Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I currently have a 2017 Chevy spark and thinking of maybe trading it in for a new chevy cruze or 18 hyundai elantra. How reliable is the new elantra sel? Any major problems with the engine or auto transmission or any other part of the car? Are they more reliable than a new chevy cruze and are they comparable in quality to a new Toyota corolla? Thanks.

·
22,793 Posts
Bang for the buck? Elantra Value Edition. I’ve owned 3 Elantra’s since 2011. All were Limited’s. But the VE is a great value. Had a recall for AC on my 2017. Fixed in no time. Recall happens. So, that’s a non-factor. Over 150k between the 3. Not one breakdown, nor hiccup. Trans and engine performed magnificently.

Doubt you’ll get the styling and features in a Toyota for the price. I’d choose Elantra, first, Toyota 2nd. Chevy? Not in my wheelhouse for considerations. GM is following Ford in the SUV and Truck expansion. Ford is offering two cars “only” this coming year. If GM does cut the Cruze from its lineup (not saying it will), at least you should be able to get them serviced or find parts, locally and independently.

If you really want to be dazzled and star struck, check Elantra’s top tier offering:the Limited Ultimate. Some great deals to be had right now at Hyundai.
Good luck, happy hunting. And 00000732 to the forums.

Reactions: cyclo

·
Registered
252 Posts
FWIW- In the 2017 Consumer Reports annual auto issue the Elantra, Cruze, and Corolla all got their top reliability rating (much better than average). JD Power also ranked the Elantra high in reliability. Hyundai has the longest standard bumper-to-bumper warranty of these (only 2018 VW is longer). That said, the ONLY reliability that really matters is YOUR individual car. While reliability across all makes has improved dramatically over the past 10-15yrs, there is still the occasional lemon from any brand.

Personally, I would make the choice based on what car YOU want within your budget (actual sales price after dealer discounts/rebates/etc.). Compare the specific features (trim levels) within your budget since not all brands equip their cars the same. And do NOT hesitate to walk away from any dealer if you don't get the deal you want or they start playing financial 'games'.

I ended up getting my '17 Elanta Limited (Ultimate) because NO other compact offered all the features I wanted (memory driver's seat, dual climate controls, height adjustable passenger seat, full tech safety package, etc.). And I got all those features at a very nice 'out-the-door' price, which was icing on the cake.

Good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Elantra can be a reliable vehicle... that can be also said about every make/model. Obviously, some vehicles might be lemons.

I'd pay a little more and take a Civic or Corolla. If you prefer options per dollar ratios, dealer discounts,... and don't mind being proactive with maintenance, the Hyundai can give you years of reliable service.

Reactions: dreamtheaterr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone here live in the Chicago area and are familiar with happy hyundai dealership and are they any good? I would prob get a sel version if and when I get one.
Please don't judge me but last year I did buy a 18 corolla LE and didn't like the gas mileage at the time. So I traded it in for a new 17 spark because I was impressed with the gas mileage. The spark is OK but I want something a little bigger and with a little more power plus I don't really care for the cvt too much. I understand that many cars are going the way of cvt though. Another reason I traded in the corolla (cvt).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and I saw a lot of people having transmission and engine problems with the 2018 cruise turbo.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Oh and I saw a lot of people having transmission and engine problems with the 2018 cruise turbo.
The new 1.4L in the new Cruze is not the same as the 2011-2016 motor. The new one has been fracturing pistons, and there are rumors that it's an oil burner.
I haven't heard much about the transmission other poor programming. Last I checked it was still the 6T40 and they hadn't swapped in the even lighter duty 6T35 from the Sonic.

The Spark is turning out to be a good little car, but the Elantra is a whole new world in comparison. Fuel economy is about the same between the two cars, so there's no penalty for getting the bigger car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I might get a new hyundai elantra sel first I want to pay my current car off a little more maybe by January. I think it is a mistake only selling Suvs and trucks but idk. Oh one more thing do they have a FlipKey key fob for the sel and is there a really good as plug and play as you can get remote start kit available for the car? Factory if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks for your help. I might get a new hyundai elantra sel first I want to pay my current car off a little more maybe by January. I think it is a mistake only selling Suvs and trucks but idk. Oh one more thing do they have a FlipKey key fob for the sel and is there a really good as plug and play as you can get remote start kit available for the car? Factory if possible. Thanks.
The SEL has the trusty old twist-a-key-start while the Value Ed is smartkey. It's less costly to add a third-party remote start with the key ignition than it is with the smartkey. That being said, the dealer can add remote start to either - smart key being somewhat more than key-version.

