Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was called today about a recall on the rear lower control arm. So its going in on Monday to be replaced. Anyone else hear about this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scroll the first couple pages of YF Sonata, YF Turbo Sonata, and YF Hybrid Sonata.. handfull of topics that been running since released back in July..

We replacing rear lower control arm kit, and bolts if we have to cut the arm out.

Hyundai Motor is only paying us for a rear wheel align, so you be best to inquire what additional cost the service dept want for finish 4 wheel align since it already set up for align,, and Hyundai Motor paying for rear portion..

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-y...nyone-get-rear-lower-control-arms-recall.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/163631-service-campaign-tp3.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/230-sonata-yf-turbo/167162-lower-control-arm-recall.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scroll the first couple pages of YF Sonata, YF Turbo Sonata, and YF Hybrid Sonata.. handfull of topics that been running since released back in July..

We replacing rear lower control arm kit, and bolts if we have to cut the arm out.

Hyundai Motor is only paying us for a rear wheel align, so you be best to inquire what additional cost the service dept want for finish 4 wheel align since it already set up for align,, and Hyundai Motor paying for rear portion..

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-y...nyone-get-rear-lower-control-arms-recall.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/163631-service-campaign-tp3.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/230-sonata-yf-turbo/167162-lower-control-arm-recall.html
Thanks, I did a search on control arm and didn't find anything. I wounder why it took them this long to let me know. They said it was vary important that I take the car in and get the control arms replaced as soon as possible. I also go this email.

URGENT RECALL
IMPORTANT:
ACCORDING TO OUR RECORDS, YOUR 2012 HYUNDAI SONATA MUST UNDERGO A MANDATORY REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM REPLACEMENT DUE TO RECALL NOTIFICATION #TP3.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks, I did a search on control arm and didn't find anything. I wounder why it took them this long to let me know. They said it was vary important that I take the car in and get the control arms replaced as soon as possible. I also go this email.

URGENT RECALL
IMPORTANT:
ACCORDING TO OUR RECORDS, YOUR 2012 HYUNDAI SONATA MUST UNDERGO A MANDATORY REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM REPLACEMENT DUE TO RECALL NOTIFICATION #TP3.
My dealer has both Emailed me and sent me a letter in the mail about getting the recall work done. The letter said "allow 2 hours for this work to be completed." I will get it done eventually. I am not too worried about it. My car is 40 months old and has 45,000 miles on it. If it has gone this long, it can certainly wait another month or two. My car needs new front brakes...to me that is more important than this lower rear control arm thing. One thing at a time :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Where did this e-mail come from (address of sender ? )

Are you an original owner ? If not, Hyundai Motor Company not know who lawfully own the VIN.. otherwise somewhere along the line, you get a letter from Hyundai USA in the form of an "owner notification letter".

Majority of the time, if owner is in regular habit of visit a Hyundai dealer service dept, the advisor is supposed to run VIN on every car that visits service to verify all recall completed, and do them during that visit, or make arrangements for car to be returned for completion of open recalls.

A lot of our customers get recall finished well before letter show up in mail box.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a postcard about the recall today too. The email and postcard are all from the dealer. Also, I'm the original owner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Where did this e-mail come from (address of sender ? )

Are you an original owner ? If not, Hyundai Motor Company not know who lawfully own the VIN.. otherwise somewhere along the line, you get a letter from Hyundai USA in the form of an "owner notification letter".

Majority of the time, if owner is in regular habit of visit a Hyundai dealer service dept, the advisor is supposed to run VIN on every car that visits service to verify all recall completed, and do them during that visit, or make arrangements for car to be returned for completion of open recalls.

