Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I own a Hyundai Sonata 2009 2.4 , without the infinity system .
I'm installing a new stereo system:

JVC KW-M730BT -Double Din
Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6.5" Car Audio 2-Way Component System -front
Infinity REF-704A 1000 W Peak (400W RMS) Reference Series 4-Channel Amplifier

I need a recommendation for a subwoofer speaker that fits the existing hole, in the trunk . With as few adjustments as possible.

thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
None if you’re going to use the factory sub location.. it’s also a pain in the a$$ to put it in there..

Get a proper enclosure and a 12” you can afford.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Depends on the bass you want. An image dynamics 8 does pretty well, but the main issue you'll have in a free-air situation is displacement. The more the better. Most people that 8 won't be enough. It might be a better idea to go with a 10 or 12 that's good for your amps power and call it a day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with 'SparkManBC': Bail on the factory, deck-mount sub.

The trunk in the Sonata are huge. Purchase--or better: build--a proper sub enclosure. Decide if the enclosure will be either acoustic suspension or ported. Decide if that enclosure will support one or two speakers. Purchase a dedicated, appropriately sized amp. Do NOT repurpose the OEM Infinity amp. Simply pull the fuse and abandon it in place.

That said...

The OEM deck-mounted sub in my '06 Azera died. The OEM Infinity system uses a dedicated sub-amp with particular impedance for the lone sub--maybe it's the same on the Sonata. An exact replacement speaker was much too expensive; an exact "drop-in" aftermarket speaker did not exist.

I selected the Polk Audio db840DVC subwoofer (https://tinyurl.com/ybds7gr9) from three different products that are olm-compatible with the OEM amplifier.

Replacing the sub in an '06 Azera was not a straightforward, bolt-compatible speaker swap. Nor was the harness compatible. You are forewarned. If you face a similar dilemma with your Sonata, and/or you are disinclined to work with tools, or lack the required tools to do the swap, well... read no further and do the sub-enclosure thing.

I had to make a 3/4" depth adapter ring (with MDF) to fit between the speaker and the rear deck. I applied RTV (a rubber-based airtight sealant) to the speaker-side of the adapter ring, clamped it against the sub's mount ring, and let it cure for a few hours. I drilled bolt holes thru the adapter ring using the speaker mounting holes as guides. To my surprise, and relief, two of the speaker mounting holes lined up with the existing holes in the rear deck. I secured the speaker with appropriate sized threaded bolts paired to self-locking nuts, then drilled new bolt holes thru the rear deck where necessary. A compressible, closed-cell foam weather-stripping serves as a seal between the speaker adapter and the rear deck. And finally, since the sub hangs from below the rear deck, the OEM speaker grill is completely unaffected by, and thus utterly compatible with, this or any speaker that is similarly mounted.

As for wiring the thing, I downloaded the OEM speaker wire color guide from "CarInstallExperts" and referenced the PDF to identify the positive feed and isolated ground wires for the subwoofer. I removed and discarded the OEM harness connector, crimped spade terminals to each wire, and slid each to its respective speaker terminal. Easy-peasy.

The Polk Audio db840DVC sub sounds absolutely awesome in the Azera and complements the existing Infinity speakers without overpowering the rest of the system or sounding too "boomy". This genuinely surprised me given the fact that the sub is deck-mounted (meaning: typically weak bass). Dunno if props go to Infinity for their amp, Polk Audio for their sub, me for my awesome fabrication and installation chops, or all combined.

I intend to replace all the Infinity speakers anyway, but I am especially happy that replacing the sub did not necessitate bumping up this activity on my priority list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts