Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 2007 Entourage in for the stop light switch recall. Dealer ended up fixing several other recalls. Took them two days, dealer said they had to wait on parts.

1. Campaign TR9 Heater Pipe Assy Replace and coolant refill
2. Campaign TR8 Rear Corrosion Treatment
3. Campaign 115 Front Lower Arm Corrosion - dealer replaced both front lower arms
4. Power Sliding Door Latch Replacement
5. Stop lamp switch replacement and ground wire

And since they had the door panel off for the sliding door latch replacement they replaced the door motor actuator, $22.71 part; $117.95 labor. The sliding door had quit working a month or so ago. I was waiting for warm weather before tackling that job.

The key fobs quit working some time ago. But my wife only had the main fob with the van and she asked the dealer to re-sync the key fob with the van - my suggestion. Mechanic told her the fobs go bad and she would need to buy another one at $100+. When the one fob quit working I tried the back-up fob with new batteries and it didn't work either. I seriously doubt the back-up fob quit working at the same time as the main fob. Guess I'll be researching what it takes to re-sync the fobs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Took the 2007 Entourage in for the stop light switch recall. Dealer ended up fixing several other recalls. Took them two days, dealer said they had to wait on parts.

3. Campaign 115 Front Lower Arm Corrosion - dealer replaced both front lower arms

And since they had the door panel off for the sliding door latch replacement they replaced the door motor actuator, $22.71 part; $117.95 labor. The sliding door had quit working a month or so ago. I was waiting for warm weather before tackling that job.

The key fobs quit working some time ago. But my wife only had the main fob with the van and she asked the dealer to re-sync the key fob with the van - my suggestion. Mechanic told her the fobs go bad and she would need to buy another one at $100+. When the one fob quit working I tried the back-up fob with new batteries and it didn't work either. I seriously doubt the back-up fob quit working at the same time as the main fob. Guess I'll be researching what it takes to re-sync the fobs.
Great post!
Sounds like you have a good dealer. In my area they are terrible. The expression pushing a rope comes to mind.

RE: 3. Campaign 115 Front Lower Arm Corrosion - dealer replaced both front lower arms

How would you rate the amount of corrosion /rust (if any) that was visible?
Did you see the old parts?

I ask because the 2007 Entourage I am the caretaker of was registered and spent time in the "Salt-Belt"... the car is currently in the south and want to get them replaced, vs just "sprayed" /coated.
PS: You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the TSB would you?

(HMAService is no longer free for personal use and you can no longer access TSB and Recall / Safety campaign info without paying?)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/186-e...ption-based-mods-why-you-locking-threads.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kia has Recalls already for the Sedona in regard to the Front Heater Pipe (SC101) and Rear Suspension (SC102).

I haven't seen anything in regard to the Entourage yet.

What is Hyundai TR8 and TR9? Not familiar with anything numbered that way. Anybody have a copy of those?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Kia has Recalls already for the Sedona in regard to the Front Heater Pipe (SC101) and Rear Suspension (SC102).

I haven't seen anything in regard to the Entourage yet.

What is Hyundai TR8 and TR9? Not familiar with anything numbered that way. Anybody have a copy of those?
I logged in last night to HMAService.

Typed the vin number and it was showing the "Campaigns" as not being done (which they haven't)

3. Campaign 115 Front Lower Arm Corrosion

When I tried "clicking" on them to gain more info... NOTHING.

According to SRB711 "Campaigns" are only viewable by the dealer.

Seems to me that Campaigns (AKA Recalls, but Hyundai/Kia doesn't like that word) that are SAFETY related like 115 for sure would be required to be readily available to all.

Read the tidbit about the Recall coming on the front end with interest I think back in Nov.... Now that it's out I can find no further info.

My concern is keeping the car for many years since it's paid for... I don't have much confidence in the workmanship of my local dealers "inspection" or judgment abilities.
(EG: I don't want to be given the run-around or them spray the lower control arms with whatever they happen to have laying around by a 16yr old kid who was flipping burgers at McDonald's last week so to speak and call it a day.)

Asked the below of SBR711, hoping he will respond back.
(The point of the questions getting the lower control arms replaced- as the car was bought new up north, was exposed to salted roads.)

Q: Does the recall info differentiate on the "levels" of corrosion? "ANY" corrosion?

Q: What "Areas" of the lower control arm being rusted justify them being replaced?

Q: What are the guidelines - Replace vs "Spray" over the rusted sections?

Q: What is the procedure to do so, EG: Is rust etched off /chemically removed, sandblasted, pressure washed first, OR is just some rustproofing spray applied?

Q: What is the name of the product used?
2 part type system like a two part epoxy paint / POR-15 ? OR whatever the dealer has on "hand".

Q: How much time is allotted to "respray"?

115 is a recall, not a TSB..

Recalls are not posted on the previous free site, have to be dealer to see campaigns..

Dealers must perform this Recall Campaign whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.

When a vehicle arrives at the Service Department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.

Description:

This bulletin describes the procedure to inspect and if necessary replace the front lower arms of certain Entourage (EP) vehicles.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:

VERIFY THAT THE VEHICLE IS IDENTIFIED AS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL CAMPAIGN VIA WEBDCS.

1. Model : Entourage (EP)

2. Production Date Range: From February 16, 2006 to June 30, 2008

3. Area: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia

There are circumstances under which vehicles not currently or never registered in a “salt belt” state may be eligible for this Campaign.

These circumstances include:

1. Vehicles that have relocated into a “salt belt” area and/or vehicles registered in a “non-salt belt” state and driven in a “salt belt” area. If it is determined that an owner of a vehicle within the affected VIN production date range relocates or has operated their vehicle in a “salt belt” area, the dealer should perform the campaign procedure. The dealer should perform this procedure at no cost to the customer, and the dealer’s District Parts and Service Manager must be contacted prior to repair and submission of Warranty Claim.

2. Vehicles in “non-salt belt” states that exhibit corrosion damage to the front lower arms. In the event that a vehicle in a “non-salt belt” state exhibits corrosion damage to the front lower arms, the dealer should perform the recall procedure. This applies to both “salt-belt” and “non-salt belt” state dealers. The dealer should perform this procedure at no cost to the customer, and the dealer’s District Parts and Service Manager must be contacted prior to repair and submission of Warranty Claim.

***If the owner of a vehicle within the affected VIN production date range requests an inspection of their vehicle to check for corrosion damage, the inspection should be performed at no charge to the customer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/campaign115

Hyundai is conducting a voluntary safety recall in the United States on certain 2007 through 2008 model year Entourage vehicles. This recall affects such vehicles originally sold in, or currently registered in and operated in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia (the Salt Belt). Road salt and water can enter portions of the front lower control arms leading to corrosion of the control arm steel.
All owners of record with affected vehicles will be contacted by first class mail and instructed to bring their vehicles to Hyundai dealers to have the front lower control arms inspected.

What will Hyundai do?

• The front lower control arms will be inspected for corrosion damage. The dealer will measure the thickness of the steel in the front lower control arms. Front lower control arms that do not require replacement will be treated with rust-proofing material to arrest the corrosion process. If specified levels of corrosion damage have occurred, the front lower control arms will be replaced with a new crossmember assembly with rust-proofing material applied. This procedure will be performed at no charge to you. It is always suggested that customers contact their local Hyundai dealer to schedule a service appointment. The dealer can advise you on the time needed for the repair.

If specified levels of corrosion damage have occurred, the front lower control arms will be replaced with a new crossmember assembly.

"Specified levels" as in?

Say they do a half-way job of "spraying" the control arms... and later I get in a bad wreck and I'm handicapped for life when the a-arm snaps off. What then besides suing them... them tying you up for years in court and whatnot.

I've seen pics of the control arms on other Hyundai/Kia's rusted all the way thru... Seems like this is a ongoing issue with Hyundai/Kia.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Here's an explanation of the campaign and procedure, the TSB goes into corrosion details and data.

IMHO, there will be more of this for all manufacturers as single source, interchangeable parts become even more of the build process. This will come as 3 post's and please ...... don't go waiving a piece of paper in front of someone "Yelling I have the........".

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
Campaign TR9, Heater Hose.

And please don't go "I have this .......... paper that....."

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
Campaign 115, Corrosion Front L/R Control Arm.

No Need for repetition, but I'm just saying ............ Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quick question:

Campaign 115 Front Lower Arm Corrosion, Entourage

Q: Could someone that has access to "54500-18GAP Front Lower Arm Thickness Gauge", which is used to determine if the arms are to replaced...

Please measure the (EXACT) GAP in the tool?

(This "gap" determines "how much rusting", or how much metal loss is "acceptable".)

Tool is a GO /No-Go gauge.... If you can insert it and it slides in, the arm isn't any good.

*Reason for asking is my local dealers are less than "trustworthy". I'd like to measure the metal myself, since it's my families life at stake..
(I'd feel badly if someone else on the road lost their life as well. I've seen the results of loss of steering.)

Please measure the gap, EG: post thickness of the steel tool deems as acceptable.

Life you save may be your own.

54500-18GAP Front Lower Arm Thickness Gauge_.JPG

·
Banned
532 Posts
TSB 14-01-002

Please, don't go waiving...........

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
14-01-003

Don't want to be a repeater, but don't go .........

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dropped the van off this morning at my mechanics shop to have him go over the van and replace the air intake hose. It needs new front brake pads and rotors too, my wife is one of those drivers that floors it when she takes off then slams on the brakes. I had 137k on my F-150 before I needed to get new brakes. Go figure.

I told my mechanic about the recalls/campaigns done at the dealer. He told me that he has been seeing Hyundai's with corroded front control arms, said sometimes the control arms break. He said the front control arms are made out of stamped steel and likened the design to a cardboard box; all closed up and taped shut a cardboard box is strong (maintains it's shape), cut a hole in one side and the box weakens dramatically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How would you rate the amount of corrosion /rust (if any) that was visible?
Did you see the old parts?

PS: You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the TSB would you?
Didn't see the parts, wife dropped off and picked up the van. I just have the invoice from the dealer, no TSB info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more thing that I just remembered. We received a recall/campaign latter re: the corroded lower control arms from Hyundai the day my wife picked up the van from the dealer. Ironic in a way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received the front lower control arm recall yesterday but not the recalls about rear corrosion or heater pipe...at least not yet. If I book an appointment to check the lower control arms is the dealer/service department responsible to check for these or any other recalls that have not been performed on my van?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes they will. It will show as an open recall for your van.

Should call ahead and make sure they have the heater pipes in stock before you go in.

Had my completed about a week ago - about 1.5 hrs to do all three recalls.

I received the front lower control arm recall yesterday but not the recalls about rear corrosion or heater pipe...at least not yet. If I book an appointment to check the lower control arms is the dealer/service department responsible to check for these or any other recalls that have not been performed on my van?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts