Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've read through the lengthy threads about the sway bar and KYB shocks but I couldn't find a response regarding to how much 'stiffer' the drive feels. Could any of you guys sporting the two mods give me their take on the question? I would love a sportier feel on my E and if it can be achieved by these mods then that'd be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't think the KYBs made the rear stiffer. They just offer much better and controlled damping on compression and rebound so that the back end stays planted and rolls over bumps rather than bounces. Especially noticeable when cornering and hitting bumps and eliminates the back end "dancing" around.

Cannot speak to the sway bar as we only did the KYB upgrade. Sway bars should really not stiffen the ride, only further eliminate side to side body roll unless you use stiffer polyurethane or comparable bushings rather than rubber, which may siffen the ride somewhat.

Do the KYBs first. Simple and relatively inexpensive and well worth it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do the KYBs first. Simple and relatively inexpensive and well worth it!
Sorry for the hijack, but what do the KYB's cost in the states and what approx do they weigh? I got a price of the Koni shocks here and they want approx $800 (R8000) Per shock... Mad I Tell you...

I have just found a Distributor in RSA, and what KYB "Model" do you recommend to just replace the rear shock?

·
22,793 Posts
My interpretation would be that the car is "more firmly planted to the surface." It has enhanced the feel of the road and a better reactive response to various road conditions. I certainly feel the difference, both in rear stability and reactive steering response. But that's me.

Ask a group of people to interpret the word "stiff" and you will probably get a dozen definitions. ;)

·
22,793 Posts
...but what do the KYB's cost in the states and what approx do they cost?
$60.85 each with free shipping from one vendor. I see posts such as yours Stuart, and realize how fortunate we are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okie, true that! I wish I had the online resources you guys had. Not to mention your internet connection... we only get a 10 MB line here,,,

·
Registered
417 Posts
I haven't seen any reports on this upgrade myself.

A sway bar (front or rear) will generally not affect normal stright-line highway driving. A rear sway bar will only come into play when there is unequal loading on the two rear tires, such as in a turn or when one wheel hits a bump or pothole that the other doesn't. So for stiffness of ride over undulating roads: no affect. Cars are usually setup from the factory with a bit of understeer as that is safer and more predictable to the general public. Theoretically, adding a rear sway bar should decrease understeer a bit, possibly moving into a slight oversteer condition. But again, I have read no specific reports.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The SE Coupe suspension feels fairly firm as is. The KYB's are high pressure shocks compared to the relatively lower pressure OEM shocks (although the SE has different shocks than the standard models, maybe more pressure?). KYB's don't really add to the firmness of my car IMO as it really doesn't feel radically different from stock aside from the back end feeling better planted as Rich said. I think it might feel more noticeable on the base cars with the softer suspension. For real firmness you would be looking at replacing the springs all around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As always, this forum is just a pure bundle of straight awesomeness. Thanks for the timely input fellas.
So, you're all telling me that the moral of the story is that the OEM E shocks are just pure crap and is as soft as a baby's butt, so the upgrades will slap some hair on it and make it manly stiff yet supple.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As always, this forum is just a pure bundle of straight awesomeness. Thanks for the timely input fellas.
So, you're all telling me that the moral of the story is that the OEM E shocks are just pure crap and is as soft as a baby's butt, so the upgrades will slap some hair on it and make it manly stiff yet supple.
Nicely put :beer:

Yes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My interpretation would be that the car is "more firmly planted to the surface." It has enhanced the feel of the road and a better reactive response to various road conditions. I certainly feel the difference, both in rear stability and reactive steering response. But that's me.

Ask a group of people to interpret the word "stiff" and you will probably get a dozen definitions. ;)
Thanks for your responses Richie, from this thread and the other ones. I hate to go off-topic but I'm installing a diffuser right now and as you know, it requires blacking out the area around the reflectors, so I was reading the old threads and saw that you installed a rear LED reflector. I also saw that lou has a video on how to remove the reflectors but the problem I face is the reflector on the other side for the 2013 GLS. There is a giant black cover that prevents me from sticking a screw in there for the left (looking at the rear non-exhaust side) reflector. Any idea how to remove this one reflector? My screwdriver won't reach it :(

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks for your responses Richie, from this thread and the other ones. I hate to go off-topic but I'm installing a diffuser right now and as you know, it requires blacking out the area around the reflectors, so I was reading the old threads and saw that you installed a rear LED reflector. I also saw that lou has a video on how to remove the reflectors but the problem I face is the reflector on the other side for the 2013 GLS. There is a giant black cover that prevents me from sticking a screw in there for the left (looking at the rear non-exhaust side) reflector. Any idea how to remove this one reflector? My screwdriver won't reach it :(
I was leery of taking the back bumper off, which is the easiest way to go. So, being stubborn, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a Phillips head bit on the end. Just to get the thing loosened up a bit. Once I had that goal achieved, I used a small thumbwheel ratchet (look it up) and put the Phillips bit on it. Wore out my index finger and thumb turning it counterclockwise, but it eventually came out. PITA, I assure you. But the results are worth every drop of blood and blister you get! No pain, no gain. No blood, no foul. Besides, chicks dig scars! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I was leery of taking the back bumper off, which is the easiest way to go. So, being stubborn, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a Phillips head bit on the end. Just to get the thing loosened up a bit. Once I had that goal achieved, I used a small thumbwheel ratchet (look it up) and put the Phillips bit on it. Wore out my index finger and thumb turning it counterclockwise, but it eventually came out. PITA, I assure you. But the results are worth every drop of blood and blister you get! No pain, no gain. No blood, no foul. Besides, chicks dig scars! ;)
Be it physical and not mental I suppose. Mental chicks though are cool cause their memory can't be trusted :D

·
22,793 Posts
Be it physical and not mental I suppose. Mental chicks though are cool cause their memory can't be trusted :D
You are wise beyond your years, sir! :wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts