Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blue coolant for the hybrid system, the pink coolant for the engine. And only use same color coolant when refilling. Strictly no mixing of fluid. Hope that helps.
Thank you. You know i called the dealership service dept and person on phone didnt have a clue. He told me the blue liquid was washer fluid

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
37 Posts
Take it to the dealer. Like Htech said, the blue coolant is the inverter coolant.

Someone had the same message on a Tucson Hybrid with the same powertrain. Their inverter coolant was also full.

I'm guessing it's a faulty inverter coolant sensor that needs to be replaced. Don't add coolant to a full reservoir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am dealing with the same on my 2022 Tucson Hybrid. Started about 2 months ago, it first took 3 weeks to repeat, but now it is almost daily. I am thinking it has to do with the car being in this hot sun, or if the A/C is left turned on, so it is on upon starting. I checked both coolant levels and they are full. I will be going for my 15K mile checkup in a few weeks. Hopefully, they will just replace a defective sensor. There seem to be lots of owners with this same issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am dealing with the same on my 2022 Tucson Hybrid. Started about 2 months ago, it first took 3 weeks to repeat, but now it is almost daily. I am thinking it has to do with the car being in this hot sun, or if the A/C is left turned on, so it is on upon starting. I checked both coolant levels and they are full. I will be going for my 15K mile checkup in a few weeks. Hopefully, they will just replace a defective sensor. There seem to be lots of owners with this same issue.
I am at 40+ days with my Santa Fe in shop for this issue. They’ve replaced the Pump already and no fix, they’re thinking that replacement unit was also defective. They’re going to swap it again. Seems to me there’s a larger issue here Hyundai is trying to figure out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like Hyundai hasn't a clue what is going on with these hybrids. My Tucson has the same issue. But, one particular dealership said there is nothing wrong while bringing the vehicle twice for the same issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Kia forums have a lengthy thread on this issue involving the Sorento hybrid. A Kia customer service rep stated that Kia is well aware of this issue and the engineers are working on it. The engineers have determined that it’s not a safety issue, the vehicle is safe to drive. From the various posts it seems to point to a software glitch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are any of these techs doing tests on this cooling system to see if the pump is actually operating? If the pump is actually functioning and the coolant temperature is in the proper temperature range, it seems unnecessary to take the vehicle out of service for a sensor issue. I would think that if the system was actually not working, you would get an overheating warning. The proper temperature of this coolant is just as important as the engine coolant. Why is there no temperature gauge for this system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update to my June 16th, 2022 comments as #8. I went to the dealership for 15k service, told them about the "alert". The service person comes out and says, "they are downloading an electronic update and it should fix it". Then, just from driving from the mechanic bay to the delivery spot the alert was back on. Then I was told to bring it back and drop it for a few days so they could call corporate for a fix. I did, they were told to drain the system and refill it (something about metal particles in the system). It worked, and the alert went off finally!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi! My wife also has a 2020 Tucson hybrid. She was getting the same warning indicator about the inverter coolant. In July she brought it to the dealership and they replaced the coolant pump. All good until 2 weeks ago when the warning indicator came up again. Yesterday she brought it to the dealership and they said the coolant needed a flush and fill. I'm wondering if there is something else going on with the inverter coolant system. I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks if the indicator pops up again.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,820 Posts
This is a known problem. They finally came up with a replacement for the inverter coolant. The old one caused issues. The flush is required to make sure that all the old coolant is expelled.

Anyone that has had the coolant replaced and properly flush, so far, has not reported that it's occurred again. Inverter coolant is special non-conductive coolant as it directly runs over the batteries and must not conduct any electricity to short anything out.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
247 Posts
We own a PHEV that uses inverter coolant and engine coolant. The Inverter coolant is fed to the electronics modules that are converting the electrical energy back and forth from A/C to DC and thus develop a good deal of heat which is dissipated by the Inverter Coolant system. It is a 2019 KIA PHEV but Hyundia and Kia share their hybrid technology and they are basically the same.

The type of Coolant used in the Inverter System is the exact same coolant that is used in the Engine Coolant System unless they have made major changes.

It is a mixture of Ethylene glycol base with water.

In Industry we helped maintain Auto manufacturing equipment Facilities They use Huge A/C to D/C Converters for use in the Automotive Painting Departments - Theses units generated so much heat the Power Electronics immediately shut down if certain temperature set point are exceed because the components will begin to melt down- the entire Electronics Chassis and Electrical Power Components are cooled by recirculated Cooling Water. This isn't a problem the units are mounted on heat sinks, the sealed outsides of the heat sinks are submerged in the circulating cooling water which carries the heat away to be dissipated by radiators.

Owned a 2008 Prius for 12 years its inverter coolant and engine coolant were exactly the same also -Toyota Pink Long Life Coolant just like the Hyundai/Kia systems the Prius used the Inverter Coolant System to cool the Heavy-Duty Electronic components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to my June 16th, 2022 comments as #8. I went to the dealership for 15k service, told them about the "alert". The service person comes out and says, "they are downloading an electronic update and it should fix it". Then, just from driving from the mechanic bay to the delivery spot the alert was back on. Then I was told to bring it back and drop it for a few days so they could call corporate for a fix. I did, they were told to drain the system and refill it (something about metal particles in the system). It worked, and the alert went off finally!
We had the flush with ours 3 months ago and the message is back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are any of these techs doing tests on this cooling system to see if the pump is actually operating? If the pump is actually functioning and the coolant temperature is in the proper temperature range, it seems unnecessary to take the vehicle out of service for a sensor issue. I would think that if the system was actually not working, you would get an overheating warning. The proper temperature of this coolant is just as important as the engine coolant. Why is there no temperature gauge for this system?
Agreed about the temperature gauge. When we called for service we were asked if it was overheating. We said we assumed not as there was nothing to indicate it was. We have parked ours as we always have to wait a week o
r more for service. This is our 2nd time, a Sante Fe, and it has already been flushed the first time the message came on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2022 Tucson Hybrid, having the same issue with the inverter coolant alert, took it to the dealer they flushed the system, drove it home no problems... next day the alert came back, i am supposed to take this vehicle on trip on sat i need to know if it is safe to drive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had ours flushed and it was ok for 2 months. We were actually put of state at the time. It came back on and we were back home and took it to our local dealer. They were well aware of the problem and ordered a very inexpensive part but our service order does not give much detail. Looks like a number of 00232-19111 Electric vehicle battery system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts