Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
With the Eco gauge, I have not been able to see any change in it if I am only using the foot brake (not downshifting) no matter how soft/hard I brake. Does anyone else see a change in the EG if they foot brake soft v. hard?

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the Eco gauge, I have not been able to see any change in it if I am only using the foot brake (not downshifting) no matter how soft/hard I brake. Does anyone else see a change in the EG if they foot brake soft v. hard?
Absolutely. My Ecoguide stays at the bottom under light braking. When I brake harder, there's a point of pedal pressure (which varies with speed) where the EG needle starts going up. The harder I brake, the higher the needle goes. It's pretty obvious that the EG is letting you know how much friction braking you're using. When the needle is at the bottom, you're not using any.

I don't know why your HSH wouldn't do this, Kayan, since you're driving the exact same car I am. Also, my 2011 HSH did this too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll have to try this again, as I usually have tried not to slam the brakes, but I'll try to really push them hard and make that needle move. Maybe I'm just too good at recovering when I brake :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with Mike. Get up to about 40, then start applying the brakes. The EcoGauge should stay steady, then start to move up when you engage the friction brakes. Note that once you get below ~7 mph, you only can use the friction brakes, so at this speed the EG drops back down regardless of how hard you apply the brakes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have never been able to tell when the friction brakes takes over for the regenerative brakes. It would be great if there were an indicator for this on the dash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have run some tests on my brakes and even though I'm looking for the Ecogauge to go up, I still have a hard time telling exactly when the friction kick in. I noticed that when I press harder on the pedal, the pointer goes up very slightly, but not a whole lot. Is this slight movement when you all are referring to seeing? Maybe the 2013 improvements make it a lot harder for the friction to kick in since the power-train can accept more energy from the wheels...

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have never been able to tell when the friction brakes takes over for the regenerative brakes. It would be great if there were an indicator for this on the dash.
I agree completely. Toyota and Ford both provide this indication. Would be nice to have on our cars, too.

As far as the EcoGauge moving on my car, under normal braking, I rarely get the needle to move one small tick mark on the gauge. However, I also baby my brakes pretty well (most of my cars get 70,000-80,000 miles on pads), so that could be why!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm - I don't see the same variation on the eco gauge based on braking. Assuming the eco gauge scale is 0-50 (with bold markers as 10 and sub-markers as 5), my gauge goes to 4 for any deceleration - ranging from only taking my foot off the accelerator to hard braking. When I get below about 2 mph, the eco gauge drops to about 2.
This is with a 2011 HSH with the recent ECU update.

Since the eco gauge is roughly indicating energy use, the most accurate representation would be to have it go negative during regenerative braking, and then go back positive as friction braking kicks in. (since the friction braking represents energy that is lost) Really it needs a separate indication. I previously suggested that it could be best shown in the energy use graphic, with the tires getting a red indicator in the middle as friction braking engaged.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just asked the same question today on a new thread as I would like to understand what is going on. I owned a 2002 Prius and I know in that car even at high speeds with light braking you used some friction braking in addition to regen. At speeds below 8 mph you only used friction. The newer Prius were slightly better with less friction used at higher speeds. There was no indication on my car as to what was going on, but from practice I know that light braking going down hill was the way to go.

I would really like to see some technical explanation from Hyundai as to how the system works, as it is a very different Hybrid system than what Toyota employs.

I would really love to see a gauge that shows the rate at which you are recovering electrical energy, not to mention a digital instantaneous mpg gauge rather than the semi circle analog gauge that you have to guess the exact number from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just asked the same question today on a new thread as I would like to understand what is going on. I owned a 2002 Prius and I know in that car even at high speeds with light braking you used some friction braking in addition to regen. At speeds below 8 mph you only used friction. The newer Prius were slightly better with less friction used at higher speeds. There was no indication on my car as to what was going on, but from practice I know that light braking going down hill was the way to go.

I would really like to see some technical explanation from Hyundai as to how the system works, as it is a very different Hybrid system than what Toyota employs.

I would really love to see a gauge that shows the rate at which you are recovering electrical energy, not to mention a digital instantaneous mpg gauge rather than the semi circle analog gauge that you have to guess the exact number from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 sonata plug-in hybrid. It apparently has regen braking but no driver settings (I guess it works all the time). The car coasts tremendously well so no regen w/o braking, right?
So as I understand previous postings, when I brake lightly I am getting regen but not necessarily employing the brake pads???Right?

·
Registered
463 Posts
If it's the same as the 2016 non-plug-in hybrid, yes. Do you have a Power gauge on the left side of the dash, same size as the speedometer? If so, when you step on the brakes you'll see the gauge go into the blue meaning the regen braking is working. The more you step on the brakes the further counter-clockwise it goes and the more charging current goes into the battery. Then about 5 MPH you'll see the gauge suddenly jump back to zero and that's when it's fully on the pads. If you slam on the brakes for an emergency stop then both the regen braking and pads are fully active.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts