Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purdhsed a 2006 sonata gls, and love it , a coupe months ago I took it to a jiffylube for a/c servicewhere they drained and recharged it
that great for about 6 weeks ( it sat for most of that time as I am an OTR Driver) latley when I drive the ac doesnt seem to be doing the job and asume there must be a leak soimewhere. I plan on going to the local auto parts house and buying some more refridgerant with a sealer and doing it myself, my question is when I do it do I connect to the high line or the low line to recharge it? sure I could gfo back to jiffylube and pay another $150.00 but that really isnt feasible right now

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like you got a leak, probably the compressor seal. DO NOT CONNECT TO HIGH SIDE! YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF. LOW SIDE IS SUCTION FOR NEW FREON. Get a can from Walmart with the gauge on it.

Are you still under warranty? You should have 5 yr/60K mile warranty on that if you're the original owner. It leaks because a component has failed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DO NOT ADD goofy stuff to the system... the only allowed "stop-leak" is the actual repair of a leak if it has a leak...

R-134 and correct oil is all you should ever use in any A/C system

Reactions: Jpulido09

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
354 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Aug 9 2010, 09:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348304
You should have 5 yr/60K mile warranty on that if you're the original owner.
Unless I missed something, the 5/60k warranty goes with the car regardless of the owner(s). Only the 10 yr/100k is to the original owner.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you go to the website of any of the cheaper DIY refrigerant substitutes, you'll find that the real directions include a full cleanout/vacuum of what's in the system now and then you can add the replacement refrigerant. If you mix them, you'll screw up your AC system.

I've never used the replacement stuff, but I have looked into it after hearing that some people I know tried it without cleaning out the original refrigerant and ended up with bigger problems.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Alfons @ Aug 10 2010, 01:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348436
If you go to the website of any of the cheaper DIY refrigerant substitutes, you'll find that the real directions include a full cleanout/vacuum of what's in the system now and then you can add the replacement refrigerant. If you mix them, you'll screw up your AC system.

I've never used the replacement stuff, but I have looked into it after hearing that some people I know tried it without cleaning out the original refrigerant and ended up with bigger problems.

Why would you need to install some "replacement" refrigerant when you can buy R-134 till the cows come home, even at Wal-Mart, maybe Krogers..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Regarding the leak, it may be that the schrader valve on the suction line where the Jiffy guys did their fill has not seated properly, which would allow the R134a to slowly leak out. For $15, its worth a can of refrigerant from WalMart to see if this is the case. (I'd suggest soaping the valve, but I wouldnt want to risk any moisture intrusion. Really hurts AC performance.)

Also, I've had really good luck with the Arctic Cool refrigerant. It's 134a with a synthetic/polymer booster that improves gas efficiency through the orifice. It really does make it cooler. I've used this for over 5 years in multiple vehicles with no ill effects. Always makes it better. (I will actually bleed down some refrigerant so I can add a can of this stuff. Again, it is 134a, with a synthetic booster.)

As noted, you always want to charge on the low side, and you can buy a can with a temperature compensated scale on the gauge. Check to be sure the schrader valve is not still bubbling when you disconnect, Be sure it's seated so you have no leakage. Good luck!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yep, like TL says, those Shrader valves are a common leak source on A/C systems. Make sure they have their protective thread-on plastic caps in place too. Given the vehicle is close to 5yrs old, I would replace the dryer on the system as well. The desiccant bag is probably saturated.

Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts