Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck work late last eve, ticket has electric concern, "lights flicker, radio cut out", and couple other tied into same job line..

Test drive (in daylight for lights concern), and plow the bump in our drive on way in, nothing.. pull on rack, and stick in "N",,, lights on wall flickering (voltage variation).. static battery via DVOM, 12.4V,, moved black lead to engine,, Hmm, missing rough 2V..

Prepped for ground cleaning,, the battery cable bolt at sheetmetal beside battery wont unscrew,, it just spins, so I have to pull cable and run bolt at same time to get it out..

Picture of bolt... where be my solid connection ?? (8mm bolt here)

I was going to bolt and nut the lug back in place,, WRONG,, Hyundai enclosed to lower portion, so that not happening, suppose I could MIG as stud,,, MIG in body shop across lot, they gone home.. so now I decide to rough hog the hole and run a 10x1.25 tap and make new hole,,, open lug to pass a 10mm bolt, and re-assemble.... Now I have battery voltage at engine block, cranked and fire right up..

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Any idea what the underlying cause is based on what you’ve seen (corrosion, vibrating out, crappy sheet metal... all of the above)? That’s a pretty hefty voltage drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what the underlying cause is based on what you’ve seen (corrosion, vibrating out, crappy sheet metal... all of the above)? That’s a pretty hefty voltage drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally it start with rust insulating the threads, high resistance / arcing which
kinda does an EDM thing,, cant say positive why the galled steel in the bolt threads from body insert, uless it was a metal transfer kinda thing (maybe taking out my back side, I dont know)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Stuck work late last eve, ticket has electric concern, "lights flicker, radio cut out", and couple other tied into same job line..

Test drive (in daylight for lights concern), and plow the bump in our drive on way in, nothing.. pull on rack, and stick in "N",,, lights on wall flickering (voltage variation).. static battery via DVOM, 12.4V,, moved black lead to engine,, Hmm, missing rough 2V..

Prepped for ground cleaning,, the battery cable bolt at sheetmetal beside battery wont unscrew,, it just spins, so I have to pull cable and run bolt at same time to get it out..

Picture of bolt... where be my solid connection ?? (8mm bolt here)

I was going to bolt and nut the lug back in place,, WRONG,, Hyundai enclosed to lower portion, so that not happening, suppose I could MIG as stud,,, MIG in body shop across lot, they gone home.. so now I decide to rough hog the hole and run a 10x1.25 tap and make new hole,,, open lug to pass a 10mm bolt, and re-assemble.... Now I have battery voltage at engine block, cranked and fire right up..
I hope your a salaried guy in the shop, If your book rate I feel so sorry for you.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I hope your a salaried guy in the shop, If your book rate I feel so sorry for you.
No doubt, right? So much good information and follow through. He would be one of those mechanics I would leave behind some appreciation in the front seat for him to consume later. :wink:

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Should've just let junior handle it and delayed getting it for a few more days (or weeks if you were lucky).

Never underestimate the power of good ground on a car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts