Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly PSA and reminder with the cold months coming up.

Don't be an idiot like me and forget to turn off the auto-sensing functionality of your windshield wipers if you leave them in the maintenance mode position and flip them up for snow and ice on your windshield.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a friendly PSA and reminder with the cold months coming up.

Don't be an idiot like me and forget to turn off the auto-sensing functionality of your windshield wipers if you leave them in the maintenance mode position and flip them up for snow and ice on your windshield.
Not sure I understand. Could you give details on mm position and what happened please?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the "hidden design" of the wipers on the Tucson, you can't just flip them up like other cars. You have to hold up on the windshield wiper controls for a few seconds right after turning off the vehicle. This moves the wipers to their maintenance mode position that allows you to flip them up off the windshield for changing the wiper blades. Lots of people flip up their wipers when there is a chance of snow/ice so that their wipers aren't stuck to the windshield or buried in the snow and ice.

The mistake I made last year was having my wiper blades up when the vehicle started while there was ice on the windshield. Since my wipers were on the auto setting and the camera detected ice/snow/water on the windshield and turned the wipers on. This caused the wiper arms to scratch the hood because of the "hidden design"

Just a lesson I learned last year that I wanted to warn others about as we get into this time of year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the "hidden design" of the wipers on the Tucson, you can't just flip them up like other cars. You have to hold up on the windshield wiper controls for a few seconds right after turning off the vehicle. This moves the wipers to their maintenance mode position that allows you to flip them up off the windshield for changing the wiper blades. Lots of people flip up their wipers when there is a chance of snow/ice so that their wipers aren't stuck to the windshield or buried in the snow and ice.

The mistake I made last year was having my wiper blades up when the vehicle started while there was ice on the windshield. Since my wipers were on the auto setting and the camera detected ice/snow/water on the windshield and turned the wipers on. This caused the wiper arms to scratch the hood because of the "hidden design"

Just a lesson I learned last year that I wanted to warn others about as we get into this time of year.
Thank you for the explanation. Would never have guessed that in a million years. Until I scratched the hood like you did!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good info, even if mine is garaged but if it had been outside??
Needs to be turned off in a car wash too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another "stupid-trick" I did was to forget, and leave the Tucson's wiper mode in "Auto," the first time I took it to the car wash. I was worried that the wiper arms would get all bent to **** from the big, front brush. But I got them turned off quickly enough, so that no damage was done. A word to the wise, as they say...

·
22,851 Posts
Another "stupid-trick" I did was to forget, and leave the Tucson's wiper mode in "Auto," the first time I took it to the car wash. I was worried that the wiper arms would get all bent to **** from the big, front brush. But I got them turned off quickly enough, so that no damage was done. A word to the wise, as they say...
Been there. “Panic 101” until you process how to correct it. The brain is a wonderful instrument if used properly. 😂🤣

·
Registered
63 Posts
First time through a car wash today with the Tucson. The guy told me they spray water on the windshield not only to wash but just before they push the button to go, they do it again to see if wipers start wiping. He said there are too many vehicles out there now with water sense auto wipers.

Reactions: Tampa8

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm always getting yelled at by the car wash guys for leaving my wipers on automatic, or not putting the transmission in neutral, or leaving the auto hold on. Then I sit there with the rollers bumping the car up and down and the guys yelling and having to reset the wash timer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm always getting yelled at by the car wash guys for leaving my wipers on automatic, or not putting the transmission in neutral, or leaving the auto hold on. Then I sit there with the rollers bumping the car up and down and the guys yelling and having to reset the wash timer.
Sounds so familiar, Purple, as it's the story of my life--always getting yelled at. And Okie, I'm still laughing at your great comments!

·
Registered
2023 Tucson Limited AWD / Serenity White Pearl / Black Interior
16 Posts
Speaking of car washes...just went to one today and I swear I could hear some sloshing of water in the rear when I came to a stop. I think the sloshing is gone now...but that doesn't seem normal to me....had the car for exactly one week

·
Registered
2023 Tucson Limited AWD / Serenity White Pearl / Black Interior
16 Posts
Wow...never thought about the auto stop with tunnel washes. I've never owned a vehicle with this much technology. Now I see why they offer you a 2nd date to cover stuff. I'm a tech nerd....but even I am overwhelmed with all the tech. It's like a full time job to try and understand how all of the options work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm a tech nerd....but even I am overwhelmed with all the tech. It's like a full time job to try and understand how all of the options work.
I agree, pnthrzrule. But once you master 'em, you'll love 'em. My wife accuses me of sleeping with the car manuals, and she may be right...there are a few options that I would have done differently, such as the auto stop which you mentioned; the default should be "on," so that it works all the time, from the get-go.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
506 Posts
I agree, pnthrzrule. But once you master 'em, you'll love 'em. My wife accuses me of sleeping with the car manuals, and she may be right...there are a few options that I would have done differently, such as the auto stop which you mentioned; the default should be "on," so that it works all the time, from the get-go.
Headscratcher that the default isn't on or even better a setting either way.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,791 Posts
Are you referring to Auto Hold, or ISG (stop/start)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts