Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so what is the official procedure for operating the remote start? Does the car have to be locked or locked with the alarm armed? I think the salesman told us the car has to be locked, then you press the start button on the key fob.

So far we have had inconsistent success with it. Sometimes it will start when locked, sometimes it will only start when the alarm is also armed. I was surprised to find NOTHING in the owner's manuals about remote start.

:confused:

·
Registered
244 Posts
My Hyundai branded remote start was dealer installed and its makes no difference if the vehicle is locked or not. I press the button for a split second, the park lights flash, a few seconds later the engine comes to life.

I never received a remote start manual and I did ask for one but was told there wasn't one available. Seemed strange to me - I thought for sure Hyundai would have wanted me to have a manual outlining the risks associated with a remote starter and details like not using it in a garage, etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Hyundai branded remote start was dealer installed and its makes no difference if the vehicle is locked or not. I press the button for a split second, the park lights flash, a few seconds later the engine comes to life.
This is the way I would expect it to work. Ours is very hit-or-miss. Of course, the car is just beyond the 36k mile electronics warranty :mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a owners manual included in the box that the remote start comes, it is ment to be given to customer after install
We bought our Santa Fe as a CPO. Unfortunately the remote start manual was not included with the car. Heck, all the original booklets weren't even in the car and we had to ask the salesman twice to get us new ones.

I was reading the remote start accessory installation instructions on hyundaitechinfo.com and it says the remote start is activated by pressing the lock button on the key fob then pressing the remote start button within 3 seconds. Kind of odd, but we will try it to see if we get consistent results.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OKAY - so our remote start seems to be working fine. After plenty of digging I found the official installation instructions on the Hyundai tech info website.

*You must first press the lock button on the key fob then within 3 seconds press the remote start button.* Simply pressing the remote start button by itself does nothing, even if the car is already locked. I guess this is a feature to prevent the car from starting in the scenario when the button is pressed by accident (ex: sitting on your key fob).

As my wife quickly informed me, there are a couple of annoying things [1st-world problems] that will stop the engine after it is started remotely, such as:

1. Stepping on the brake pedal before inserting the key into the ignition. She says this is intuitively opposite the commonly developed behavior of stepping on the brake before turning the key to star the car.

2. Pressing the unlock button on the key fob twice to unlock all doors. In this case, the convenience of remote start takes away the convenience of remotely unlocking all doors or the tailgate. Not sure why Hyundai designed it this way. Perhaps it is an intruder prevention feature.

Overall it seems like a fairly well thought-out feature that will just take some time to get used to.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You mentioned having to press unlock twice to unlock all the doors - I am pretty sure that is standard practise. The nuisance item with my Hyundai labelled remote starter is that in order to unlock all doors I need to press unlock twice, but it has to be timed perfectly. Press once, wait for parking lights to flash twice, and then press again. If you try press #2 too soon it does not unlock all doors, or if you wait too long it does not unlock all doors. More than once my passengers have been left standing next to the Santa Fe wondering why I never unlocked their doors. But for the most part I have the timing down right all the time. But it is a nuisance. I just wish I could press unlock twice quickly to unlock all doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mentioned having to press unlock twice to unlock all the doors - I am pretty sure that is standard practise. The nuisance item with my Hyundai labelled remote starter is that in order to unlock all doors I need to press unlock twice, but it has to be timed perfectly. Press once, wait for parking lights to flash twice, and then press again. If you try press #2 too soon it does not unlock all doors, or if you wait too long it does not unlock all doors. More than once my passengers have been left standing next to the Santa Fe wondering why I never unlocked their doors. But for the most part I have the timing down right all the time. But it is a nuisance. I just wish I could press unlock twice quickly to unlock all doors.
Yes, I understand that pressing unlock twice is common practice in nearly all keyless entry systems to unlock all doors. If you re-read my post, what I'm annoyed with is pressing unlock twice will kill the engine if it has been started remotely. Now your passengers are left standing outside the car, wondering why the engine stopped AND why the doors aren't unlocked!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts