Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 06 Sonata and it has remote door lock. When I press the lock the first time doors seem to lock and the car flashes lights. If I press it second time it flashes lights and sounds a honk. Does anyone know why the difference? Why does it sound horn only if I press the second time?

Does it engage the alarm after 1 press o 2 presses. I combed the manual back and forth and couldn't find the explanation on this feature :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 22 2010, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325385
You got it! That's what it does. Some Cars beep 30 seconds after you walk away. Our Car only beeps on demand :00000732:

That is incorrect. When he press the lock button it engages the alarm and the locks. When you press it the second time it's a search feature for finding your car in a parking lot or if you were not sure if you locked the car.

To sum this up. When you press the lock button once and the lights flash and you hear the doors lock it engages the alarm and the locks. The second press is only for locating or to check yourself if you locked it. You can test this out by having the keys in your hand sit in your car. Lock the doors with the remote and try and get out. The alarm will go off. You check again by pressing twice you will still get the alarm again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (condor11 @ May 22 2010, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325377
Does it engage the alarm after 1 press o 2 presses. I combed the manual back and forth and couldn't find the explanation on this feature.
The honking on the second press feature has been used by most brands for at least 20 years. My first car with remote entry (a 1990 Ford Aerostar) had it. The explanation at the time was that honking on the second press was a way to confirm that the transmiter was close enough to the receiver in the car for the locks to be enabled. If happened to walk away from your car a hundred feet or so and wanted to confirm that the car locked on the first press without walking back, you could press a second time and honk the horn. No honk, then you needed to walk back closer to the car to get in transmiter range. I guess the manufacturers assume everyone now knows what this feature is for.

·
1,914 Posts
As far as the hyundai's go, I've always been told press it once, it's locked, press it twice and when the horn sounds, the alarm is armed.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (yjbeach @ May 22 2010, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325389
That is incorrect. When he press the lock button it engages the alarm and the locks. When you press it the second time it's a search feature for finding your car in a parking lot or if you were not sure if you locked the car.

To sum this up. When you press the lock button once and the lights flash and you hear the doors lock it engages the alarm and the locks. The second press is only for locating or to check yourself if you locked it. You can test this out by having the keys in your hand sit in your car. Lock the doors with the remote and try and get out. The alarm will go off. You check again by pressing twice you will still get the alarm again.

What is incorrect? What is incorrect is that the O/P just didn't look it up in the Search Archives. But how dare you sir tell me I don't
know how to use my Alarm. One press locks it, and another press within 4 seconds gives you a confirmation Honk. A SEARCH FEATURE, :grin: give me a break. That is what Panic is for. :whistling: You will wear out your lock cycle, and they are prone to failing quicker if you always do this, instead of using the RED Panic/Locate Button. Just because I didn't fully answer his or her question, your take on my post is very incorrect!

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (condor11 @ May 22 2010, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325399
Huh, really. So the alarm won't engage if I press once? Maybe I should test it...
That's what I have been told. Apparently pressing it once only locks it. Test it and let us know!

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 22 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325397
As far as the hyundai's go, I've always been told press it once, it's locked, press it twice and when the horn sounds, the alarm is armed.
No I can't say I ever even heard that? But another Tip and this is the reverse. When opening the Sonata, if you press it once, the Driver's
Lock opens, and if you press it twice within 4 seconds all 4 Doors unlock. Those are the only FOB operations available on the NF Sonata. Of
course the Trunk Release too. I don't see this as complicated misleading issue at all :whistling:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
All of you are so wrong. The feature whereby the horn honks after multiple presses is actually intended as a children's toy.

At least, in my neighborhood, that's what it's used for.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Condor, I feel your pain. That is the difference of Active Alarms and Passive Alarms. My old Hyundai Alarm automatically beeped as you were walking away when Armed. No button needed pressing. It also had a Motion Sensor, and a Microphone. The NF Sonata has none of the above features. With the combination of our blinking Red Light Sensor that blinks all the time, well I think we all were taken!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Jeeeezzzz, 11 replies, and no RTFM ?? :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
We are the most polite of Hyundai Forums. I found as Forum Super Moderator that people hated that type of common advice, and just wanted to discuss it, and with the first person who responded. When I would provide exact links, they'd tell me to get lost. Most members don't even know how to Search, or don't have the time. I gave a lot of people time :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 22 2010, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325446
Condor, I feel your pain. That is the difference of Active Alarms and Passive Alarms. My old Hyundai Alarm automatically beeped as you were walking away when Armed. No button needed pressing. It also had a Motion Sensor, and a Microphone. The NF Sonata has none of the above features. With the combination of our blinking Red Light Sensor that blinks all the time, well I think we all were taken!
Yeah, it's a bit weird the way it works in NF Sonata. Very inconsistent with many other cars.

That, plus the weird way door locks work. For example to have doors automatically lock when driving you have to take Sonata to dealer to reprogram and enable that feature. Owner can't do it himself. Even my older Impala gives the owner the ability to enable and disable automatic door locks when driving.

Sonata is a great car but whoever was designer of the door locking system must've been smoking crack.

·
1,914 Posts
That is one thing I like about the GM cars, the DIC. You can control everything thru them. Ford has a similiar setup, but you can't control as much.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 22 2010, 07:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325405
What is incorrect? What is incorrect is that the O/P just didn't look it up in the Search Archives. But how dare you sir tell me I don't
know how to use my Alarm. One press locks it, and another press within 4 seconds gives you a confirmation Honk. A SEARCH FEATURE, :grin: give me a break. That is what Panic is for. :whistling: You will wear out your lock cycle, and they are prone to failing quicker if you always do this, instead of using the RED Panic/Locate Button. Just because I didn't fully answer his or her question, your take on my post is very incorrect!

:amen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone Forgot to mention that when you hit the lock button twice and you don't hear the horn it means you have a door that is not secure. hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts