Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
With synthetic oil you don't have any worries starting in cold weather with a 10W30. Actually the problem is the car companies are behaving recklessly with the viscosity. They are thinning it out too much to get better fuel economy,
and thus cutting down on the service life of the motors. Thicken it up when possible.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Why would synthetic oil have anything to do with cold startup? It's to do with viscosity and yes I agree they are reducing it for fuel economy reasons other than high oil consumption there's no proof it's reducing engine life.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
May be it's a language or age barrier...I'm not catching your drift? Low vis is getting better mileage but lowering engine life? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Read the post. They say the manufacturers are thinning the oil (viscosity) to get better fuel consumption. Yes I fully agree with that statement. And thus cutting down on the service life of the motors. No I don't agree with that part. Am I clear enough?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So you're saying thin oil is good and that's what you use and recommend.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Maybe it's me...but he won't clarify, could someone else translate? (I am old)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Maybe it's me...but he won't clarify, could someone else translate? (I am old)
He agrees that Hyundai is going to the 20 weight oil in order to save gas in order pass the Café(SP?) Standards. Lots of people think that going to the lower weight oil will not allow you to get as many miles out of your engine. Carlescrown does not believe it will shorten your engine life by going with a 20 weight oil. Just to confuse things, I think it does, but to each his own.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If thats the case these engines should be suffering bearing failure which is not the case. Oil viscosity is not a measurement of the thickness but the flow rate of the oil. What I have seen is neglected engines getting blocked pickup screens due to their size and carbon buildup causing the light to come on but not leading to bearing failure. Toyota are now using 0W20 for out hot conditions and not having any problems. I would not be the dumb mechanic that puts a good old 20W50 in that design of engine.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I believe the standard recommendation is 0W-16 for some Toyota's and Honda's.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No. I discussed it with my oil supplier the other day and they supply genuine Toyota oil for the Australian market 0W20. Anyway the difference is bugger all and at the high temp. They are not having engine issues using this viscosity oil.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I bought my Sonata new in September 2013, been running Mobil 1 0W20 since the first oil change in Demember of 2013. No issues running that oil weight at all. Texas summers are hot, visited Phoenix a couple of times. Again no problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
And I run 10w30 most of the time in mine, no issues either. Environment is a 50 miles a day commute in Central Texas, temps from 20-105 in a typical year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think anyone would agree that after 50,000 miles, the engines can benefit from a slightly thicker oil, due to greater tolerances.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts