Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2016 i40. We had a situation where the car was on flat ground, however the hand brake was applied after habit. The car was turned off, but then wouldn’t start. Likely a dead battery, but we needed to move the car. But we couldn’t because the hand brake was on. With the battery power, all we could do was put it out of park to neutral but not enough power to release the hand brake. Is there a manual release I am Missing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You do need the Drivers Seatbelt to be plugged in to release the handbrake
if you are attempting to drive off without disengaging your handbrake manually, then this is true. To manually disengage, you need to put foot on brake then press the handbrake.

sorry this is not helpful to you Ziggywhat.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
if you are attempting to drive off without disengaging your handbrake manually, then this is true. To manually disengage, you need to put foot on brake then press the handbrake.

sorry this is not helpful to you Ziggywhat.
Not in mine. Ignition to on position, foot on brake, release. Don't even need my bum in the seat. If you have a battery charger you nay get just enough amps to operate it, that's what I did when I got mine on the back of the truck with a failed battery or obviously jumper leads to supply power just to get by. Failing that you'll using torx sockets to get the motor off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Foot on brake was my point but please try these scenario's to prove it out:

Drive off without seat belt and without disengaging handbrake,

Drive off with seat belt and without disengaging handbrake,

BY DRIVE OFF I MEAN MOVE 10CM OR SOMETHING LESS.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ziggywhat.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Foot on brake was my point but please try these scenario's to prove it out:

Drive off without seat belt and without disengaging handbrake,

Drive off with seat belt and without disengaging handbrake,

BY DRIVE OFF I MEAN MOVE 10CM OR SOMETHING LESS.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ziggywhat.
Nope. maybe you have different design rules.

As soon as a gear is selected it auto disengages, no idea what the manual trans vehicles do. Again no bum in seat and no seat belt I can do this though very clumsily. Don't have to even go anywhere.

key point would be foot brake applied which makes sense and you need foot brake to start. Mine is push button though it would be the same for key and manuals normally clutch depressed.

The only way to attempt to drive off with it engaged would be to reapply it after you have selected the gear and attempt to drive at which point it suggests you release the handbrake when the throttle goes past a certain %

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manual vs auto, mines a manual. It'll def have slightly different way of doing things.

Testing this on auto would be pointless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts