Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darn stone chips!

I bought my 2013 Sonata in August 2012 and I used to commute daily (almost 200km) to Toronto and home again; I just retired about 6 months ago. but for the months that I did the commute down/up highway 400, I've been rewarded with stone chips on the hood and front bumper - a couple of which are rusting already. I also have a wonderful (not) 2" scratch on the drivers' mirror courtesy of an automated car wash.

I have tried to touch up some of the stone chips and the mirror scratch with the tube of touch-up paint from the Hyundai dealer. The tube says "Silver"on it but it is a darker silver than my car and is noticable.

Yesterday I got an estimate on getting the bumper, hood and mirror refinished and wonder if the price is worth it at about $1,300. The guy explained that they don't touch up individual spots, they refinish whole panels.

If I go ahead with the refinishing - should I get a clear film applied to prevent future stone chips, even though I don't do the daily commute anymore? Does anyone know where I can find that type of product in (or close to) Barrie?

Thanks muchly.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If they are indeed sanding down, address the existing rust spot correctly to prevent future rusting and painting the area again might be worth it if you plan to keep the car a while.

I had the clear bra on my 01 Maxima and it was fantastic. It does work. However it has gotten pricey within itself that, for me, they have priced their product out of my price range.

There is also a new spray bra that can be DIY. Not sure how effective it is but here is some reading on it.

3M Paint Defender (Spray-on Clear Bra) Review - Page 2 - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i too have stone chips all over my vehicle...and i was thinking about using the plastidip for bra's for the times i am going to be taking long trips. didn't know if that would work or not, nor have i pulled the trigger yet on doing it. i've watched numerous videos on it...and it appears it would work for most debri...and when you are done, peel it off.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah, I just read all the pages for that thread. Based on reading that thread alone I would steer CLEAR of the 3M clear bra spray. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I will be keeping this car (I really love it!) for at least another 3 - 4 years; depends on what new goodies future models have at that time. One final question before I go ahead with this refinishing and front end protection -

How well does the clear bra stand up through automatic car washes with soft cloths or soft-touch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts