Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai,

I think it's about time guys, since the 2003 model people have been reporting problems with your fuel doors and having pay a lot of money because you can't design a fuel door that works. I have a 2014 Santa Fe that left my wife and two infant children stranded at a gas station because she couldn't open the fuel door and didn't have enough fuel to make it home. The manual release in the back also did not work. There are at least 10's of thousands of people reporting the same problem all over the internet and your own forums for the past 15+ years. PLEASE STOP using cheap crappy parts that can effectively disable the entire vehicle and leave people stranded.

This SHOULD be a free fix for all models IMO instead of us having to pay and fix your failures.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
So to quote a phrase often seen on here " every bit as competitors good for thousands less" Hyundai may well enjoy some cost advantages from vertical integration - but there are some areas that they use cheaper designs and materials, and of course the oft quoted phrase "sometimes you really do get what you pay for"

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a problem with the fuel door on my 2011 Elantra Touring. It was the spring that would not force the door open when I pulled the cable release. I found that if I hung my keys or some object in the gap between the door and body that the door would open when I pulled the release. Or just ask someone to pull the handle while you try to open the door. Eventually I found the spring was just a little weak and it needed lubrication. All is well now, but It's infuriating when it won't open.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Recalls are typically for safety (As it relates to the operation of the vehicle) or emission items, not for items like this. Some manufacturers will extend the warranty of specific failures. Those are called Special Policies, and the bottom line there is that everyone pays for those with their next vehicle.

Both of the vehicle described ARE older vehicles and items will fail. Not discounting DTech's comments as I have respect for him and what as a Tech he bring to the forums. And he is correct. As a general rule there IS going to be a difference between a Hyundai and something like an Acura. Just as there would be between a Suzuki (We sold some of those rebadged as GM products). But even for more or less expensive vehicles,......They still fail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made a video on Youtube regarding this. And posted about it also. Hope this helps. It's a cheap repair and fairly easy.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Both of the vehicle described ARE older vehicles and items will fail. Not discounting DTech's comments as I have respect for him and what as a Tech he bring to the forums. And he is correct. As a general rule there IS going to be a difference between a Hyundai and something like an Acura. Just as there would be between a Suzuki (We sold some of those rebadged as GM products). But even for more or less expensive vehicles,......They still fail.
My wife complained that the fuel door stuck closed so I lubricated the hinges. It's a cheap but reasonably effective design and yes some mfg may issue a TSB to deal with these types of issues but not a recall. How many owners ever bother lubing doors hinges until they begin to have issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts