10 so that part's probably consistent.
Oh well , just need to remember to lock doors when I open the garage door like I mentioned above. The other limiter in this COVID winter is starting the car every 4 days for the app to trigger at all (that shows on the app) which for many WFHs and retirees may not happen consistently. We just went into another 4 week lockdown other than takeout/curbside and retail is open. It will be sooo exciting in January to get out the house for a grocery curbside p/u when we are usually in FL. Oh well, bored but alive, enough griping.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
90 Posts
I do not have the Settings for Remote Start to lock the doors first either. jharazin do you own a 2019 or 2020? I don't see what difference that makes other than software levels but I think the others in the past few posts appear to have 2020s and I have Android with a 2019 Limited SF. My app level is 4.2.40 Nov 10 so that part's probably consistent.
Oh well , just need to remember to lock doors when I open the garage door like I mentioned above. The other limiter in this COVID winter is starting the car every 4 days for the app to trigger at all (that shows on the app) which for many WFHs and retirees may not happen consistently. We just went into another 4 week lockdown other than takeout/curbside and retail is open. It will be sooo exciting in January to get out the house for a grocery curbside p/u when we are usually in FL. Oh well, bored but alive, enough griping.
Hang in there

1 - 20 of 24 Posts