What is guiding your decsion to trade out of the Spark and into the Elantra? The Spark is only about a year old?
Do you plan on trading in the Spark? My one concern is that the Hyundai dealer is going to look at it and offer you a pittance for it because of America's love affair with FSP's and the fact that small cars are a tough sell on the used car market these days. You will have to hold firm on a fair trade amount and tell them the trade amount required goes up $100 a day, so it behooves them to accept your terms immediately and proceed with the sale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm willing to take a loss to get something bigger and more power with same gas mileage. Are you saying aside from the loss of money from trade in you wouldn't recommend me getting a new elantra?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased the car December 28 and currently has about 4700 miles and excellent condition. No dents or scratches outside and excellent inside.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm willing to take a loss to get something bigger and more power with same gas mileage. Are you saying aside from the loss of money from trade in you wouldn't recommend me getting a new elantra?
The Elantra is an awesome buy right now. You will be taking a bath on the trade of a subcompact hatchback, but that's your choice. Given the same circumstance, I would be right there with you.

I have the Elantra and I bought my brother a Spark a couple of years ago because he needed a car and he has a long commute. I got the car (LS trim) for under $9k because they were running a 20% off sale and they had rounded up my GM card earnings. No brainer. He's getting about 50mpg with it, I get 44mpg with the Elantra in a far more suburban setting (he's upstate NY in the farmlands).

I personally wouldn't trust the transaxle in the Spark in city driving because it's the dreaded Renault CVT. For my brother's all-highway rural runs, it will hold for 150k or more. For around town? I'd choose a different option. The Elantra's 6 speed automatic has turned out to be very reliable.

In my opinion, with the Spark to Elantra, you'd be going from "good" to "better".

·
22,793 Posts
I was looking over a former issue of Hot Rod magazine. Maybe a couple month’s back issue? Anyway, it contained a 2-Page Chevrolet spread ad from Generous Motors with three of their vehicles pictured. Lined up I n front were all of these JD Power awards. None of the pictured vehicles was a Cruze.

This, after I had read your original post. I told myself I needed to check in and see how you were progressing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking of getting one but I'm going to probably wait until jaunary and get current spark paid off a little more first. I really like it especially since it has the 6 speed and not the cvt. And even thought it may not be as good as a Toyota its probably not far behind it. Oh I know this is an elantra forum but anyone know about the new 2018 accents? Or since they are made in Mexico could this be a bad thing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one but I'm going to probably wait until jaunary and get current spark paid off a little more first. I really like it especially since it has the 6 speed and not the cvt. And even thought it may not be as good as a Toyota its probably not far behind it. Oh I know this is an elantra forum but anyone know about the new 2018 accents? Or since they are made in Mexico could this be a bad thing? Thanks.
The plant in Mexico has been running for a couple of years now. The first cars off the line were the '17 Kia Forte sedans. The Forte is a tiger-nose Elantra. Now they added Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent to the mix for this year. I haven't seen any problems with the Mexican Kia products, and I doubt we will.

One thing you will hear from anyone who sells Hyundai products is that the Elantra sells for about the same as the Accent in the real world. They have incentives on Elantra, not so much on Accent. Elantra does the same or better on EPA estimates. It has more room and more power. Actual monthly payment is about the same for both cars. Check monthly sales numbers and they tell the story. People stop by to get an Accent for cheap efficient transportation, and they drive out in an Elantra for cheap efficient transportation.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
One thing you will hear from anyone who sells Hyundai products is that the Elantra sells for about the same as the Accent in the real world. They have incentives on Elantra, not so much on Accent. Elantra does the same or better on EPA estimates. It has more room and more power. Actual monthly payment is about the same for both cars. Check monthly sales numbers and they tell the story. People stop by to get an Accent for cheap efficient transportation, and they drive out in an Elantra for cheap efficient transportation.
Your post seems right on. I had $15K so that was why I drive an Elantra. One dealership could sell it for the price I required. Accents were close to that price since they had very few discounts.

Regarding mpg mine keeps getting better. Recent 70 mile trip mostly instate with some country roads showed 48.2 mpg when I arrived at my destination. That is driving in ECO mode and coasting down hills with cruise off. The Elantra does everything I need it to do well and has been very reliable so far.

·
Registered
613 Posts
IMO, "reliability" is subjective. To me, something being unreliable means I oftentimes cannot use it. I have 26k on the odometer right now, and haven't had a single problem that's prevented usage in any way, shape or form.

That being said, I have had a few warranty repairs done on the vehicle. 1 was a problem with the headlight finish, and the other was a problem with the XM tuner in the stereo. The headlights still worked fine, and I could still use the stereo without issue (the tuning knob skipped stations; a hard reset fixed this).

Bearing these two issues in mind, I don't consider this car to be "unreliable" in the least bit. If you want a few prime examples of unreliable vehicles, check out the YouTube videos on the problems with the Dodge Dart.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The main reason I bought the Elantra is because it is one of the last cars left with MPFI and a traditional auto trans. As long as you keep up with maintenance and regularly wash & wax the finish (especially if in the salt belt), the Elantra should give you many years of reliable service :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I like 6 spees auto Trans. My dad's 12 Toyota Camry shifts excellent. The cvt in my current 17 spark kinda has to "think" before it will go after I push down on the accelerator pedal before it will move.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.