Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I hope someone can help. During the recent cold weather my Terracan will sometimes fire up then stall after a few seconds. Will not start again unless a little bit of easy start is used. Once warm there are no problems.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
thanks for the response. Its slightly warmer this morning, 2 degrees, car started okay. I checked the voltage across the battery, reading 7.5 volts? Took the reading while the car was running and it was similar. Either a duff multimeter or alternator/battery perhaps. Any thoughts appreciated.
I am not sure if the vehicle has a coolant sensor it is a 2005 2.9 crdi.

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
easy start takes load off starter motor, allowing voltage for electrics to work.
You need to check battery, cold weather often kills old batteries.
Jump start does not always help if battery has duff cells.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,318 Posts
Either a duff multimeter or alternator/battery perhaps. Any thoughts appreciated.
I think you have a duff multimeter.

I doubt there will be anything wrong with the battery since you say the engine was starting...then stalling. I can't think why a faulty battery would cause the engine to stall.

And yes, it will have a coolant temperature sensor. All car engines have them, which kinda tells you something about the person that needed to ask :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response, I will check the multimeter against a known voltage, how would I check the coolant sensor if that is the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
""it will have a coolant temperature sensor. All car engines have them, which kinda tells you something about the person that needed to ask ""

it is a question and does not need any thing more than a reply.
Better to ask than not know.
Any guidance is better than none.

duff multimeter - have you set it to DC volts?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Folks,
I hope someone can help. During the recent cold weather my Terracan will sometimes fire up then stall after a few seconds. Will not start again unless a little bit of easy start is used. Once warm there are no problems.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The fact that the car starts and runs using easy start indicates that the car is receiving fuel and ignition.

It may be the fuel pump is either defective or not receiving correct voltage, due to voltage drop /poor connections and when the cars starts using easy start, increased charging voltage to fuel pump allows the pump to operate correctly. Inspect fuel filters for any flow restrictions.

Coolant temp sensors are easy to test using a multimeter that you know is not stuffed. The resistance figures might be found online but be aware some cars have two sensors , one for the temp gauge and one that supplies info to the ecu.
If you can excess the coolant temp sensor you could poor warm water on it and perhaps prove your theory. However I do not think the sensor is defective.

A code reader/scanner may provide some info for you but a careful visual inspection must be carried out to avoid chasing your tail.

Please inform the forum if you solve the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks for the response. A new multimeter has proved battery and alternator readings to be as expected, so that should rule out battery and alternator Now that it is slightly warmer all is well though I must get to the bottom of the problem.I have read that the terracan has 2 pre air heaters and a diesel pre heater, could this be the problem.
Suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts