Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Accent has 110,000 miles and has terrible on-road handling. It feels like I'm riding in a boat and it almost certainly needs new shocks and struts. I do not think they have ever been replaced. Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand name of aftermarket shocks/struts combo? I don't see any threads specifically on this topic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody responded to this thread but I did end up installing 4 struts in my car. I bought them from Complete Struts (w w w.c o m p l e t e s t r u t s.c o m sorry I'm unable to post a link). The guy who installed my struts says the brand doesn't matter because it's a small car and small cars don't demand heavy-duty struts.

I will say that I do not recommend buying struts from Complete Struts. I only have owned them two months and they were great at first, but there is now more sway in tight turns and more queasiness in bumps than in the beginning. The car still handles better than it did before, but I am quite disappointed that they degraded so quickly. The question is still open on what aftermarket brand struts are recommended for the Accent and it's a shame nobody answered this before I spent hundreds of dollars actually replacing them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Depends on where you live, don't replace OEM coil springs because they will change the ride and handling, unless they are rusted and going to break. KYB and Monroe have great struts. You will also need quality strut mounts. Don't recommend any of aftermarket complete strut assembly, including KYB and Monroe, they all use springs that stiffer than OEM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM springs were already replaced with the Complete Struts brand I got. I was told it was a simpler labor job to replace it all as one unit. Had I known it would drastically change the handling from OEM, I wouldn't have done that.

It's too late now, but at least I have a better idea of what brands to replace it with in the future. If I do replace the struts, I will have the mechanic examine the new coils and mounts to see if they are mechanically sound. If they are, I could just replace the struts with KYB or Monroe ones. Or perhaps Gabriel? I see that brand often also.

Stiffer than OEM suspension might not be ideal but would still make me happy. What is not good is a softer or "queasier" suspension than when new, which is what my car is now after my new struts aged just two months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts