Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to do an OIL CHANGE on my 07 Santa Fe AWD 3.3L and was wondering what some of you guys who have been working on these cars for a long time would recommend for oil and filter for this car?

It has high milage (272k) but aside from a noisy timing chain tensioner on first start up, it seems to run fine. I will be taking a trip from Albuquerque - Las Vegas and back in late September. Appreciate any sound recommendations. Synthetic or no? Recommended filter brand?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm sure he just meant "oil change", and auto-correct got the best of him :)

I have a good feeling you already know what he meant to type though, based on his well-articulated post?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure he just meant "oil change", and auto-correct got the best of him :)

I have a good feeling you already know what he meant to type though, based on his well-articulated post?
I hate auto correct! And yes, I meant "oil change"

·
Registered
91 Posts
Haha...I'd suggest any decent brand 5W30 full synthetic, and not the cheapest oil filter you can find. Those filters are the flow-through cartridge style replacement, so I honestly don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the brands, just don't get the cheapest one available.

At that mileage, I wouldn't stress too much, just keep it fresh. Do you know what had been used previously?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Not really...he's from the Southwest so I thought it had something to do with horses or bison. Is that auto "correct" on a smart phone? I just got one and I see it gives you choices as you type.
(auto-complete...as it isn't always correct)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really...he's from the Southwest so I thought it had something to do with horses or bison. Is that auto "correct" on a smart phone? I just got one and I see it gives you choices as you type.
No it wasn't a smart phone - I was just in a hurry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha...I'd suggest any decent brand 5W30 full synthetic, and not the cheapest oil filter you can find. Those filters are the flow-through cartridge style replacement, so I honestly don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the brands, just don't get the cheapest one available.

At that mileage, I wouldn't stress too much, just keep it fresh. Do you know what had been used previously?
I have been using Mobile 1 5W30 and usually a Moble 1 filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been using Mobile 1 5W30 and usually a Moble 1 filter.
I'd suggest just stick with that! I'm sure you'll get some die-hards that will say run to your nearest dealership and pay as much as you can for OEM fluids, but I think that's a load of crap. Mobil-1 hasn't steered me wrong either.

Cheers

·
Registered
882 Posts
If there's not leaking oil you can go to 0W20, which is OEM recommended. You will gain 2-4 MPG compare to 30. I recommend OEM filter which has the highest oil flow rate compare to aftermarket, which maybe better

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
In the hot Southwest with that much mileage on the engine, I'd suggest Mobil 1 10W-30. I'm a fan of using OEM filters because of past experience with other Hyundai engines and comments by others. The price is competitive with aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the hot Southwest with that much mileage on the engine, I'd suggest Mobil 1 10W-30. I'm a fan of using OEM filters because of past experience with other Hyundai engines and comments by others. The price is competitive with aftermarket filters.
I think if this were summer I'd agree but were heading into fall/winter, but so far the consensus seems to be Mobile 1. I think I will try to get an OEM filter.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think if this were summer I'd agree but were heading into fall/winter, but so far the consensus seems to be Mobile 1. I think I will try to get an OEM filter.

Look on Amazon for filters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts