Hyundai Forums banner

2901 - 2913 of 2913 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
What has oil consumption have to do with it?
Pre-mature failure of rod/main bearings is often attributed to oil starvation (low oil volume, blocked oil passages, bad/old oil) and some of these engines have been prone to "using" more oil between changes than others. That is why some engines are replaced when the rod/main bearings fail prematurely and others are replaced because of high oil consumption. The concern here is that some engines use oil at a higher rate than typical and end up killing the bearings from oil starvation. Typically modern engines can go a 5K mile oil change interval without using more than a quart of oil. Most 2.4L engines can, but an unacceptable percentage of these cannot. And the first indication the driver gets that oil usage is above normal is the knocking of the rods or the "Check Engine" light coming on. In this case, "Check Engine" can mean "check the engine carefully so you get the right one to replace this one that just bought the farm." :)

GENERALLY speaking, an engine with worn rod/main bearings can be kept alive for a while with a higher viscosity oil. See STP. But worn rod/main bearings will eventually fail whether due to oil starvation or just plain high mileage end of life. Back in the day many a high mileage engine had it's life extended by replacing rod/main bearings, piston rings, cylinder honing, and if needed, a valve job. Now the labor costs are so high it is easier to just pick up a low mileage used engine or a quality remanufactured engine.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Pre-mature failure of rod/main bearings is often attributed to oil starvation (low oil volume, blocked oil passages, bad/old oil) and some of these engines have been prone to "using" more oil between changes than others. That is why some engines are replaced when the rod/main bearings fail prematurely and others are replaced because of high oil consumption. The concern here is that some engines use oil at a higher rate than typical and end up killing the bearings from oil starvation. Typically modern engines can go a 5K mile oil change interval without using more than a quart of oil. Most 2.4L engines can, but an unacceptable percentage of these cannot. And the first indication the driver gets that oil usage is above normal is the knocking of the rods or the "Check Engine" light coming on. In this case, "Check Engine" can mean "check the engine carefully so you get the right one to replace this one that just bought the farm." :)

GENERALLY speaking, an engine with worn rod/main bearings can be kept alive for a while with a higher viscosity oil. See STP. But worn rod/main bearings will eventually fail whether due to oil starvation or just plain high mileage end of life. Back in the day many a high mileage engine had it's life extended by replacing rod/main bearings, piston rings, cylinder honing, and if needed, a valve job. Now the labor costs are so high it is easier to just pick up a low mileage used engine or a quality remanufactured engine.
Used to be when bearings were worn and caused low oil pressure one would hear it in the top end - valve train or at idle the low oil pressure light would come on, often the same with low oil volume . when Hyundai did the recall with mic listening test for my 2011 to 2014 IIRC - if you passed you received a new dipstick and an oil change which raised the oil volume by approx .5 quart. I had that test done on our 2013 but there was no mention, suggestion or reminder to check the oil level often between changes or as prescribed by the owners manual. Seems somewhat odd to me that if low oil volume was causing some of the engine failures that Hyundai didn't advise frequent checks as many people don't bother checking the oil level. But maybe they knew when an engine began to consume excessive amounts of oil it was going to eventually fail.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hit 200,500 miles. Have not gotten the update. Still mini oil use.

Oh, but I did get my 775756765454 recall. This one for my seat belt not staying clicked. It's been doing it for a couple months. As long as I tug on it it sets.

I don't want the knock update but if I take it on for the airbag (another recall) and seat belt I won't have a choice. As a side note, no issues with the civic we bough in october.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I don't want the knock update but if I take it on for the airbag (another recall) and seat belt I won't have a choice. As a side note, no issues with the civic we bough in october.
Not sure if it's different when you take the vehicle in for another recall but I did my annual visit to the dealership last Nov for my odo reading and refused the 953 update - didn't encounter any resistance. In your case with the mileage I'd might get in done as you could wind up with a new engine - my assumption being that given it's a Theta II and your crank bearing days are likely short in number. The airbag and seat belt sound more like legitimate safety related recalls and Hyundai could have liability exposure if they refuse to do them and something bad happens. I think you hold more cards here than you realize. I have given notice I'd sue a dealer before if a fault that constituted a safety issue wasn't taken care of and suddenly my problem was resolved.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure if it's different when you take the vehicle in for another recall but I did my annual visit to the dealership last Nov for my odo reading and refused the 953 update - didn't encounter any resistance. In your case with the mileage I'd might get in done as you could wind up with a new engine - my assumption being that given it's a Theta II and your crank bearing days are likely short in number. The airbag and seat belt sound more like legitimate safety related recalls and Hyundai could have liability exposure if they refuse to do them and something bad happens. I think you hold more cards here than you realize. I have given notice I'd sue a dealer before if a fault that constituted a safety issue wasn't taken care of and suddenly my problem was resolved.
My mileage is above the extended warranty. I just don't see them giving me an engine if mine goes out.

It's a 2 hour round trip drive to the dealer. My laziness often wins...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Someone recently here, got a new motor with something like 235K miles...so never give up!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lifetime warranty on engine for original and replacement engine, plus all owners IF the KSDS update is done, so if not done hope you have deep pockets.

Really don't know why people hedge on getting the update as the percentage of problems associated with the update is very minimal, almost nil considering the millions of cars that have had the update.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Lifetime warranty on engine for original and replacement engine, plus all owners IF the KSDS update is done, so if not done hope you have deep pockets.

Really don't know why people hedge on getting the update as the percentage of problems associated with the update is very minimal, almost nil considering the millions of cars that have had the update.
Can you provide statistics about that very minimal percentage you cite (Hyundai doesn't) and produce the statement that requires KSDS to qualify for the lifetime warranty ?

thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can you provide statistics about that very minimal percentage you cite (Hyundai doesn't) and produce the statement that requires KSDS to qualify for the lifetime warranty ?
thanks
Can you supply statistics on the number that have had problems? No.
Juust wanted to add that only experience with 3 dealerships lead to me to believe the problematic cases with the KSDS update is low.

Under Lifetime Warranty.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Under Lifetime Warranty.
That's a well written article, I think for 2018 Hyundai had financially set aside $800 million for the Theta II debacle, the settlement article cites $758M , so I'm thinking this is going to cost Hyundai well over $1B , but the settlement seems fair and Hyundai avoids further legal proceedings and negative publicity.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I had missed that update. Didn't know the settlement was that far along. You've convinced me. Much appreciate you pointing it out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Great, get the KSDS update done and hopefully we'll hear back positive results, and with the lifetime warranty, can't go wrong.

I'll repeat that they replaced the engine in the '11 Optima 2.0T for high oil consumption, 2 qts. 730 miles, with 172,000 miles, 8 days, along with no cost and a free loaner. Can't beat the deal and the replacement engine comes with the Lifetime Warranty to all owners, so hopefully that would be a great selling point when car replacement becomes necessary.

2901 - 2913 of 2913 Posts