Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally run 33-34 psi in my tires, which are filled with nitrogen (if that matters). Since the weather here in Charlottesville, VA has dropped (twenties to high teens at night) My tire sensors show 28 to 30 yet low tire warning does not come on. During cold weather, should I pump up pressures or leave them alone. When the weather warms during the day, say up into high 50's or mid 60's, the pressures seem to get back to normal. Suggestions?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Fill them when cold. What do you think the pressures rise to in the summer? Much more than 35 psi I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For every 10 degrees change in temp the PSI in the tire changes 1 PSI, at least with regular air, Nitrogen not so sure. Always inflate the tires to the cold pressure that you want, in your case it sounds like you want 33-34, so you do have to adjust them as the seasons change. With regular air tires lose pressure every month so one does need to check it often especially as the seasons change.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd pump front tires to 30 psi and rear tires to 32 psi and would not think about summer temperatures - we have long winer ahead.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For every 10 degrees change in temp the PSI in the tire changes 1 PSI, at least with regular air,
1 PSI per 10 degrees temp drop has been my experience too. But I thought nitrogen was supposed to help with this. Maybe it does, but not at the extreme temps we've seen lately.

The one oddity is that the pressure doesn't seem to go back up when the temperatures go back up. Tires are some weird crap.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Mgr wants us to inflate all tires on the cars we receive for work,,, I just inflate all to 36-37 and ship them.. then we dont have to worry about customer come back complaining low air light on.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The 2.0T w/ 18" tires calls for 34psi, I believe. Or maybe 35. Too cold for me to go check my door right now. I also have no nearby places to top off the air, so the car is warm when I get there. I always fill to 37 and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I usually run over what is on the door jam.
Pretty much all new radials have a max pressure of around 44lbs so I run around 39lbs in the front and about 35lbs in the rear.
I rotate my tires pretty regular and when I see the tire starting to wear unevenly I adjust pressures to compensate.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Pretty much all new radials have a max pressure of around 44lbs so I run around 39lbs in the front and about 35lbs in the rear.
I rotate my tires pretty regular and when I see the tire starting to wear unevenly I adjust pressures to compensate.
Assuming that the uneven wear is not due to an alignment issue!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I normally run 33-34 psi in my tires, which are filled with nitrogen (if that matters). Since the weather here in Charlottesville, VA has dropped (twenties to high teens at night) My tire sensors show 28 to 30 yet low tire warning does not come on. During cold weather, should I pump up pressures or leave them alone. When the weather warms during the day, say up into high 50's or mid 60's, the pressures seem to get back to normal. Suggestions?
You should adjust the tyre pressures. Using such low pressures is reckless and unsafe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That 44lbs is the safe maximum pressure. With 39psi in the front you could possibly be running really close to that margin, depending on vehicle loads, speeds, and type of driving.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
That 44lbs is the safe maximum pressure. With 39psi in the front you could possibly be running really close to that margin, depending on vehicle loads, speeds, and type of driving.
44lbs when checked cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For every 10 degrees change in temp the PSI in the tire changes 1 PSI, at least with regular air, Nitrogen not so sure. Always inflate the tires to the cold pressure that you want, in your case it sounds like you want 33-34, so you do have to adjust them as the seasons change. With regular air tires lose pressure every month so one does need to check it often especially as the seasons change.
There is roughly the same thermal expansion and contraction with air vs nitrogen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Mgr wants us to inflate all tires on the cars we receive for work,,, I just inflate all to 36-37 and ship them.. then we dont have to worry about customer come back complaining low air light on.

Yeah. I know. But I pump mine up to within 5 pounds of the sidewall pressure, because I'm more concerned with fuel economy than comfort, and YOU guys keep deflating them! :mad:

;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah. I know. But I pump mine up to within 5 pounds of the sidewall pressure, because I'm more concerned with fuel economy than comfort, and YOU guys keep deflating them! :mad:

During winter time I'd be more concern about traction than fuel economy. Having front wheels a little softer is a good thing when roads are slippery sometimes

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

During winter time I'd be more concern about traction than fuel economy. Having front wheels a little softer is a good thing when roads are slippery sometimes
Oh. I have winter tires and summer tires. I keep the winters at 38.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts