Hyundai Forums banner

2941 - 2960 of 2965 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
417 Posts
Timing chain, water pump, head, valves, oil pan, valve cover are included, injectors, starter,alternator, belt are not.You also get a red dipstick
Technically, the red dipstick came from an earlier recall to increase the amount of oil in the engine. If your original engine was working fine, the dipstick would be replaced from the yellow one to the red one as part of the recall. Replacement engines just happen to have the recall implemented and have the red dipstick already on them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The orange one was the longer one, when they did the software update.
yellow, orange, and red dipstick meanings in this link:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Uh, yeah, I'd hope the timing chain, water pump, etc. are included. It's supposed to be a long block, you're telling me they're going to open it up and transfer over an old timing chain? That's nuts. Then again, I've heard of dealers doing crazier/lazier things.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Technically, the red dipstick came from an earlier recall to increase the amount of oil in the engine. If your original engine was working fine, the dipstick would be replaced from the yellow one to the red one as part of the recall. Replacement engines just happen to have the recall implemented and have the red dipstick already on them.
Someone posted a shot of the yellow, orange, and red dipsticks (not sure who). Orange is the same length as red...orange (as already stated) after the update and red with the motor replacement.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Someone posted a shot of the yellow, orange, and red dipsticks (not sure who). Orange is the same length as red...orange (as already stated) after the update and red with the motor replacement.
I thought there was only yellow and red/orange. My mistake.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Uh, yeah, I'd hope the timing chain, water pump, etc. are included. It's supposed to be a long block, you're telling me they're going to open it up and transfer over an old timing chain? That's nuts. Then again, I've heard of dealers doing crazier/lazier things.
A "long block' is always with the heads, timing chain, usually water pump vs a "short block" no heads so no timing chain. All of the warranty engine replacements Ive heard of are long blocks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having gone through it, I have seen all 3.
Thing is, I've gone through it too... But I don't think I ever got the orange one. I clearly remember going to the dealership for it, but they didn't have the part. And I never got around to getting it because the engine failed not long after and I got the replacement one. So I guess I never knew there was an orange one and a red one.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Well, dealer just called said it's ready. 2-3 weeks went to 1 week pretty quick.

I asked if it was new or re-maned. His voice and tone changed the sec he heard me. Tech said it was a re manufactured motor.

Picking it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Picked it up today. Dealer put 9 miles on it test driving. 40 miles back home and no issues.

Weird thing. I didn't notice until I got home but on the paperwork the dealer has written down my mileage wrong quoting about 105k miles instead of the 201k. Not sure if it matters.

Anyone know what the warranty, if one, is one the reman motor?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I believe it’s a continuation of the original warranty. Being that you’re at 201k, you’re beyond that anyway. I’d ask the dealer.

That was the case when my mom’s Elantra needed an engine under warranty at 78k miles, at least. Obviously that engine wasn’t under a recall though (somehow), so YMMV.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Funny note. As I walked into the bay to pick the car up the rep was on the phone with another customer. They were towing their vehicle in with a blown engine too. I glanced at her compute screen and she had pulled up the recall info and I saw that the price for the engine was $3200 on her screen. No idea if that was new or remanned and what that priced entailed.

Wanted to add a couple of things the service rep at the dealer told me.

I asked how many of these blown engines she has seen. She said averages 4 a week. If you would have seen her demeanor and facial expression it said "A **** ton."

I asked if she's had to redo any replaced or re-maned engines yet. She said no.

I asked her to guess the average miles on the blown engines. She said 160k ish and that she has yet to have hyundai to push back on approving a replacement. Mileage has not been an issue. Yet.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Nice thing about the red dipstick is you can now dump the full 5 quarts in with Hyundai approval. :)
Red and orange are the same length...I have orange and I have to add 5.2. Not sure if the the oil pan capacities are the same.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I asked her to guess the average miles on the blown engines. She said 160k ish and that she has yet to have hyundai to push back on approving a replacement. Mileage has not been an issue. Yet.
I'm at 164K...OH NO! :eek:;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2012 in with 164,000, bang.....

2941 - 2960 of 2965 Posts