Hyundai Forums banner

2921 - 2940 of 2965 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Great, get the KSDS update done and hopefully we'll hear back positive results, and with the lifetime warranty, can't go wrong.

I'll repeat that they replaced the engine in the '11 Optima 2.0T for high oil consumption, 2 qts. 730 miles, with 172,000 miles, 8 days, along with no cost and a free loaner. Can't beat the deal and the replacement engine comes with the Lifetime Warranty to all owners, so hopefully that would be a great selling point when car replacement becomes necessary.
Well, you talked me into scheduling the update but then COVID hit and I put it off.

5 days ago wife called while driving it and asked if the care had been "missing". I said no and she brought it home. As she pulled into the driveway it stalled again.

Knock, Knock.Who's there? My engine...

201,858 miles.

Dealership said Hyundai approved "complete engine". 2-3 weeks.

Picking up rental in the morning.

So, do I have the mileage record for a new engine at 201,858?

If anyone cares. Oil changes done between 5000-7500 miles with basic fram oil filter. I did a few changes and Walmart the rest. Was using a tad bit of oil but nothing odd to me, I had a 96 Saturn that drank it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Wow. Ask ANY domestic manufacturer to cover a 200K engine and get laughed out the service drive!
Seriously? The only reason Hyundai is covering it is due to ALL the issues they had with ThetaII. 132....168...etc.

And remember Hyundai had to be backed into a corner before they covered it as a recall and blamed early warranty claims on the customer.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
google Toyota engine sludging. Or GM 6.0: piston slap. Ford Powerstroke cylinder porosity. Lots of companies have had bad engines, rarely will you see a warranty extended beyond the warranty, much less 200K.

·
Registered
536 Posts
google Toyota engine sludging. Or GM 6.0: piston slap. Ford Powerstroke cylinder porosity. Lots of companies have had bad engines, rarely will you see a warranty extended beyond the warranty, much less 200K.
Yeah, I've been really surprised that Hyundai has been honoring these claims. It's nice to see a manufacturer owning up to a crappy engine.

Reactions: williamhood

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yeah, I've been really surprised that Hyundai has been honoring these claims. It's nice to see a manufacturer owning up to a crappy engine.
The elephant in the room to me is why so many are failing, while others are running well over 100K with no issues. Would make some really interesting failure analysis study. See this in all brands, you get an engine design that averages, say, 125K with no major issues while some percentage fail early and others go 300K and still running strong. Local dealer had several XD series Elantras they serviced that were over 300K on the original motors! Daughters 2006 Elantra (XD series) was at 147K trouble free miles when it got hit by a Freightliner flatbed. She came through with concussion and bruised knee, car was shortened by 3'.

Not defending Hyundai on the 2.4L, but just interesting to wonder if the longevity is tied to bearings initially set up loose, or tight, or whatever.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
417 Posts
The elephant in the room to me is why so many are failing, while others are running well over 100K with no issues. Would make some really interesting failure analysis study. See this in all brands, you get an engine design that averages, say, 125K with no major issues while some percentage fail early and others go 300K and still running strong. Local dealer had several XD series Elantras they serviced that were over 300K on the original motors! Daughters 2006 Elantra (XD series) was at 147K trouble free miles when it got hit by a Freightliner flatbed. She came through with concussion and bruised knee, car was shortened by 3'.

Not defending Hyundai on the 2.4L, but just interesting to wonder if the longevity is tied to bearings initially set up loose, or tight, or whatever.
They have fixed the processes along the way, and lowered the output, so chances are, newer engines last longer. It’d be interesting to see the model year along with the mileage when they fail.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Replacing engines is Hyundai's punishment for not replacing engines under warranty and blaming the consumer for all engine failures.

If badly engineered Hyundai supported their owners, their would be no class action lawsuit and they wouldn't have taken a beating.

Enjoy your new/rebuilt engine in your 200k mile vehicle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been checked out of this thread for a little while now, but didn't it come down to the incorrect type (low tension) of piston rings used on the GDI engines? That would certainly cause a problem, and it makes a lot of sense.
However, that doesn't explain why some last 200k+, meanwhile you have others failing at under 50k miles. I think Hyundai's engine building is very spotty and poor.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I've been checked out of this thread for a little while now, but didn't it come down to the incorrect type (low tension) of piston rings used on the GDI engines?
The whistleblower in Korea mentions they knew of cylinder warp (not cooling properly/going out of round) causing seizure of the piston. They are not admitting what is wrong...just that they will make good on the warranty of same.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Do you think when they say, "debris left after the cleaning process" they actually mean silica that is left in the water jacket restricting water flow? (Read previous post if necessary to understand)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wonder if the going out of round is caused by running the engine at low RPM under max torque in eco mode, combined with the short piston skirts. It would put enormous side thrust on the pistons into the walls with little surface area to spread the force out.

Reactions: DarrenBach

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do you think when they say, "debris left after the cleaning process" they actually mean silica that is left in the water jacket restricting water flow? (Read previous post if necessary to understand)
Huh... you may be onto something. A good cooling system flush would likely clean that out though, no?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wonder if the going out of round is caused by running the engine at low RPM under max torque in eco mode, combined with the short piston skirts. It would put enormous side thrust on the pistons into the walls with little surface area to spread the force out.
No, cylinder temps and pressure.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata GLS
53 Posts
Mr. Engine blown at 201,858 reporting back,

Got a call from my Hyundai Case Worker. I asked if it was a small block and she said "it just says new engine". All she could "see" was it was under the 132 recall. She told me the process to get reimbursed for the tow, $233. Day 3 of rental. They put me in a Nissan Armada. This thing is the size of a tank.

She did say any accessories like starter would not be replaced, just "engine". I asked just in case the engine caused issues with anything else. She said anything needing replaced due to the engine death would need to be submitted by the dealer with proof. Hope that isn't needed. And that old belts, timing chain would be reused.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Easy to pay for new serpentine belt and radiator hoses....and have drivetrain mounts inspected

Talk to the dealer and verify what is or isnt included

Its a long block

·
Registered
115 Posts
Timing chain, water pump, head, valves, oil pan, valve cover are included, injectors, starter,alternator, belt are not.You also get a red dipstick

2921 - 2940 of 2965 Posts