A lot of our customers get recall finished well before letter show up in mail box.
I am the original owner and get all service done at the dealer. My Email and letter were from the dealer, not Hyundai corporate. I have not received anything from Hyundai corporate yet about this recall. I guess the dealer proactively went through their records and informed all affected customers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got mine done a couple of months ago, I paid the difference for a four wheels,alignment. While the equipment is installed, get a full alignment

·
Registered
53 Posts

URGENT RECALL
IMPORTANT:

I got mine done today, talked to the service manager at the dealer a few weeks back.. I had to ask for it. Nobody informed me, infact, he told me it wasn't an urgent/mandatory thing. Not sure what to think now..

edit: "Fitter_here" you had to pay the difference for a four wheel alignment?! I just asked them if they are going to do (and yes I made sure to say FOUR wheel alignment) and they said yes, gave me a printout when done and that was that. Atleast I can be happy about that :p

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I got mine done today, talked to the service manager at the dealer a few weeks back.. I had to ask for it. Nobody informed me, infact, he told me it wasn't an urgent/mandatory thing. Not sure what to think now..
It's not urgent. That was just a word used on a dealer flyer to some people. Hyundai themselves would send you a letter for safety recalls. A dealer is not Hyundai corp. They do get paid by Hyundai for the repair....you pay for any other services they can sell you while you're there.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Scheduled to have this done on Monday. Searching online for an official listing of this recall #113 I there is nothing listed on Hyundai or NTHSA. I do see some chat about folks getting it in forums and a few blurbs on other websites but nothing officially from Hyundai. I didn't get anything mailed from Hyundai corporate either. Dealer just told me about it when scheduling my next regular service.

Just asked service about it again and they said "It's in our system". Thought it might be a ploy to get me to pay for additional work, but they are not even planning to do an alignment. Not sure how I feel about that. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
No need to bump both threads.

Get it done, free of charge. While dealers will try to send you all kinds of "official notices" about things, this one is real. Can't promise they won't try to sell you a cleaning or flush of something, but the control arm replacement is free of charge. Hyundai won't send you anything, as this is not the same as the brake switch that was recalled earlier this year, in some models and dates; nor will the NTSB have anything on it.

Hyundai mandates that they align the rear, as part of the repair, but not the front. 98% of the time, you'll be fine with just that. If you insist on having in done, they should give you a deal on doing the front. Plan on dropping it off, unless they give you a loaner. Some service departments are better ( faster ) at it than others, as I found out. They get paid by Hyundai for the repair, so the huge dealer markups on price don't happen, so they're not happily lining up to do this repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No need to bump both threads.

Get it done, free of charge. While dealers will try to send you all kinds of "official notices" about things, this one is real. Can't promise they won't try to sell you a cleaning or flush of something, but the control arm replacement is free of charge. Hyundai won't send you anything, as this is not the same as the brake switch that was recalled earlier this year, in some models and dates; nor will the NTSB have anything on it.

Hyundai mandates that they align the rear, as part of the repair, but not the front. 98% of the time, you'll be fine with just that. If you insist on having in done, they should give you a deal on doing the front. Plan on dropping it off, unless they give you a loaner. Some service departments are better ( faster ) at it than others, as I found out. They get paid by Hyundai for the repair, so the huge dealer markups on price don't happen, so they're not happily lining up to do this repair.
Sorry for the double bump (forum newbie).

Tech said they weren't planning on doing any alignment and that it wasn't needed. I told him that didn't sound right but he stuck to his guns and being a total ignoramus when it comes to auto mechanics, I didn't feel confident in pushing it.

Hyundai mandates a rear alignment? How can I prove that to a Hyundai dealer? What's will happen if the replace the control arm and don't do a rear alignment?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Tech said they weren't planning on doing any alignment and that it wasn't needed. I told him that didn't sound right but he stuck to his guns and being a total ignoramus when it comes to auto mechanics, I didn't feel confident in pushing it.

Hyundai mandates a rear alignment? How can I prove that to a Hyundai dealer? What's will happen if the replace the control arm and don't do a rear alignment?
Which recall we talking about and align for rear ??

TP3 states in the instructions that rear align only to be performed.. the car is a 4 wheel align car..

The 113 recall for the NF chassis has not been released, so nobody going to know anything as instructions/parts lists not been made available to dealer, thus dealer cannot know what is being done to be able to tell customer what happening.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts

No problem. Print this out. See number 12 at the end. He gives you any problem, call Hyundai; they'll take care of you.
http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/13-01-025.pdf

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Forgot to add, I doubt you will go crashing into a jersey fall without the wheel alignment. If done correctly, I doubt you'd even notice any work was done, but, hey, if Hyundai wants to pay for it, for free, why not have it done, right? Do not be afraid to go to another Hyundai dealership to have this done. As long as there's a Flying H over the dealership, they can do the work; it doesn't have to be the one you bought from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts